Who's keeping, who's selling?

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
Keeping mine. Plan to upgrade to a CR190 turbo and less complicated plumbing.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
On the fence

Originaly was looking for a tdi to purchase to flip and sell back, but got extremely lucky last week and found a 2015 SE DSG with lighting package and 30k miles. My out the door will be about 18100 with tax,title and plate.
Buy back is in the 26 to 27 range but mod money will put me at around 11k for this car. Don't see how I can let it go, so I think I will keep this one and let VW buy back my 13 TDI.
The other option is drive it for a year and take the 26 to 27, but I don't like the risk or stress of a bad wreck.
Here is a pic of the blue silk with beige interior:
[/url][/IMG]

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
good feed back on this thread. im leaning toward taking the buy back because as of right now i believe i will make 2k back on my 15 sportwagen s. so my idea now is to go buy a honda fit because i now have a 80mi round trip to work in the dc area. i want safe practical and efficient. then take the remaining 10ish k i would have from buyback and compensation and buy something fun. im open to ideas

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bikebits

TDI
TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Originaly was looking for a tdi to purchase to flip and sell back, but got extremely lucky last week and found a 2015 SE DSG with lighting package and 30k miles. My out the door will be about 18100 with tax,title and plate.
Buy back is in the 26 to 27 range but mod money will put me at around 11k for this car.
Don't get your hopes up for 26+k, read the fine print and you'll see the buyout is pro-rated to the length of ownership. The previous owner will be entitled to the lion's share of the settlement.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Our plans, as of today, are to turn the Golf in and pay off my daughter's school loans. Wife then drives the JSW for the next 18 months and I drive my 07 canyon. In 18 months, we will look at values on the JSW again and see if it makes sense to fix or buyback.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
good feed back on this thread. im leaning toward taking the buy back because as of right now i believe i will make 2k back on my 15 sportwagen s. so my idea now is to go buy a honda fit because i now have a 80mi round trip to work in the dc area. i want safe practical and efficient. then take the remaining 10ish k i would have from buyback and compensation and buy something fun. im open to ideas

BEFORE you purchase a Honda FIT, I suggest that you test drive one on a bumpy road. IMO, it's not a very comfortable car when driven on bad roads.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Fit is an AWFUL car to drive. Shamefully so, as Hondas are usually pretty decent. The Chevrolet Aveo drives nicer and has more room inside. It is also somehow quieter, which sure seems strange. I only compare those two because I drove both back to back one day. The Fit's engine sounds like an angry chainsaw when pushed, and you HAVE to push it pretty much all the time.

Pretty sad when a 10 year old 100k mile Korean Chevy is nicer to drive than a 2 year old Honda.

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
wow good feed back definitely will test drive. at least i got time to research.

S60totdi

TDI
2014 Jetta Value Edition
I am going to write in here because I hope to get a 2016 or 17 Golf Sportwagen. We don't know if they are going to release a TDI in 2017 yet do we? I own a 2014 Jetta TDI value edition. I financed 20K going to get back 22k after paying off my loan I should have 7k for a down payment. I love the engine and drive train on my value edition but the rest of the car is very plain so if I can use this to get me into my dream car I will. I also really don't want to leave the TDI family so if they don't have one in 2017 I am not sure what I will do. I love my 48 MPG average

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
The Fit is an AWFUL car to drive. Shamefully so, as Hondas are usually pretty decent. The Chevrolet Aveo drives nicer and has more room inside. It is also somehow quieter, which sure seems strange. I only compare those two because I drove both back to back one day. The Fit's engine sounds like an angry chainsaw when pushed, and you HAVE to push it pretty much all the time.

Pretty sad when a 10 year old 100k mile Korean Chevy is nicer to drive than a 2 year old Honda.
Can confirm. Drove my friends Fit through Chicago. Felt like a little put put car going in and out of traffic. Doesn't come close to a Golf. I haven't driven a Fiesta ST, but I hear they're fun little cars. More expensive than the Fit by a lot though.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Don't get your hopes up for 26+k, read the fine print and you'll see the buyout is pro-rated to the length of ownership. The previous owner will be entitled to the lion's share of the settlement.
I purchased my Golf in January, if I choose to not fix OR sell back does the previous owner get anything? That would suck for them, but that may be where I'm at with the situation.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Where is that fine print? Would love to see it.

Post June 28 is 50% of Mod money or clean trade X 10% plus minimum of 2550. If your fine print says differently that means I pay for the car. Hand it in and the owner gets what I paid him and THE LIONS SHARE also. Math and law not adding up.

The car will net based on current settlement around 26 with the 50% reduction in the mod allocation to previous.

Edit. Most likely the car was sold post June 28 and if that is the case they get 0

Last edited:

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
I have a 2015 Golf Comfortline (SE) with 30K KM and my wife has a 2011 Golf Sportwagon with 160K KM on it.

Very happy with both cars but we have kid number 3 on the way now and may take advantage of the buyback to upgrade at least one of the 2 to a 7 passenger.
Both cars were purchased July of last year so it will be interesting to see what the canadian options are and if it will work out.

I love my car and I am leaning to keeping it but for the right deal I would look at the buy back. It will depend on what is available and what incentives are offered on new VW's

The sportwagon is leaning towards a buy back, we really need something with 7 seats since it is too tight getting 3 car seats in right now and that is the car we use for the majority of or family travelling.
I was really hoping for a LWB tiguan 7 passenger TDI but who knows if we will ever see it now but still may look at the gas options when they come out.
Would love to stick with a VW but she really wants a mini-van.

I am not going to rush into a decision either way. We love both cars but we could also use the extra space.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I purchased my Golf in January, if I choose to not fix OR sell back does the previous owner get anything? That would suck for them, but that may be where I'm at with the situation.
Seller gets 50% of the "modification" payment, no matter what the new owner does (if the seller files a claim).

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I'm planning to keep both my GSW and my Passat, and will likely go for the fix for both and take the ~$15k against future maintenance. If the fix doesn't happen I'll wait until the end to decide if I take the buy-back or keep driving it as is.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Selling. Buying a Golf R.
You'll love the 'R' as we have both a 2015 'R' DSG and a 2015 TDI S 6-speed, with Bilstein HD B6 shocks on it as the factory TDI shocks are junk.

Whats with your 36MPG on your TDI? Our TDI mileage has averaged 48.5 MPG over the past 9k miles, calculated by dividing mileage driven by fuel pumped to fill up. 36MPG is whacko for a TDI.
-Rod

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
How much more in maintenance do you forecast the R to be?
I expect it to be about the same. Same 10kish schedule as the TDI for oil and filters.

On the downside, there is a haldex fluid change every 30k change, but no worries about DPF or the timing belt (it's a chain).

I work from home these days so I only do about 12-15k a year.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Whats with your 36MPG on your TDI? Our TDI mileage has averaged 48.5 MPG over the past 9k miles, calculated by dividing mileage driven by fuel pumped to fill up. 36MPG is whacko for a TDI.
-Rod
I get that kind of mileage when I take long highway trips (over 50, sometime). But these days I work from how, so lots of short short city trips and not much highway these days. Also live in a hot climate where the AC gets run about 9-10 months out of the year,

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I will have to wait and see if I have a choice sense mine is a 1st generation. I defiantly would like a 2017 GSW TDI, or even a Golf GTI but don't know if I would like having to use premium gas all the time. Would not mind keeping my JSW with no fix and putting tune on it.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
I will have to wait and see if I have a choice sense mine is a 1st generation. I defiantly would like a 2017 GSW TDI, or even a Golf GTI but don't know if I would like having to use premium gas all the time. Would not mind keeping my JSW with no fix and putting tune on it.
There are no 2017 TDIS. Don't expect any 2018s or 2019s, or...

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
-Rod
Mileage depends greatly on speed, traffic patterns, driving style, etc. I average 39 over the past year according to fuelly. I also drive very fast on the freeway. I stick to posted limits off freeway, but having fun takes a hit on the mpgs. This vehicle gets double the economy of my previous vehicle, so I'm thrilled with my average.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
There are no 2017 TDIS. Don't expect any 2018s or 2019s, or...
They aren't going to let Chevy take the title from them. As soon as they are cleared to sell them they will. They need to verify that the increased urea rate satisfies the regulators. Incorporating the downstream NOx sensor is a non-issue.

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
I'm leaning towards fix at the moment. I spent some time pricing some alternatives w.r.t fuel costs. I'd love a GTI, but the the change in fuel consumption would mean an extra $100+ /month. Even with a Corolla/Mazda 3, I'd still be looking about $50+ per month. That's not counting the difference in price between D2 and RUG.

We'll also see how things play out in Canada, that'll probably affect my decision. The diesel torque is quite addicting...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Sorry, but I think you are dreaming. Who would buy them? Largest buyback in automotive history.
You would be surprised as to how many people, including diesel owners, only vaguely know about this action.

Two guys I know with 2013 TDI Passats did not know, and missed the $1000 Goodwill money. They told me recently that they had no intention of selling their cars back and will just keep driving them. They are not "car people" like folks here. One uses his car for business, the other is retired and his wife drives the Passat. They are not unique, we are.