Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I've stated in multiple places the compensation amount covers TT&L fees.

It logically follows that we aren't being compensated for the fraud. That should be the point of discussion, not whether we ought to get our fees back ( because we ought to and we are)

As for mileage claims, I'm of the opinion our odometer should have been frozen at the point of the fraudulent disclosure. I also parked the car however so if you try and paint me with your gimme brush you're going to have difficulty in that regard.

Or at least a reasonable monthly mileage allowance, because 1042 miles a month is a low ball figure. Considering most people who bought these vehicles did so with the intention of driving considerably more miles than the average consumer. I personally averaged almost 35,000 miles per year, across the 2 years I've owned the vehicle. While I'll agree that's well above even the average TDI driver, it still leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth about the monthly mileage figure. Something between 15,000-20,000 would seem to make more sense for most.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I don't understand why they won't let you change your mind in the web portal. You have to call and wait on hold instead. That is stupid.

Looks to me like this is a place holder and a way for them to begin scheduling. The date I was given for buy back was November 1st as well. So not sure if we are first in line or if that is the default.

Right now I'm leaning more toward just doing the fix. I actually get more as a result, including the ability to keep the car. Wish we knew more about the fix right now though. Hard to decide otherwise.

ben

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I don't understand why they won't let you change your mind in the web portal. You have to call and wait on hold instead. That is stupid.
Agreed. There's simply no clear reason to allow us to register and make the initial election online, but then lock it in so it can only be changed over the phone.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Agreed. There's simply no clear reason to allow us to register and make the initial election online, but then lock it in so it can only be changed over the phone.

Well it says explicitly in several bold, underline prints that this isn't a permanent commitment to either choice, and that you can change at time. But they will use the information to see what kind of buy back/fix ratio they're looking at, as well as how many people are actually in the know.

JMugmon

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I am curious...has anyone who registered their online claim received a 'tentative return date' other than 1-NOV? I am wondering if they are actually making appointments or just giving an estimated date.

- j

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I am curious...has anyone who registered their online claim received a 'tentative return date' other than 1-NOV? I am wondering if they are actually making appointments or just giving an estimated date.

- j

You can change the date, NOV 1 is just the default setting. I changed mine to 20 JUN 17.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
I've stated in multiple places the compensation amount covers TT&L fees.

It logically follows that we aren't being compensated for the fraud. That should be the point of discussion, not whether we ought to get our fees back ( because we ought to and we are)

As for mileage claims, I'm of the opinion our odometer should have been frozen at the point of the fraudulent disclosure. I also parked the car however so if you try and paint me with your gimme brush you're going to have difficulty in that regard.
The fraud on the buyer (unless the eventual 'fix' dramatically lowers mileage and/or power) was minimal. This was fraud against society through higher emissions and they are paying in massive fines to the government for that.

Last edited:

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Or at least a reasonable monthly mileage allowance, because 1042 miles a month is a low ball figure. Considering most people who bought these vehicles did so with the intention of driving considerably more miles than the average consumer.
Is that based on any data? I keep hearing that on the forum here but clearly VW would not have pulled that number out of thin air. The lawyers (govt and plaintiffs on the other side) would not have allowed that.

I am looking at fuelly for 2014 TDI Passats and see less than 9k miles/yr. Fuelly likely skews heavily towards those who drive a lot, offsetting the under reporting from inconsistent tracking so the numbers may not be that far off from reality. 2015s also show about the same. (not using older vintages as Fuelly may not have been that popular early on).

Does anyone have any better data source?

trp3383

TDI
Passat
I found a used car on a small lot but don't know if it would count towards a buyback. It states on the carfax that it was in an accident and also had structural damage. But it has a clean title. Would I be ok with the buyback? Thanks

rd17vwtdi

TDI
2012 Golf TDi

- j

If you hover over the Question Mark next to Tentative Return Date, it very clearly states that your not actually scheduling an appt.

The ONLY reason the Return Date section is even there at all is so people can plug in their estimated Monthly Mileage and test out different Return Dates to see how it will impact the BuyBack Amt. That's its only purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Is that based on any data? I keep hearing that on the forum here but clearly VW would not have pulled that number out of thin air. The lawyers (govt and plaintiffs on the other side) would not have allowed that.
I am looking at fuelly for 2014 TDI Passats and see less than 9k miles/yr. Fuelly likely skews heavily towards those who drive a lot, offsetting the under reporting from inconsistent tracking so the numbers may not be that far off from reality. 2015s also show about the same. (not using older vintages as Fuelly may not have been that popular early on).
Does anyone have any better data source?

How did you get 9,000?

When I went to Fuelly, searched 2014 Passats with a 2.0 L4 Diesel (211 records total) and the "sedan" body style selected, I get this at the top of my screen.

"Based on data from 97 vehicles, 5,146 fuel-ups and 2,985,128 miles of driving, the 2014 Volkswagen Passat gets a combined Avg MPG of 40.39 with a 0.15 MPG margin of error."

2,985,128 (total miles) / 97 (vehicles) / 2 (assuming two full years of ownership) = 15,387.257 per year

If you get more specific and use the TDI SE as the submodel, instead of all. You get;

"Based on data from 53 vehicles, 2,931 fuel-ups and 1,747,255 miles of driving, the 2014 Volkswagen Passat gets a combined Avg MPG of 41.60 with a 0.19 MPG margin of error."

1,757,255 / 53 / 2 = 16,483.537 per year

So how you got 9,000 from Fuelly is beyond me, not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering how you got your figure.

Last edited:

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
How did you get 9,000?

When I went to Fuelly, searched 2014 Passats with a 2.0 L4 Diesel (211 records total) and the "sedan" body style selected, I get this at the top of my screen.

"Based on data from 97 vehicles, 5,146 fuel-ups and 2,985,128 miles of driving, the 2014 Volkswagen Passat gets a combined Avg MPG of 40.39 with a 0.15 MPG margin of error."

2,985,128 (total miles) / 97 (vehicles) / 2 (assuming two full years of ownership) = 15,387.257 per year

If you get more specific and use the TDI SE as the submodel, instead of all. You get;

"Based on data from 53 vehicles, 2,931 fuel-ups and 1,747,255 miles of driving, the 2014 Volkswagen Passat gets a combined Avg MPG of 41.60 with a 0.19 MPG margin of error."

1,757,255 / 53 / 2 = 16,483.537 per year

So how you got 9,000 from Fuelly is beyond me, not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering how you got your figure.
Click through to 2014 Volkswagen Passat from the main Passat page.

Then subselect 2.0L L4 Diesel (211 cars, 5,485,923 miles, 40.04mpg)

and then select L4 Diesel (131 cars, 2,654,110 miles, 40.03mpg)

Combined, you get 23,801 miles per vehicle.

2014 model was launched in mid-2013, which would be 3 years back. So assuming 2.5 yrs of average ownership gets you to 9.5k miles/yr.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Looks to me like this is a place holder and a way for them to begin scheduling. The date I was given for buy back was November 1st as well. So not sure if we are first in line or if that is the default.

Right now I'm leaning more toward just doing the fix. I actually get more as a result, including the ability to keep the car. Wish we knew more about the fix right now though. Hard to decide otherwise.

ben
I was able to get two different "DATES" in the calculations.

One for this fall 2016 and one for fall 2018.

In my case the results were the same.

$25,272.53

Plugged in 2018 ~~ but it clearly says it is a tentative date.

Money in the (VW) bank ~~ unless I highway cream it:eek:

... Or as my sister has worried about ~~ vw BANKRUPTCY

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
2014 model was launched in mid-2013, which would be 3 years back. So assuming 2.5 yrs of average ownership gets you to 9.5k miles/yr.

This is where we differ. I was looking at the "date added" metric. Most seem to fall between the middle months of 2014, with 2 or 3 in December 2013 and 1 in September 2013. Granted I only went 3 of 23 pages deep and was using a nice round 2 years of ownership given the information I saw. Also noticed a few added in 2015 and 2016, which skews it oddly as well considering those cars might have untracked miles as they were bought used.

Perhaps it not as an efficient tool to track driving for yearly mileage as we thought, just for what it is, tank to tank efficiency.

Going off my personal experience, and a few others here, I bought the car because nothing else could provide this type of efficiency, at this size, price point and diesel was cheaper, still is, than gas. And with me changing jobs and my commute jumping to 153 miles a day, it was the only real choice at the time, given the above requirements.

How many miles are on your 14? Just curious. :D

Exstereo

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI MT, 01 Passat Wagon 1.8t

- j
I don't think that the general public know that you can register yet. A lot of people still have know idea this is even going on. Less then 500 people even answered the mod sell do nothing poll. Which is less then 0.1% of all effected. So. All the November 1 dates may be legitimate.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Going off my personal experience, and a few others here, I bought the car because nothing else could provide this type of efficiency, at this size, price point and diesel was cheaper, still is, than gas. And with me changing jobs and my commute jumping to 153 miles a day, it was the only real choice at the time, given the above requirements.

How many miles are on your 14? Just curious. :D
Bought late Dec 2014, am on 25k.

For a while, with gas at close to $4 it looked like a good idea. But with gas prices having collapsed since, the b/e point for gas vs. diesel has been blown out significantly, from about 80k miles when I bought to 165k miles at today's prices.

At least I bought the car about 2.5k off MSRP, otherwise the b/e to the gasser would have been an unattainable 300k miles by now.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And we get to drive with out the dreaded fix for more time

Whether the dollar amount is pleasing or not

we get to drive with out the dreaded fix for more time :D:D:D:D

Great torque, MPG, & HP

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I called the claims number today because I had a couple of questions about the online form. The claims person told me that your buyback appointment is determined by when you log on and select the buyback option. He told me if I select buyback today, my appointment would probably be in the first week of the program.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It's 211 rather than 131. The L4 diesel and 2.0 L4 diesel are the same with some people not selecting engine displacement. Unless there is some other engine displacement I'm unaware of, but even still if it was including extra engines the total would go up not down.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I called the claims number today because I had a couple of questions about the online form. The claims person told me that your buyback appointment is determined by when you log on and select the buyback option. He told me if I select buyback today, my appointment would probably be in the first week of the program.
Keep in mind the date is tentative

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Bought late Dec 2014, am on 25k.
For a while, with gas at close to $4 it looked like a good idea. But with gas prices having collapsed since, the b/e point for gas vs. diesel has been blown out significantly, from about 80k miles when I bought to 165k miles at today's prices.
At least I bought the car about 2.5k off MSRP, otherwise the b/e to the gasser would have been an unattainable 300k miles by now.
I'm in the same boat at as you. While my 54 total miles commuted each day hasn't changed, the fact that gas has remained cheap all this time made the tdi a pointless purchase over a similar priced gas vehicle.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Has anyone found the specific date when the (1042 mi/mo) mileage allocation gets rolled over each month?

Just wondering if it is the 1st of the month, or the 18th.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
saw tv ad from law firm about dieselgate today

Saw a tv ad about the emissions kerfuffle and checked out their website.

www.emissionsripoff.com

Excerpts from the website:

"Owners of affected vehicles will have to go through a process that will determine how much compensation they will receive from Volkswagen. This process includes frequent deadlines and specific information that must be submitted correctly and on time."

"Regardless, owners of affected “Clean Diesel” vehicles now have a choice to make and a complicated process that they’ll need to go through in order to receive compensation from Volkswagen. The Driscoll Firm can help victims of Volkswagen’s consumer fraud determine which option will be most beneficial to them."

"At The Driscoll Firm, our attorneys can help you through the complicated and time-consuming Volkswagen settlement claims process. Learn more about your legal rights and taking action today by contacting The Driscoll Firm..."

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
For those discussing the mileage figures: Keep in mind that NADA defines "average" miles per year to be 15000 for a used car; and KBB uses 14000/ year. No matter who you ask in the actual industry; 12000/year is a lowball figure...

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
It's 211 rather than 131. The L4 diesel and 2.0 L4 diesel are the same with some people not selecting engine displacement. Unless there is some other engine displacement I'm unaware of, but even still if it was including extra engines the total would go up not down.
If someone doesnt select displacement, they tag it as a separate category. I checked, the total number of 2014s is a sum of the two.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
8282.86 after VW pays off my loan at VW credit, or 6917.93 taking the fix.
OK- but is it not true that in case "A" (which is presumably the buyback) you no longer have a loan, while in case "B" you will still have the same loan and be paying on it. I'm thinking that the loan should be somehow reflected in this comparison.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
If someone doesnt select displacement, they tag it as a separate category. I checked, the total number of 2014s is a sum of the two.
I understand now. The way you wrote it out implied to me that you used one rather than summing the two together. There is also a lone "diesel" that should be included in the sum but I didn't calculate what difference it made to what you guys are doing with those data because it's not particularly useful trying to make an estimation from an unrepresentative sample size of about 350 diesels ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.