It's (semi) Official. 2015 owners get the shaft

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
It appears that the estimated amounts in the tables weren't estimated at all. No options will be added for 2015 owners so anything extra we paid for doesn't impact our settlement in the least. Way to go VW for shaving a few dollars off the settlement amount at risk of making your newest customers mad.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
It appears that the estimated amounts in the tables weren't estimated at all. No options will be added for 2015 owners so anything extra we paid for doesn't impact our settlement in the least. Way to go VW for shaving a few dollars off the settlement amount at risk of making your newest customers mad.
How do you figure? First the 2015 drivers get the biggest restitution money
not to mention higher blue book. I don't recall but they did give you differential
for S, SE, SEL... Yes? You will likely get more than you paid for it, even with options.

Also it is likely a fix will be forth coming for the later VW TDI's + restitution money...

You definition of getting the shaft (driving a car for free and making money on it) is not logical.

DanCsTDI

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Mine didn't seem to calculate based on the tables. I double checked. I have low mileage and should get an extra $800ish. That is what I am off. Might just be something with their program. Figure I will call when things calm down a little. Either way I am about even. Got a free car for 1.5 years. Can't really complain.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
This is literally the most absolute garbage offer I have ever seen. I can't believe this. My 2015 TDI SEL, fully loaded with everything was worth 19500 on sept 19th. Get the hell out of here VW.

I paid into my loan approx 7k and get nothing back for driving it a little over a year? I bought my car in July 2015 my car appearently depreciated in three months from 29k to 19.5k, on what earth?

So they basically are giving me nothing. By the time the buyback comes around I will have 24345 on my loan still left, so they will pay the rest off and I walk with nothing? This is insanity

Last edited:

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
How do you figure? First the 2015 drivers get the biggest restitution money
not to mention higher blue book. I don't recall but they did give you differential
for S, SE, SEL... Yes? You will likely get more than you paid for it, even with options.

Also it is likely a fix will be forth coming for the later VW TDI's + restitution money...

You definition of getting the shaft (driving a car for free and making money on it) is not logical.
We get the biggest restitution because they're the newest cars. It's not like were getting a special door prize, it's based off 20% of the NADA value. The joke here is that VW is claiming that the NADA value last September was, as the above poster showed, way less than what it really was. By way less were talking 1500-2500. A screenshot of the NADA guide value was posted and it was more than the 20k they're claiming was the NADA value in Sep last year.

Last edited:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
We get the biggest restitution because they're the newest cars. It's not like were getting a special door prize,
What difference does the newest car make? Two people pay 30k into a fraud, and you are basically saying you deserve double what the earlier buyer receives. Why should the timing of VW's catch benefit your restitution more? Just asking.

2015golfwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon
I don't really get what some here are talking about. I bought my car a TDI SEL Wagon April of 2015. The buyback is a shade over 32 grand, I paid 31 grand for the car. In my book it's not a bad deal to have driven the car a year and half and around 20K miles and come out around even.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
If you are a victim of fraud you should be made whole. Get back whatever you paid. Those lucky folks who got a great deal and are actually making money should not and those losing should not. Pretty simple concept.

Btw I am not unhappy with what I am getting, just seems unfair to almost everyone except VW who walks away with a loss of a years profit.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
If you are a victim of fraud you should be made whole. Get back whatever you paid. Those lucky folks who got a great deal and are actually making money should not and those losing should not. Pretty simple concept.

Btw I am not unhappy with what I am getting, just seems unfair to almost everyone except VW who walks away with a loss of a years profit.
You sir quit trying to take away my prophet. Just because I got my 2013 Golf TDi 6M for $17k (+tax/title) back in 11/2014 with 44k on the odo and it now has 90k and is worth an estimated 20,500 to 21,000. I didn't ask for this prophet nor did I ever expect it when I originally purchased. It just works out since my DMF is acting up.

Also the way you're saying this ordeal should work is on a basis by basis situation where every owner is basically treated differently. You have to see how this will never work.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
And it's not a years profit; VW has pulled out of the South Korean market; the second largest market they have in Asia. They have said small diesels are pretty much done with in the states. Germany has said they are trying to figure out what to ask from VW because they don't want to be "unreasonable" unlike their "friends" across the Atlantic. VW is in serious trouble here, and while I think they will pull through, it is not out of the realm of possibility that they will not survive this once all the dust settles.
My 2010 Cup Edition has just under 30k on the clock. It also has had over $20k in mods done to it. It will not be bought back; thankfully come January it can have permanent plates put on it.
-BB

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Interesting......the initial value for my 2015 Golf TDI SEL with lighting pkg was approximately $29,500.

I signed up last night and the value I was provided was just shy of $30,300. I am more then happy with it.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
I'm at the lower end of the bracket, They'd give me $21k for my 2013 Golf that I bought in August of last year. Only owe maybe $10k on it now so getting $11k to go and find a new car that drives like my Golf wont happen.

Going for in my case the $6k option of taking the cash and the fix. That'll put a dent in my student loans.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
As a 2015 owner....
We apparently have the cars that will be the simplest to fix...
And cars that might be in the biggest demand used....
Perhaps a buyback doesn't make sense....
But getting 2/3 the repair $$ and the selling it to another buyer does who wants a tdi...then they will end up with the last 1/3.... Depends how fast you sell....you could wait...and go that way, but I am assuming you are "done" with it....
Fact is all these cars took a hit when we drove off the lot.
The 2015 cars are no different. It just becomes more apparent with the VW formula for the buy-back. Reality is, a $10k loss of value new sticker to used instantly is about right....73% of it sticker is what they are offering...about right...higher optioned cars ALWAYS TSKECA BIGGER HIT.
Those of us that bought at a great discount will do ok if we sell back....not great...
But look at it this way...
We might have the gems of tdi ...the pinnacle of tdi technology. Enjoy it...folks are trying to find ways to buy new ones street on the dealers lots...bet they are pretty basic cars...so there is a market for them...
I understand some 2015 owners got dreaming about new cars and NOT taking a $$ hit...but one thing you learn...buying new is an instant $10,000 hit if you sell it in less than 2-5 years....
Know I can't convince anybody who has a 2025 different...but simple fact is we apparently have the "clean DIESEL" that VW was selling....we get a couple more sensors and an extra warrenty....a tweak on the DEF system...but we were defrauded the LEAST and for the shortest time.
The older gen1 cars will NEVER MEET the actual spec. They will meet a softened spec, and have credits bought for them to nullify their existence, past and future if needed. So it cost more $$ to both keep them on the road and that's WHY VW wants them gone, hence the higher buyback $$. fortunately for us they have some real issues....things we don't have issues with in the ea288 we hope).
Just trying to be the voice of reason as a fellow 2015 owner.

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG

Sorry, I have to disagree with this.

My options are being picked up - I stated in another thread last night that my $ jumped by $1.7k, which is exactly how much the Driver Assistance plus Lighting package cost.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Mark Twain said "Comparison is the death of joy." And I think everybody realizes there were bound to be differences in what the various models and model years got out of this, since things are based on trade-in values, as well as age and mileage. It's much better not to concern oneself with what someone else is getting for their car, and be concerned with making the best choice here and moving on.
Overall, from what I can see, the settlement process has been both rapid and fair.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I'm at the lower end of the bracket, They'd give me $21k for my 2013 Golf that I bought in August of last year. Only owe maybe $10k on it now so getting $11k to go and find a new car that drives like my Golf wont happen.
Going for in my case the $6k option of taking the cash and the fix. That'll put a dent in my student loans.
One tip...if you still have a loan on the car, and no "gap" coverage, you might want too keep the $$ handy....total the car and you might be upsidedown...can keep the $$ as an off set of sorts, kinds like accounting. When you get to the breakeven point on the car, the risk is gone...THEN SPEND THE $$ on paying down other debts.
I have gap coverage....only cost me $100...
I'll be fine ...can use the $$ ...but since I have the coverage, I WON'T PAY DOWN the loan faster...the interest rate is just too low.

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
My sticker was $33000 and some change. Buyback is $32473. I'm getting about $150 more than my Out The Door price. Good discount on the car and low mileage working in my favor. Even so it's barely acceptable.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
I don't really get what some here are talking about. I bought my car a TDI SEL Wagon April of 2015. The buyback is a shade over 32 grand, I paid 31 grand for the car. In my book it's not a bad deal to have driven the car a year and half and around 20K miles and come out around even.
Yes that's the problem. My 2015 SEL golf has a shade over 20k too and I'm getting 27 and change. If I was getting 32 grand back I wouldn't be complaining at all.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Sorry, I have to disagree with this.

My options are being picked up - I stated in another thread last night that my $ jumped by $1.7k, which is exactly how much the Driver Assistance plus Lighting package cost.
Interesting because I entered my VIN and my buyback is what all the calculators are showing. Lighting package didn't make a bit of difference.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
We also had to enter our date of purchase - mine was 7/17/2015, so I have only been driving it for a year. Some 2015s have been on the road for 2 years.

Not apples to apples.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Bring, I check against mileage and if I change from having 30k right now in mileage to 15k and I go from 23k estimated offer to a 25k offer. This is such bull. I bought my car to drive it not baby it. I put ~ 1400-1600 miles on my car any given month.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
We also had to enter our date of purchase - mine was 7/17/2015, so I have only been driving it for a year. Some 2015s have been on the road for 2 years.

Not apples to apples.
So imagine how bad the numbers look on a 2014 bought in August 2014, after 2015s had been on sale for over a month. Car had 13 months on it when this broke. At least the 15's have an easy fix, heck they might not need anything other than a reflash and a sensor down the road. Look at CARBs graph, 2015 could well be under 0.05 already, it's well under 0.1 anyway. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/consent_decree_graph.pdf

wisserbill

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Official and unofficial estimates off by $1500 for 2015 Golf?

My official estimate is $1500 less than the unofficial one, using the settlement tables and the helpful calculator on this site. Am I doing something wrong?

Details:
2015 Golf SE manual trans; 11,000 odo

Unofficial calculations:
27,202 Base - 810 (trans) + 870 (mileage) = $27,202
Confirmed through manual calculation and through the
unofficial calculator

Official calculations:
18,917 (return amount) + 6770.13 (restitution) = $25687.13
Official VWGOA calculation
I'm not complaining, since the official calculation is basically what I paid less taxes. But I didn't expect the unofficial and official estimates to be off by $1500 so I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I purchased it in July 2014, but I put in July 2015 just to see if there was any impact on the calculation and there wasn't.

Thanks,

Bill

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
So imagine how bad the numbers look on a 2014 bought in August 2014, after 2015s had been on sale for over a month. Car had 13 months on it when this broke. At least the 15's have an easy fix, heck they might not need anything other than a reflash and a sensor down the road. Look at CARBs graph, 2015 could well be under 0.05 already, it's well under 0.1 anyway. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/consent_decree_graph.pdf
This is the thing that is really quite amazing to me, really. The 2015 owners have the best cars out there for keepers, may be the last TDIs in the US, and everyone except one person is saying they're getting price paid back (one guy claiming that is "barely tolerable").

If it's horrible, keep the damn car. Take the fix money and sell the car. Give the car back for the money you paid. What is the issue here? Do you guys think us older model drivers are getting more than we paid?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
This is the thing that is really quite amazing to me, really. The 2015 owners have the best cars out there for keepers, may be the last TDIs in the US, and everyone except one person is saying they're getting price paid back (one guy claiming that is "barely tolerable").
If it's horrible, keep the damn car. Take the fix money and sell the car. Give the car back for the money you paid. What is the issue here? Do you guys think us older model drivers are getting more than we paid?
THIS! Yes, I can get all my money back, but why? I bought the car because I liked it and it met my needs, that hasn't changed.

Getting the fix (with the biggest impact likely being 2x def usage) gives me over $7,000, along with a 150,000 mile warrantly on all the parts that matter (including the HPFP).

Why is everyone with a '15 so eager to get rid of it? Do you hate it that much, or have you found something better? I understand if you are unhappy with VW's deceptive practices, but do you really want to go through the car buying process all over again?

I may be unique, but I really don't like buying cars... it takes a long time to find what I like at a price I can afford. I drive them 'till the wheels fall off (and sometimes longer :)), and I don't need a new one every three years.

I guess I should be glad that there are folks who will constantly replace their cars, it helps keep the economy going :).

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
My unofficial was lower than the amount on the website. The VW claims site posted I'd get about 400-500 more than what I was thinking.

I think this is because they have the date you bought the car, thing is my car was bought used. Are used buy dates the same as new buy dates. If so it seems unfair, but I'm not complaining. Does it go by when the car was first registered?