What car gives similar performance to the TDI?

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
My TDI is leased and I am thinking to return it when the time comes this winter.
I test drove the Mazda3 6 sp. manual that many rave about. It was a nice ride but doesn't feel like my TDI at all. Does not pull as well from low low rpm's. From a performance perspective what new car is available to get reasonable mileage with spirited performance. Some like the VW Golf but I am not sure I want another VW. This whole diesel gate situation has left me soured on VW

petsur

TDI
2009 Jetta
I also drove a Mazda 6 yesterday. Very disappointed, no power at all. Same 2.5 engine in a Mazda 3 was better.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
The base engine in the Mazda 3 is a 2.0, the 2.5 is available with an automatic trans only and I believe in the grand touring which runs up the price.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I doubt you will find something that will do what the TDI did, in hatch or wagon form it will be very hard, some will say a GTI will give you the low end grunt and is a much better sports car and give you the hatch space but less MPG by far and smaller than a wagon, Volvo makes some quick turbo cars but they are pricey and way worse on the MPG than the TDI, you may be able to find a left over cruz with a diesel or step up in cash for a BMW 330d or MB E class seen in diesel form.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If you aren't COMPLETELY turned off VW (you said you aren't sure you're out)...check out the Jetta GLI. They're peppy, they're good looking cars, and your fuel economy won't be bad.

Other than that...my vote would be to look at a CPO BMW 3 series (if you're wanting to stay in this size range). I think the only way you're going to get the driving dynamics you want, a refined interior, and decent fuel economy is going to be with a German car.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Naturally aspirated gasoline engines make power at high rpms. For the case of Mazda 6, Skyactiv-G 2.0 is rated 155 HP @ 6000 rpm and 2.5 is rated 184 HP @ 5700 rpm.

Many motorcycles run at even higher rpms, particularly high performance sportbikes such as 600cc supersports such as Suzuki GSXR600, which according to the EPA emission test results spreadsheet it outputs 89 kW (119 hp) @ 12,400 rpm.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Yup. Keep in mind...you're comparing other cars to a car (your TDI) that never should have been offered for sale here in its current configuration. You're going to have to give something up (ex. Fuel economy or low end grunt), as you're essentially comparing these other cars to the automotive equivalent of a unicorn.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Don't forget the Jetta with the 1.4 TSI! 150 HP @ 5000 rpm, same peak power as a Gen 3 dieselgate Jetta, but at a higher rpm. Rated fuel economy is very close to the Gen 1 dieselgate Jettas.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A modern turbocharged gasoline engine will give you similar responsiveness to a TDI. Perhaps the new Honda Civic? Chevrolet Cruze 1.5L? I can't think of a lot of alternatives that aren't VW Group products or significantly more expensive than a VW (like a 3-series BMW).

JDSnead

TDI
2000 New Beetle 5-speed, 2001 New Beetle automatic, 2011 JSW DSG, 2013 Beetle TDI DSG, 2014 Beetle TDI DSG, 2015 Passat TDI 6-speed manual
As an alternative to my 2015 Passat, I'm looking at the E250 Mercedes Blutec.

Similar performance, size. But more expensive, even as a CPO.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
Mercedes and volvo are beyond my reach $$. I like to stay below 30k if possible.
I might test drive a GLI and hope that VW treats their TDI customers right.
Doesn't seem to be much else out there. I like my TDI and would stay with it but with emission modifications looming and an expensive dpf thats not on a long term (10 years) warranty I am a bit apprehensive. I do 22,000 mi a year and 6 years or so puts me on my own for expensive emission system problems.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Don't forget the Jetta with the 1.4 TSI! 150 HP @ 5000 rpm, same peak power as a Gen 3 dieselgate Jetta, but at a higher rpm. Rated fuel economy is very close to the Gen 1 dieselgate Jettas.

If I would need a new car, it would be the above car. Drove it as a Rental for over 1,000 miles.... Loved it. But I love my 02 TDI a lot more....!:D

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
A modern turbocharged gasoline engine will give you similar responsiveness to a TDI. Perhaps the new Honda Civic? Chevrolet Cruze 1.5L? I can't think of a lot of alternatives that aren't VW Group products or significantly more expensive than a VW (like a 3-series BMW).
I was looking at it more from a total performance and driving experience point of view. If you just want something that accelerates 0-60 times at a similar speed to a TDI...that's not going to be difficult to find.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
My TDI is leased and I am thinking to return it when the time comes this winter.
I test drove the Mazda3 6 sp. manual that many rave about. It was a nice ride but doesn't feel like my TDI at all. Does not pull as well from low low rpm's. From a performance perspective what new car is available to get reasonable mileage with spirited performance. Some like the VW Golf but I am not sure I want another VW. This whole diesel gate situation has left me soured on VW
The Mazda's anemic feel is due to no low end torque. It reminds me of high-revving torque-less Honda gassers I owned years ago. Never again!

If you want a diesel, check out the BMW 328d wagon and sedan models.
The 328d wagon is Xdrive AWD only, no option for RWD.
The 328d sedan is available with RWD or Xdrive AWD.
Since you are leasing your TDI, be sure to check out lease deals on a 328d.

I have driven a 328d Xdrive sedan as a loaner car for the day while my 535d was being serviced. I found it to be surprisingly torquey and had a lot more low end grunt than I expected for a 2.0L engine. Performance IMHO beats a CR TDI and also can be had with AWD. Getting 46 MPG while driving it like I stole it on the highway came as a nice bonus. :cool:

Disclaimer: I am not connected with BMW in any way, shape or form, and I don't work in the auto industry at all. I'm simply a BMW diesel owner after being a TDI owner for 12 years. VW lost me to BMW Advanced Diesel about 3 years ago, having nothing to do with the dieselgate scandal.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Why not one of the turbocharged or 6-cylinder Subarus?
Fuel economy...I'm assuming. One of the most fun cars that I've ever driven was a Subaru WRX STI. That's one thirsty car though. The fuel economy is pretty much identical to the GMC Sierra 1500 4WD that I'm looking at, lol.

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
Fuel economy...I'm assuming. One of the most fun cars that I've ever driven was a Subaru WRX STI. That's one thirsty car though. The fuel economy is pretty much identical to the GMC Sierra 1500 4WD that I'm looking at, lol.
Yes, the fuel mileage is absolutely terrible compared to the TDI, which is one of the reasons I opted for the TDI. But when comparing to gas engines, things are slightly less bleak.

I guess it ultimately depends on your order of priorities. I still like the idea of a Golf or GSW. Haven't driven one yet.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Yup. Keep in mind...you're comparing other cars to a car (your TDI) that never should have been offered for sale here in its current configuration. You're going to have to give something up (ex. Fuel economy or low end grunt), as you're essentially comparing these other cars to the automotive equivalent of a unicorn.
Here is your answer.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Read reviews on CR for comfort and reliability.
Got two in the family already. A 2014 base hardtop with a tuning box will give you plenty of zip and you still have some warranty left. Probably snag a 2015 as well with low miles. My TDI stills has more low end grunt, but not sure what other direction I will go. Don't really want only MINI's.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was looking at it more from a total performance and driving experience point of view. If you just want something that accelerates 0-60 times at a similar speed to a TDI...that's not going to be difficult to find.
I was thinking about low end torque and responsiveness. That's all that came to mind.

In my opinion nothing drives like a VW, and nothing has ever been like a VW TDI. At the price point it's unique.

So the choice is obvious. Keep yours.

NewEnglander

TDI
2011 Audi A3
I went through the same process and settled on the Golf 1.8 TSI. My search was a bit narrower due to wanting a hatchback and ultimately pit the Mazda 3 2.5L vs the Golf TSI 1.8L. I definitely found the Golf to have a smoother power curve with more responsiveness in the low end, especially when using tiptronic shifting. It's not all that much different from my 2011 Audi A3 TDI.

The big hit will be to fuel economy, obviously. While it will probably be a respectable 32 combined for me, that's a 20% hit from my average 40 right now, and a slightly smaller tank on top. I'm going to miss 500 miles between fill-ups. On the plus side, I won't miss idling for 10 minutes looking at an array of empty gas pumps while the only two diesel pumps have cars parked at them while people dilly dally inside! :)

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
As an alternative to my 2015 Passat, I'm looking at the E250 Mercedes Blutec.

Similar performance, size. But more expensive, even as a CPO.
I have been looking at the E-250 long and hard - fo quite some time.

pros:
- A 2014 can be had as a CPO for about 30-32k if you look hard, original MSRP 52-60k.
- CPO will be unlimited miles warranty for a total of 5 yrs from in-service. Good for me, cause I drive 30k miles a yr.
- Bigger better car ...duh
- 42 mpg plus (if not a 4-MATIC)

cons
- for someone driving 30k miels a yr - that'll mean 3 thrips to the dealer.
expect one service A ($250) one B ($350-400) and one major service almost every year ($1000). This will be true of almost all MBs. I have owned 5 and still own 1 AMG (even more expensive).
- Carefree factor. With Passat I have been pretty carefree as regards parking wherever. It'll be hard ofr me to do that with a much more expensive (when new) car.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I was thinking about low end torque and responsiveness. That's all that came to mind.

In my opinion nothing drives like a VW, and nothing has ever been like a VW TDI. At the price point it's unique.

So the choice is obvious. Keep yours.
I agree. I don't think mine is a bad car at all. I started a crappy commute late last summer, which got me wanting another vehicle (I want an automatic transmission). If I didn't have to spend two hours a day in stop and go traffic and if they offered a bumper to bumper extended warranty...I'd think about keeping it.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I am waiting and thinking ...

I am waiting, and thinking. I just purchased a 2013 Passat TDI SE last Saturday, 7/23/2016. The plan was to drive it a few months, and then sell it back to VW for a +/- $4k profit.

But I rather like this car. It is a near perfect car for my commute in heavy traffic. I'm thinking I may hold on to it as long as I can (December 2018 ?). And if I could drive it for better than 2 years, sell it back for a $4k profit, and then buy a repaired or "fixed" model for several thousand less ...

What's not to like about that?

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
We bought a 2015 Golf a few months back and I think it handles and performs better than my JSW TDI. Getting mid-to-high 30's for mileage too. The only annoying thing is the tank is only 10 gallons, but this is no doubt key in getting that nice MPG number.

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG