Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Now we are 100% sure these values for 2015's are locked in correct? I read somewhere it still says they are approximated. Is there any hope of getting more in terms of them fixing their calculations or possibly NADA producing an actual value for our car?

I'm getting so screwed by VW and its just making me angrier and angrier.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
<snip>

Yeah, in the cold light of day those who were expecting to get MSRP + compensation, plus a bucket of unicorn farts back must be feeling kinda silly.

It was simi-pure luck to get more than MSRP

The $380 over MSRP was a little gravy

But the purchase of $3,500 under MSRP (and the $900 vw cards) was the gravy.

Buying on the cheap (under MSRP) was my good fortune ~~ as the $3,500 is 73% of the gravy.

Did I forget to say driving up to 36-37 full months in a car that will not depreciate?

Last edited:

Exstereo

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI MT, 01 Passat Wagon 1.8t
So, before when we turn these things in we should all go down to the local highway department and get some yellow striping paint and paint our cars with a 2 inch nap roller!

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
You have to click "Elligibility" at the top, answer the 2 questions then it tells you you can enter in the portal which is a link underlined. I couldnt see it on mobile but saw it on my laptop
So I don't see "eligibility" near the top of anything. All I can find is a place where I enter my VIN, and then it tells me my car is eligible, offers me chance to give name and email to be notified of "stuff". That's as far as I can get...nothing about value.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Well, filled everything out and with a 13 SEL with expected mileage 75 to 80,000 and selecting dec 30 2018 for fix date my check is $7,016.
FWIW.
So, that combined with the previous credit/payment of $1000, I figure VW is paying $8k. I'm not sure about the extended warranty coverage, but guess that will be made more clear.

Last edited:

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
I'm getting crapped on too. I have a fully loaded 2015 tdi sel with approx 40k at turn in. I'm being offered a horrible 23k. They value my car at 19500 only two months after I bought the car?!?!
The worst part is paying more into the loan and still getting nothing extra back. This buyback formula didn't even come close to getting me where the charts released last month said I would be.
I just don't understand this.
Faulty...why don't you just walk away from the aggravation of getting screwed? Any reason you can't just drive your car and enjoy it as you originally planned? After eight years and 185K miles, it seems any difference in the value of the car with/without the scandal would be minimal...and might even be in your favor.

DB TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
So I don't see "eligibility" near the top of anything. All I can find is a place where I enter my VIN, and then it tells me my car is eligible, offers me chance to give name and email to be notified of "stuff". That's as far as I can get...nothing about value.
Try https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/register (as provided by Shawn above).
The same thing happened to me, when on the VW TDI Settlement page - that page must not be compatible with whatever browsers you and I were using.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Won't say I wouldn't have liked to have had more gravy.

Feel like the sharks did well for (me)

I do not know why so many are down in the dumps over this proposed settlement.

The two $500 cards, were a start.

Starting to see a pattern with high miles cars, financed cars, and purchases near or at MSRP. Not to mention trade in cars that were under water.

The part I like best is no conditions ~~ except to drive it there under its' own power.

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
Just finished registering my vehicle on the VWoA Claims Site. They presented me with my two (2) options with a decision date of 11/01/2016. What I just realized is that if you decide to keep your vehicle and lets say the fix doesn't come out for another year or so, your restitution amount is going to begin to diminish because of the additional miles you have placed of the vehicle unless you park it, which isn't an option for me.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just finished registering my vehicle on the VWoA Claims Site. They presented me with my two (2) options with a decision date of 11/01/2016. What I just realized is that if you decide to keep your vehicle and lets say the fix doesn't come out for another year or so, your restitution amount is going to begin to diminish because of the additional miles you have placed of the vehicle unless you park it, which isn't an option for me.
Yes, but the restitution decrease on additional miles is very minimal.

Lobo56

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI

Starting to see a pattern with high miles cars, financed cars, and purchases near or at MSRP. Not to mention trade in cars that were under water.

The part I like best is no conditions ~~ except to drive it there under its' own power.
The sales tax thing is what bothers me I paid $1900 in sale tax and will probably pay that out again.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

What about financed cars? The settlement has nothing to do with whether or not an individual has the title in hand or an existing lien. The only impact is how you'd handle the paperwork.

As far as cars purchased near MSRP and/or people that are upside down...treat this as a learning experience.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The sales tax thing is what bothers me I paid $1900 in sale tax and will probably pay that out again.
In Wa. the amount of a vehicle trade-in is tax exempt. So, right now, to my thinking, it makes the most sense to push the fix out to the end of the offer, take the payment and then go negotiate (if you want out of the car). The trade in value is tax exempt towards a new car, and there is a strong possibility that there will be a very healthy market for used TDI's in 2018, which may very well be to your benefit when negotiating. As someone so rightly pointed out, taking the full buy back and then going to buy a new car is forcing a (in Wa.) 10% hit on you.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm in WA too but look at things a bit different. I bought the car on March 22, 2013 and paid $24,518. The buyback price from VW is $25,367 So.. I got to drive a car for over three years and made money off it, I have no complaints and don't object if I have to pay sales tax on a replacement car.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ouch X 100 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

That is one of he main reasons I will keep it for "bout 2 more years.

Oklahoma pays ~~ 3.25 % plus the tag (maybe $100 tag)

But we do not get any trade in credit(s)

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I'm probably going to drive this car for a year or two before accepting a buy back, I have 93000 miles and will drive it under the 1040 miles a month so the buy back number stays the same or goes up.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What about financed cars? The settlement has nothing to do with whether or not an individual has the title in hand or an existing lien. The only impact is how you'd handle the paperwork.

As far as cars purchased near MSRP and/or people that are upside down...treat this as a learning experience.

bubba :)

as you are so correct.

trade in with up side down cars is a killer -- and that has nothing to do with Dieselgate.

Paying near MSRP is equally a killer.

Interest is also a killer. However I DID finance mine for 'bout 4 months, until I paid it off. :):):):)

But at least some will get debt forgiveness

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
For CARB states, especially California, your 3 options are:

1. Buyback
2. Get it fixed
3. See 1 & 2 above

CARB will mandate that you do either the first or second option, with a preference for the first. As for the second option, CARB can just refuse to approve ANY fix if they so desire. However, I doubt they would do that in regards to the Gen 3 cars; it is most likely for the Gen 1. The other CARB states may, or may not follow California's lead.
Please stop spreading rumors, and go read appendix D of the DOJ settlement agreement. CARB can't force either.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm probably going to drive this car for a year or two before accepting a buy back, I have 93000 miles and will drive it under the 1040 miles a month so the buy back number stays the same or goes up.
Good choice

Me too

Can't believe The plan is working so well (for me)

I mean really. Driving a non depreciating car for 3 full years and getting back more than I paid for it.

Bumper to Bumper Warranty and no condition worries. Yawzer

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Please stop spreading rumors, and go read appendix D of the DOJ settlement agreement. CARB can't force either.
Romad believes CARB is going to ignore the agreement they signed and deny registration anyway. The facts will not sway him.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I think it's more like that old question of whether God can make a rock so heavy that even God can't lift it. Some will argue that God can do anything, even making a rock so heavy it can't be lifted by God. Some will argue that God can not do something against God's nature. Whereas I've always pointed out that obviously God can make a rock so heavy that even God can't lift it, but then God would obviously go ahead and lift it anyway.

So while it's true that CARB can't do that according to the documents, just like CARB can't do a lot of things, CARB does in fact go ahead and do what CARB deems appropriate regardless.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Good choice

Me too

Can't believe The plan is working so well (for me)

I mean really. Driving a non depreciating car for 3 full years and getting back more than I paid for it.

Bumper to Bumper Warranty and no condition worries. Yawzer
I was hit with the trifecta of paying close to MSRP with a higher interest rate and CA's nearly 10% sales tax doesn't help any.

If I take the buyback I'm out $4500.

The other choice is take the fix but then I'll be making payments on a dog of a car (you're fooling yourself if you think the fix will not impact the car).

Some have said drive it for two years then take the buy back. Brilliant! The more you drive it the lower the buyback amount (I drive 60 miles a day not the "average" 35 set up by VW). plus I get to make two more years of payments on it too. Sweet where do I sign?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Finally found it, rules for objecting to the Settlement.

The Class Notice shall advise that Class Members may object to the Settlement by filling with the Court a written objection that explains why he or she believes the Court should not approve the Class Action Settlement as fair, reasonable, and adequate. (Legal marking). The written objection must include (1) a detailed statement of and specific reasons for the objection; (2) the Class Member's name, address, and telephone number, (3) the VIN of the Eligible Vehicle, (4) the dates of the Class Members ownership or Lease of the Eligible Vehicle, (5) a statement as to whether the Class Member is an Eligible Owner, Eligible Lessee, or an Eligible Seller, (6) a statement that the class member has reviewed the Class definition and has not opted out of the Class and (6) other supporting documents the class member wishes the court to consider...
Thanks!

**BINGO**

..and one can't hide the irony of a car mag throwing dirt on VW, while progressive Bloomberg calls the clean car defrauded the "only winners". Honestly, the two articles are a microcosm of how newer and older owners fared.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nners-in-volkswagen-s-diesel-mess-are-drivers

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I was hit with the trifecta of paying close to MSRP with a higher interest rate and CA's nearly 10% sales tax doesn't help any.

If I take the buyback I'm out $4500.

The other choice is take the fix but then I'll be making payments on a dog of a car (you're fooling yourself if you think the fix will not impact the car).

Some have said drive it for two years then take the buy back. Brilliant! The more you drive it the lower the buyback amount (I drive 60 miles a day not the "average" 35 set up by VW). plus I get to make two more years of payments on it too. Sweet where do I sign?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sounds like the best option is to take the fix (drive it until they fix it), take the restitution cash, then sell the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.