Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I was under the impression that my state of Massachusetts was one of the participating states--which would mean that registration couldn't be barred for TDI owners-- but now MA along with NY and MD have their own separate action.

These are probably no-work "me too" lawsuits filed by AGs who are politicians after all.

I have no idea what that means for owners in these states.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Which is why I said at "least some". However, CARB is crooked enough to take the money, then find some way to either get the prohibition invalidated for California (emissions-wise the state is independent of Federal rules) or failing that weasel around the prohibition!
Note that the prohibition was that they couldn't bar it for simply having the cheat code installed. They can still bar it for any other whim they dream up, but it would have to be against all cars, not just VW. Given the cruze diesel sold so well, they may just write the rule to hit them too, what's a few hundred more impacted, when they get the 75k they were targeting. Written to hit just the passenger diesel market, I can see this pretty easily happening.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
There will be NO Blocked Registrations on any states that partake in the settlement.

No worries, (Unless you live in New York, Massachusetts or Maryland)

It specifically states in the court documents that any state that participates in the settlement can NOT block owners registrations if the opt out.

PERIOD!

YAY!

California WAS the most likely state to block Registrations, but now they can't do it because not only are they "participating" in the settlement, they're the BIGGEST state getting the MOST Compensation out of the settlement of ANY State!

I can keep my TDI forever and they can't block registration!
HA ha HA!
Come on, you know CARB is corrupt enough to figure out a way around it! :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dslman says you are wrong

going off how emotional you are and that he seems to be using facts I will go ahead and say you continue to be wrong
And you, fanboi, not living in a CARB state (let alone California) are clueless as to how and what CARB does here to get their way. Dslman and I may not agree 100% as to what CARB is up to, but at least we both live here in California and have first hand knowledge regarding CARB.

As for "emotional", I have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's for sure!

There will be another class action lawsuit, this time against CARB if they try and punish TDI owners in any way for all this BS which has absolutely nothing to do with the Owners of TDI Vehicles.

SCREW YOU CARB! Just try it!
Isn't it interesting that there are those who have had absolutely no experience with CARB who like to tell those of us who live in California and have several years/decades living with CARB how we are wrong? You and I may not agree 100% on everything but at least we both have more CARB-related experience than someone in the Southeast! :D BTW, has there been any media coverage down there on the on-going lawsuit against CARB up here in Alta California?

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You and I may not agree 100% on everything but at least we both have more CARB-related experience than someone in the Southeast! :D
You know, the population of the United States is pretty mobile. Where a person currently lives isn't a valid indication of where they have lived.

illuminator82

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
CARB is already blocking registration in CA. I know, mine is due and they are requiring 2406 to be done and I won't do it. Not allowing them to make me do all the changes to the car, and get lower mpg, power, torque, more regen's, faster clogged, and crappy reliability. They are essentially choking the air pump know as diesel. Will be selling my car back 100%, and I truly enjoy mine! Nothing like it, and can just imagine how great this car would be with a tune.

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw
At the time I was shopping for a 2012 TDI premium they were selling like hot cakes. Went to 4 dealers and none would come off MSRP and they all flat out said we cant keep them on the lot.

I bought mine in sept of 2011 (2012 model) I had to drive 1.5 hours to get the deal I wanted. I was starting a new job that has a 60 mile commute each way and my Tacoma averages about 16-17mpg! All the dealerships in a 50 mile search area were getting sticker +1,000!! Was well worth the drive for me. Just closed a deal on a new Volvo V60 and to get the price I wanted I have to drive 70 miles. But the wife and I will just take the train down and have the dealer pick us up and sign the paper work. I'm shocked at what dealers in my area are getting! I offered $500 over the price I got in San Diego and my local dealer said they couldn't do it. People are willing to pay and they know it.
Now if VW will just hurry up and cut me a check!!!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CARB is already blocking registration in CA. I know, mine is due and they are requiring 2406 to be done and I won't do it. Not allowing them to make me do all the changes to the car, and get lower mpg, power, torque, more regen's, faster clogged, and crappy reliability. They are essentially choking the air pump know as diesel. Will be selling my car back 100%, and I truly enjoy mine! Nothing like it, and can just imagine how great this car would be with a tune.
Don't you mean 2306, the fake fix for the defeat switch? From what I read on TDIClub, it doesn't do squat unless you have a tune. I don't think you'd be able to convince them that that fix was part of VW's attempt to hide their defeat device and thus should be held in abeyance under the "agreement".

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
(confirms that TDi owners who thought they were buying "clean" diesels are victims of consumer fraud)
No, not exactly, it confirms that someone else has the opinion that it was consumer fraud. A Judge will eventually determine whether or not it qualifies as "consumer fraud". I am no expert, so I have no opinion. It is obvious that the NY Attorney General believes it to be true but that (by itself) does not make it true. As with everything else with dieselgate, time will tell. Unfortunately, patience is in very short supply around here, so this site is very good at jumping to conclusions and stating opinions as facts. With any luck, we will know more in about a week.

Have Fun!

Don

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Excellent details on the recent lawsuits filed by NY, etc:
(confirms that TDi owners who thought they were buying "clean" diesels are victims of consumer fraud)
http://blog.caranddriver.com/legal-complaint-sheds-new-light-on-vw-diesel-drama/
I dont disagree with ya....

But I do have a hard time understanding how the average person can be so mad and demand a gazillion trillion of billions dollars for something they didnt care in the first place. Im not saying everyone but most likely 90% of the population that buy cars look at the mpg's, maintenance, gadgets in and outside of the car and paint options...maybe wheel options...sunroof and seating options. Who really goes to dealerships with a chart and compares two cars side by side by analyzing emission numbers and making a purchase decision based on those charts? Hahah..you know what Im saying?
The word Clean Diesel means as much to me as Sky Technology or as much as Powerstroke or as much as Turbo....and so on. In reallity it means sweet fawk all to anyone in terms of emissions, more like fuel consumption and power. Not arguing with ya...just felt like saying this, because it bugs me when articles like this say "TDI owners" when most of them didnt give a rats ass when buying the car. A diesel was a diesel...clean or not...it meant one thing...great mpg's, torque, that engine noise and so that we can laugh at the gasser Jettas & Golfs when we pass them by on a hill.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
As reported on Jalopnik:

South Korea has been one of the toughest countries on Volkswagen amid the global diesel emissions catastrophe. Last month the nation even issued an arrest warrant for a VW executive there.

Now, the automaker will cease sales of most cars in its second-biggest diesel car market in Asia, ahead of a probe in August that could revoke the certifications for those cars.

Via Reuters:

South Korean prosecutors had notified the ministry of the list of models, accusing Volkswagen’s South Korean unit of fabricating documents on emissions and noise-level tests, the ministry said. Prosecutors last month arrested a local Volkswagen executive, as part of a widening probe.

“We have decided to suspend sales of the affected models to reduce confusion among dealers and customers,” a spokesman for Volkswagen’s South Korean unit said, adding that it would take three months to achieve certification again for the models.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
As reported on Jalopnik:

South Korea has been one of the toughest countries on Volkswagen

So Hyundai/Daewoo have a strong roots in the South Korean government and can/will attack foreign competitors hard when possible? Not exactly surprising, don't you think?

Look at how hard the US went after Toyota for a non-issue, while they slow walk the much much worse case of ignition switches with GM.

Likewise, VW is getting a clean chit in Europe for the same violations that they are getting hauled over the coals in the US for.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
There will be NO Blocked Registrations on any states that partake in the settlement.

No worries, (Unless you live in New York, Massachusetts or Maryland)

It specifically states in the court documents that any state that participates in the settlement can NOT block owners registrations if the opt out.

PERIOD!

YAY!

California WAS the most likely state to block Registrations, but now they can't do it because not only are they "participating" in the settlement, they're the BIGGEST state getting the MOST Compensation out of the settlement of ANY State!

I can keep my TDI forever and they can't block registration!
HA ha HA!
That's not exactly correct. Those accepting the money may not block registration based solely on the presence of the cheat code in the ECU, getting or not getting the fix, or there being no fix. They may block it for any other reason that they see fit to create, but it has to apply across all cars that are similar. So, knocking out a few hundred Cruzes to get rid of the 75k TDIs, they may well take the heat on the few Cruzes. The agreement has enough holes in it that other than claiming it was blocked for having the cheat code in the ECU, they are free to do as they please. There is a clear exception for OBD to be the angle to go after the TDI, but how that would be worded is unknown.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's not exactly correct. Those accepting the money may not block registration based solely on the presence of the cheat code in the ECU, getting or not getting the fix, or there being no fix. They may block it for any other reason that they see fit to create, but it has to apply across all cars that are similar. So, knocking out a few hundred Cruzes to get rid of the 75k TDIs, they may well take the heat on the few Cruzes. The agreement has enough holes in it that other than claiming it was blocked for having the cheat code in the ECU, they are free to do as they please. There is a clear exception for OBD to be the angle to go after the TDI, but how that would be worded is unknown.
Yep, if there is a legal way, CARB will use it. On the other hand, if there is only an illegal way then CARB will use it. :D

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, if there is a legal way, CARB will use it. On the other hand, if there is only an illegal way then CARB will use it. :D
So it pretty much leaves owners with nothing other than a regulatory taking claim on CARB. Given the judges and CARB work for the same machine, doubtful that would get far, at least not quickly enough that getting cars registered again in under what 4-6 years would happen?

Lobo56

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I bought mine in sept of 2011 (2012 model) I had to drive 1.5 hours to get the deal I wanted. I was starting a new job that has a 60 mile commute each way and my Tacoma averages about 16-17mpg! All the dealerships in a 50 mile search area were getting sticker +1,000!! Was well worth the drive for me. Just closed a deal on a new Volvo V60 and to get the price I wanted I have to drive 70 miles. But the wife and I will just take the train down and have the dealer pick us up and sign the paper work. I'm shocked at what dealers in my area are getting! I offered $500 over the price I got in San Diego and my local dealer said they couldn't do it. People are willing to pay and they know it.
Now if VW will just hurry up and cut me a check!!!
I already moved on parked the Jetta and bought a 328d.

thanksimgruven

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Do not get the 2406. I did and my car is now a total dog. With the AC on, almost to the point of revving it up @ intersections with the accelerator and brake on to get going. Can't make moves in traffic - kind of like when you load-up a gas engine with the accelerator, plugs foul for a second and then catch. And then, you're only dealing with 140 hp or so... wish i never did the 2406.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Do not get the 2406. I did and my car is now a total dog. With the AC on, almost to the point of revving it up @ intersections with the accelerator and brake on to get going. Can't make moves in traffic - kind of like when you load-up a gas engine with the accelerator, plugs foul for a second and then catch. And then, you're only dealing with 140 hp or so... wish i never did the 2406.
Everyone: It's not 2406, there's no such thing.
Everyone Remember this: It's 2306 Emissions update, and YES it does SUCK. 2306 lowers MPG and power approx 5%.

We drove a route about 50 miles up to Escondido & Average MPG was just hitting 47.3 MPG getting of on Auto Parkway Exit.

SAME EXACT Route, 3 different cars, 2012 GOLF TDI 8000 miles, 2014 JSW TDI 31,000 miles, and another 2014 JSW with 130,000 miles.

All 3 cars nearly identical gettin up to 46.1MPG to 47.3MPG over the exact same route.

2306 update applied to the 2014 JSW with 31,000 miles.

SAME EXACT ROUTE, now can't get over 41MPG no matter what! Was able to get it to 42.1 going down hill.

SUCKS!

Power is noticeably down, It's NOTICEABLY weaker, but not so much that we could tell right away, it was most noticeable when switching from one car to the other, then I could REALLY Tell.

No big deal though, to me it's like having bloatware installed on my computer by some BS.

All you have to do is just restore it back from before the bloatware was installed.

Same with TDI, just restore it back to the state it was before the update.

Better yet, Malone stage 2 tune = Massive Torque gains & 53MPG, along with that comes a big smile you can't seem to wipe off your face! :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
/\ That explains why I could never get past 42 mpg with the 23O6 update.

I got a KermaTDI tune last weekend and filled back up after I got home. Not 44mpg without trying. Basically set the cruise for 70-75mph. I'm really curious what I'll get with my standard 20 mile commute to and from work with a great mix of highway speeds, gridlock, and back roads.

Lobo56

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Nice! My wife has the 328D wagon! Such a fun car to drive, I only wish I got to drive it more. I love averaging over 40mpg and having awd.
Yea nice car I'm getting low 40s around town and high 40s to low 50s hwy the 328xd will run circles around my Jetta TDI its a lot quicker and drives a lot nicer. But you're paying more for that, the Jetta is nice but I'm just done with VW been buying VW for 38 years and spent a lot of money with them and I feel like they just don't care for there customers after this.

Last edited:

illuminator82

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
meant 2306

darned 10 thumbs.
2306 update will also ruin your engine way faster- more regens, clogged filter and cost associated with that, and basically the engine being choked to death after VW gets through putting on more crap. Am not going to lose 5mpg's, hp and torque. Might as well get a a 2.5l gasser or v6, or tesla 3 and be done with it.
Still going to turn mine in no matter what, done with CARB and this whole mess.
The car is super the way it is, but I will not longer be able to keep it this way due to CARB in CA.

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
This AP article was in my paper this morning:

http://www.chicoer.com/business/20160722/apnewsbreak-volkswagen-has-emissions-cheating-fix-ready

The first paragraph (really just a run-on sentence) has a concise description of the proposed fix.
Not just run on, poor spelling, too.

"... "no discernable (sic, should be "discernible") difference" in the cars' mileage, horsepower or torque."

So APNews doesn't correctly spell "discernible", the most important word in the article... because discernible is subjective to the driver's needs, habits, and expectations. Just to clear, the information leaked is not that there won't be reductions in mileage, horsepower, or torque; just that they don't think it will be discernible based on the driving test style they used to detect it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not just run on, poor spelling, too.

"... "no discernable (sic, should be "discernible") difference" in the cars' mileage, horsepower or torque."

So APNews doesn't correctly spell "discernible", the most important word in the article... because discernible is subjective to the driver's needs, habits, and expectations. Just to clear, the information leaked is not that there won't be reductions in mileage, horsepower, or torque; just that they don't think it will be discernible based on the driving test style they used to detect it.
Maybe "discernable" is in the AP style book! :D

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
So if we take the fix, we get an extended warranty, 4 yrs, 48,000, which is 1,000 miles per month, but if we take the buyback we get 1,042 miles per month, extra 500/year and 4 yrs be another 2,000, so why not make the warranty for 50,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.