What would you replace your TDI with????

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
For me, it's the lack of a manual transmission in the Golf if you get more options in the car. I'd be totally fine with a Golf MKVII, if I could get it loaded with a manual transmission.
Ah that's true for those of you in the US. In Canada, manual is offered across all trim lines on the Golf TSI.

I feel for you guys. I think we're headed down the same path though. The Passat had manual across all trims except the 6-cyl, but now that's also limited to the base model. However, I think the Passat is aimed mostly at the Camry and Accord demographic (which does offer manual across several, though not all, trims).

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
It looks like even in Canada, two-door is only available as the base model Trendline, and even on the Highline, the manual transmission is still a 5-speed. Two years ago I thought the Impreza/WRX were odd because you had to go all the way up to the WRX STI to get 6MT; Volkswagen sticking with 5-speed for a car this expensive is... odd to say the least. Better than in the US, but still a rigidly segmented lineup compared to the GTI that offers two-door and 6MT across the board.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I haven't driven an 1.8T, but I actually think the 5-speed would be fine. PlaneCrazy said before the the shift points took some getting used to for him. I just took delivery of a 2016 GTI this weekend, and 6 actually seems to be more than necessary. After having a JSW spinning 2000rpm at 70mph, I felt like I was itching for a taller 6th gear in the GTI, which spins 2200rpm at 70mph. It'd built for sport, and has plenty of passing power in 6th, though. The GTI has a small shift indicator in the upper corner of the cluster display. It'll often be telling me to shift 2>5 or 3>6 or whatever. It's not obtrusive. It seems to be giving you hyper-miling shift points, putting it at 1400rpm or so for cruising in town at, say, 45mph.

The Golf gets wide swaths of fake brushed aluminum trim in S and SE configurations, but you get piano black in SEL configuration. (with automatic of course, and some other things like power sport comfort seats, which rock.)

The Mk4 GTI 1.8Ts had 180hp. The new base 1.8Ts have 170hp, and more torque, if I recall correctly, so it should feel at least as fast as the former GTIs. I'd have gone with a 1.8T Golf, but for the fact that you could only get a manual in the base, no-frills configuration. I wanted a few of the goodies, so that took me to a GTI. I've been very happy with it so far. The 1.8T would probably give me a few extra mpg's, but I've been getting 33-34mpg indicated on the display in extended highway driving, and I'm content with that. Running on regular unleaded, too. "Premium required to achieve peak horesepower" - per VW.

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
The 2014 JSW also has a shift indicator that proposes absurdly early shift points, but it's easy to ignore. My memory of 5-speeds is admittedly colored by my Mk4 1.8T experience that had me almost at 4000RPM in 5th at highway cruising speeds, which was not terrible but I always wanted a 6th gear to take it down on the open road, and eventually I got one through the JSW. Every combination of engine and transmission is different, but I'm reluctant to go back to a 5-speed. Of course, this is a purely theoretical conversation due to the way the options are arranged.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's some debate about whether or not it's a good idea to run the 2.0 GTI on RUG. It apparently says 91 in the manual, 87 on the fuel door. But folks believe consistently running it on 87 isn't healthy for it.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
There's some debate about whether or not it's a good idea to run the 2.0 GTI on RUG. It apparently says 91 in the manual, 87 on the fuel door. But folks believe consistently running it on 87 isn't healthy for it.
While I'll side with the folks that say 91 should be a minimum, running 87 shouldn't hurt it since it should retard timing to prevent knocking. That said, some engines can be very temperamental when running lower grade gas. Temperamental to the point of destruction :eek:

in the end if you're not beating on it and shift well before redline then RUG shouldn't hurt. If you require pulls to redline to merge on short onramps then get the good stuff.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
It looks like even in Canada, two-door is only available as the base model Trendline, and even on the Highline, the manual transmission is still a 5-speed. Two years ago I thought the Impreza/WRX were odd because you had to go all the way up to the WRX STI to get 6MT; Volkswagen sticking with 5-speed for a car this expensive is... odd to say the least. Better than in the US, but still a rigidly segmented lineup compared to the GTI that offers two-door and 6MT across the board.
A 6MT is not necessarily an upgrade from a 5MT, it just means more gears to shift through. The 5MT probably has a higher OD ratio.

Donald

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
A 6MT is not necessarily an upgrade from a 5MT, it just means more gears to shift through. The 5MT probably has a higher OD ratio.

Donald
Other than the bigger gap between shift points, the 5-speed, coupled to the torque of the 1.8 TSI which peaks at a low 1600 rpm is certainly adequate for the type of driving I do. As posted earlier, about 1900 rpm at 100 km/h and 2100 at 110 km/h is low enough to make the car very silent, and still in the torque peak which goes from 1600 to 4200 rpm, so it just scoots up hills.

Sportier driving might make closer ratios nice, but other than that a 6th cog would be little more than bragging rights for me.

The TSI also has the shift point indicator proposing ludicrous shift points (as did my Mk VI TDI) that border on lugging the engine. I had to turn off the "eco-tips" feature as I got tired of big MFD messages telling me to check the shift indicator, or telling me that I was increasing drag by driving with a window open. At least the shift-point indicator is very small and unobtrusive (smaller than on the Mk VI).

All in all I'm very pleased with my ride. I also happen to prefer the fake brushed aluminium dash trim to the piano black. I was getting weary of feeling like I am in a coal mine :p

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
Yeah, I don't want to say 5MT instead of 6 is an absolute dealbreaker, but generally speaking I'm attracted to the potential for a wider overall spread of ratios without the gears being spaced out too much. I could at least consider it, if not for the fact that Volkswagen is deliberately relegating manuals and two-doors to the bottom of the Golf TSI lineup. I don't like the stock 15" wheels, either, and there don't seem to be as many wheel options for Mk7 as there were for Mk6 (I got option wheels on my JSW). To put it more briefly, it's not a bad option, but it doesn't exactly stir the passions.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah, I don't want to say 5MT instead of 6 is an absolute dealbreaker, but generally speaking I'm attracted to the potential for a wider overall spread of ratios without the gears being spaced out too much. I could at least consider it, if not for the fact that Volkswagen is deliberately relegating manuals and two-doors to the bottom of the Golf TSI lineup. I don't like the stock 15" wheels, either, and there don't seem to be as many wheel options for Mk7 as there were for Mk6 (I got option wheels on my JSW). To put it more briefly, it's not a bad option, but it doesn't exactly stir the passions.
The stock 15" wheels are a big plus for me. Our roads are very rough and lots of potholes. Having a decent amount of sidewall on the tire protects the rims. Once on our old B5 Passat, with 16", I hit a pothole at 100 km/h on the autoroute (didn't spot it in time). Put a big balloon in the tire's sidewall, but the rim stayed OK. I had to put on the spare; 16" is about as far as I'd go, the 15" is a bit of extra pothole insurance. Another time I hit another pothole (at night, unseen) so hard in winter that I dented the winter steelie, but the tire stayed OK.

The 15" give a decent ride over the roughness as well as reducing the chances of denting a rim.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
There's a good thread over at golf mk7 forums about thus subject:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13420
Thanks, I just read the first couple pages of that thread, and checked out the Edmunds link where they dyno'd on both 87 and 91 octane.

What I find interesting is that the whole curve was shifted slightly down (although pretty minimal). I would have expected 87 to be the same down low, and reduced up top where pre-detonation is an issue. But maybe when the sensor picks up that it's drinking 87 octane, it simply adjusts the entire map.

Unless there is some argument that lower octane causes something like excess carbon build-up, I don't see how 87 could be bad for the car. The base fuel is the same. Premium just contains more octane for delayed detonation.

Someone on there commented that they consistently saw lower mileage on 87 in their older 1.8T. In theory, lower octane is more energy-dense, so you should see better mileage on lower octane. I wonder if there is something software-related that ends up causing it, or if it's the driver's expectations (placebo effect.)

I'm sure I'll be reading more up on that issue......

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
Does anyone know anything about the Jeep Liberty CRDs that they had out awhile back, maybe about 10 years ago or so?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Someone on there commented that they consistently saw lower mileage on 87 in their older 1.8T.
My daughter has the 03 B5.5 Passat with the 1.8l. When she had her 45 mile commute, I told her to run midgrade for a month and regular for a month. It didn't make enough difference in mileage to matter. Since she still drives and shifts like it's a diesel, she never saw any issues with top end performance either. When I drive it, I like to hit the bottom of the interstate entrance ramps at 65 mph in third gear. Of course, that is dependent on other traffic.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Ok since this was long before diesel gate I doubt it will be closed, I may have to answer my own question, just found out today MY DPF is cracked , about $2000 to fix, no idea if it is a maintenance item or not, I will need a TB and WP in about 2500 miles, not sure it is wise to put 3k into a car w 127,000 on it, before this I added up my repairs since new , 3500 bucks for repairs not maintenance, it may be time to bail on VW, so what to get????????

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Well, I've been looking. GTI was my initial choice but then I started to look at the R. Pretty sweet but "only" 5k more than a full up GTI (Autobahn PP etc.). These are new ones. However I might be changing over to the pre-owned side. 2015 Audi S3. Found one with all the goodies for less than the price of an R. However, it's still about 38k. I figure my 2012 JSW TDi with pano/nav and 6mt is about $19000. I thought I heard that VW was also going to throw in another 5k. That still leaves me very short. Guess I'm still looking.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
My guess is VW will give you about 19,000 total. I am at 16,5 for my 11 after the mileage hit.

Well, I've been looking. GTI was my initial choice but then I started to look at the R. Pretty sweet but "only" 5k more than a full up GTI (Autobahn PP etc.). These are new ones. However I might be changing over to the pre-owned side. 2015 Audi S3. Found one with all the goodies for less than the price of an R. However, it's still about 38k. I figure my 2012 JSW TDi with pano/nav and 6mt is about $19000. I thought I heard that VW was also going to throw in another 5k. That still leaves me very short. Guess I'm still looking.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
That car was very close to being bought by me. It must have a sport package for the seats alone. I could never find a sport package equipped model when I was looking so I gave up. To top it off I really wanted to have a hatchback. Even today I really want a hatchback after owning one for the past two and a half years. And it's slim pickin' out there for something decent. I'm pretty much down to the GTI (maybe golf R if the price is right) at this point.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
That car was very close to being bought by me. It must have a sport package for the seats alone. I could never find a sport package equipped model when I was looking so I gave up. To top it off I really wanted to have a hatchback. Even today I really want a hatchback after owning one for the past two and a half years. And it's slim pickin' out there for something decent. I'm pretty much down to the GTI (maybe golf R if the price is right) at this point.
I just went for the standard Golf. I also needed a hatchback. To be honest, I have yet to encounter a situation where 170 hp didn't work for me. It's a base 5-door Golf (Trendline+ in Canada) and it's an amazing package for just a hair over $20k. I mean I'd love an R -who wouldn't- but at my age I console myself thinking that by driving a base Golf I'll have more testosterone left over for more pleasurable activities :D

One mod I did do to my Golf was add R-replica HID headlights. The only problem with the base model is the non-availability of the lighting package, and the stock halogens suck pretty bad. The rest is bone-stock and more than adequate, with minimal difference compared to my previous highline except for sunroof, leather and fog lights, but I prefer the cloth seats in my Mk VII to the leather in my Mk VI. I even have built-in NAV with Apple CarPlay and unlike the NAV in my Mk VI, it doesn't require expensive $200 map updates from VW :p .

The bonus is that I was able to pay cash for the Mk VII, and have been able to save up enough money to buy a new carbon-fibre road bike thanks to a no car payment life.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/14b0c150e53ddf5467092cbc483ea779.jpg

A T-38!
I know you're a big plane guy but could you shrink down that photo... It's making it very difficult to read posts.

I just went for the standard Golf. I also needed a hatchback. To be honest, I have yet to encounter a situation where 170 hp didn't work for me. It's a base 5-door Golf (Trendline+ in Canada) and it's an amazing package for just a hair over $20k. I mean I'd love an R -who wouldn't- but at my age I console myself thinking that by driving a base Golf I'll have more testosterone left over for more pleasurable activities :D

One mod I did do to my Golf was add R-replica HID headlights. The only problem with the base model is the non-availability of the lighting package, and the stock halogens suck pretty bad. The rest is bone-stock and more than adequate, with minimal difference compared to my previous highline except for sunroof, leather and fog lights, but I prefer the cloth seats in my Mk VII to the leather in my Mk VI. I even have built-in NAV with Apple CarPlay and unlike the NAV in my Mk VI, it doesn't require expensive $200 map updates from VW :p .

The bonus is that I was able to pay cash for the Mk VII, and have been able to save up enough money to buy a new carbon-fibre road bike thanks to a no car payment life.
I was referring when I bought my current 2011 Golf TDI back in early 2014. I'm thinking that a hatchback will also be on my next car too. It's come in handy way too many times having a hatch vs a trunk. I'm leaning towards a GTI... maybe the Golf All Track. We'll see about standard Golf or Sport Wagon when the time comes.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
My guess is VW will give you about 19,000 total. I am at 16,5 for my 11 after the mileage hit.
Heya Seth - how many miles do you have on the clock if you don't mind posting. Or PM me. If anyone else wants to share what would be great. I have 80,800 on my 11.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Crazy huge photo

I know you're a big plane guy but could you shrink down that photo... It's making it very difficult to read posts.
I was referring when I bought my current 2011 Golf TDI back in early 2014. I'm thinking that a hatchback will also be on my next car too. It's come in handy way too many times having a hatch vs a trunk. I'm leaning towards a GTI... maybe the Golf All Track. We'll see about standard Golf or Sport Wagon when the time comes.
Hey so sorry about that. I linked that photo within tapatalk and didn't realize it was insanely huge. Definitely didn't mean to do that! Thank you for letting me know.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My wife has been actively researching what she wants to purchase. She likes the BMW X5d, but the one BMW dealership in the area has a crappy service department. I do a lot of my own maintenance, but when I do have to take a car in it's nice to deal with people who know what they're doing (the local VW dealership is bad about damaging vehicles and doing sloppy work). The local Audi dealership is less than 5 miles from my house and they always provide a loaner car. My wife took my car in last week for an alignment and they gave her the option to take a new Q7 or A6. There service department is separate from the other brands the dealership carries and they always wash and detail my vehicle no matter what it comes in for. We'll probably end up with an Audi.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hey so sorry about that. I linked that photo within tapatalk and didn't realize it was insanely huge. Definitely didn't mean to do that! Thank you for letting me know.
No problem, I'm kinda surprised no one else said anything :p

My wife has been actively researching what she wants to purchase. She likes the BMW X5d, but the one BMW dealership in the area has a crappy service department. I do a lot of my own maintenance, but when I do have to take a car in it's nice to deal with people who know what they're doing (the local VW dealership is bad about damaging vehicles and doing sloppy work). The local Audi dealership is less than 5 miles from my house and they always provide a loaner car. My wife took my car in last week for an alignment and they gave her the option to take a new Q7 or A6. There service department is separate from the other brands the dealership carries and they always wash and detail my vehicle no matter what it comes in for. We'll probably end up with an Audi.
Those are really nice reasons to consider a upmarket car like a BMW or Audi :)

bshapperd

TDI
2009 JSW CR 2.0 w/DSG. Formerly 1992 1.6TD Jetta
Has anyone looked into a used Mercedes GLK 250? They're pricey but the cabin looks primo and 4wd is helpful. Still get the diesel torque but less economical than my current JSW.

Anyone know what maintenance/repair costs are like ; and what the common faults might be?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Has anyone looked into a used Mercedes GLK 250? They're pricey but the cabin looks primo and 4wd is helpful. Still get the diesel torque but less economical than my current JSW.
Anyone know what maintenance/repair costs are like ; and what the common faults might be?
Way out of my price range, but I can say this: "oil changes" (aka service intervals) are every 20k km based on a former colleague who had a Mercedes B190. She said the 20k service was a cool $500 at the dealer, and she got a really arrogant reply when she complained that this was outrageous along the lines of "Madam, when one owns a Mercedes, one expects to be able to afford the maintenance".