Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
And it'll probably be in the form of a check you wait 6-8 weeks for. Or with our luck, we'll end up getting another prepaid VW visa card.
No, for buy-back it's it's direct deposit or check at turn-in, for modification it's direct deposit or check sent within 3 days of the mod.

Speculation doesn't help when we have facts.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
I was using the adjustment table for the wrong car, but the steps still look right, to me. You should cite your numbers, to avoid confusion...:

2009 142k mi JSW
14,537 table 1A value
142,000 actual miles
Less 13 months = 13X 1,042 miles per month =13,546 (to Oct)
128,454 adjusted miles
-$1,770 mileage adj, per correct table, 125k-130k mileage bracket
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._2b_-_beetle_and_jetta_mileage_table.pdf
Since (-$1,770 < $+5,100), from step 6, go to "Further Adjustment" for steps a and b:
Step a = 5100 – 1770 = 3330
Step b = "For Buyback: Add the result from (a) to the number from (5)"
From 5, where mileage adjusted value = 14,537 - 1,770 = 12,767,
12,767 (from 5.) + 3,330 (step a) = $16,097

Looks like too much, but please show me how.
The bold is all wrong, you double adding your additional compensation.

14537-1770 = 12767

To further show with math.

14537 - 2987 (compensation) = 11550.
Deduct the 20% by 11550/1.2 = 9625 which is the NADA book value.

9625 *.2 = 1925 + 2987 = $4912

Does this match the modification value?

Last edited:

spoonbill

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Have a 2015 Golf S, purchased in September 2014. Cost me about $26700 i believe with 9.x% washington state sales tax, title and fees but don't have the paperwork with me at work to be sure.

Only has 17k miles on it, so mileage adjustment is +$510, so maybe get $24k for it. If the additional cash is included in the buyback compensation, this means my car is only valued at roughly $17k as of one year after purchase (nearly 40% depreciation from sticker).

Not much of a reason to accept a buyback, when I could keep the car, hope for a fix and net $6.5k on top of this.

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
WAIT A MINUTE.. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

1) Aside of us all trying to guess what the real number is, the "official" offer where you put in your VIN and it tells us the real number won't be made available until sometime in July right? Kind of hard to provide public feedback if we are guessing at our numbers.

2) User's can opt for a fix instead... what fix? there is no fix (for many). So how is that supposed to work?

Seems like we are being confused on purpose so that by the time we figure it out, we've either missed the feedback deadline, or we've waited so long for a fix that never came, we've excluded ourselves out of the buyback offer.
We don't get to comment yet.
Basically they filed today, status is thursday, then they discuss it July 26th, then owners will hear specifics by mail, then a final hearing some time after for final approval.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
Judge Charles Breyer will hold what is referred to as a preliminary approval hearing on the proposed Settlements on July 26, 2016. At this hearing, he will hear from the parties about the Settlements.

If the Judge grants preliminary approval, notice will be mailed to owners and lessees announcing the specific terms of the Settlements. At that time, owners/lessees will learn about their rights to exclude themselves, object, or comment on the Settlements as well as the options available to buyback or modify their car, or terminate their lease.

After the notice period is complete, Judge Breyer will hold another hearing, a final approval hearing, to decide whether the Judge will grant final approval to the Settlements. At the final approval hearing, the Judge will consider comments from owners/lessees on whether the Settlements are fair, reasonable, and adequate.

PikesVW

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Attention all, this is exactly what not to do.

I mean seriously, this may be the dumbest thing I've ever read. It's all well and good to get an understanding from these numbers but to do nothing until July 28th is dumb.

The whole reason we got this numbers is to comment. If you can't take the time to check your numbers, see if you agree or disagree then you are doing nothing but hurting other owners.

We want the best deal possible, commenting and actually DOING something is the only way to make that change.

Please people any concerns questions, ANYTHING VOICE THEM. No clue where, but if we get a link I'll post it.

so we speak up and say "NO, i don't agree, i want more money, etc. etc." then what? you think they come back and say, "ok. we will give you more money?" this stuff is all decided above our heads.

while i agree, it is important to go through it and figure it out, it isn't worth wasting tons of hours and stress over, because in the end, they'll dish out what they want and you'll take it or leave it. or waste tons of $$ and time trying to get them to give you what you consider "fair".

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Only if you live (and your car is registered) in these United States. You are aware that this case is just for these United States? Canada will have to come up with it's own settlement.
You live in Canada no? If so, this does not apply to us. We find out by the end of july what is going to happen.

Depends on which side of Thomas Tetzlaff's mouth you believe:

April - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...of-more-than-100000-vehicles/article29710515/

"“Rest assured that what happens in the U.S. will be mirrored in Canada,” Mr. Tetzlaff said."

Today - https://www.thestar.com/business/20...k-147-billion-emissions-settlement-in-us.html

"“Our hope is to provide remedies to Canadians on pace with U.S. customers,” Volkswagen Canada spokesman Thomas Tetzlaff said in an email.

He said, however, that settlement details coming out of the U.S. court proceeding may not apply to Canada, although they will be a consideration for the Canadian discussions."

Dans4

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I did the math. I drop out $2987, then divided that number by 1.2

Ok thanks. This still makes the NADA value last year the value VW is offering. No extra compensation. Am i missing something?

$9,800

This gives me a compensation of 800$ ( where is the 5k?)

14750-4100(mileage)=10,650

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I'll sell them back my car as they will offer far more than anyone else and I need a truck. I still hate to think of it getting crushed. It's been a great car. 75,000 and not a thing ever went wrong. I have a little rattle up front that I'll not try and ignore for awhile longer but other than that, I can't complain.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Let's be honest. The only people that should be looking at the fix are those with Gen 3. I think that'll be the easiest and fastest to get fixed.
I dont necessarily disagree with your opinion I just hate seeing 200,000 page threads with people saying that there is no fix, when in fact there might be. Until VW says....people should use the words "believe", "think" or "opinion". Glancing at this thread alone makes you believe there is no fix. That is not the case (yet or if ever).

Evildad

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Great googley moogly, this is the third time I've done the math on this because it's so confusing.
2011 Sportwagen
19097 (Eastern US) (from this PDF)
- 750 (manual trans)
------
+ 450 mileage adjustment (about 55000 miles) (from this PDF)
-----
18797 Buyback price, which is about what I paid when I bought it with 32000 miles on it

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Let's be honest. The only people that should be looking at the fix are those with Gen 3. I think that'll be the easiest and fastest to get fixed.

I agree with a caveat... for those who basically have NO FIX OPTION, we should have some sort of adjustment.

Basically we are being forced to sell our cars back at blue book. So what if we get a little more than we would have if not for this huge deprecation hit.

Many people bought their cars new, did all the maintenance, babied it, and planned on keeping it for 10+ years and a few hundred thousand miles.

And now we are being told that we have to get low balled, have no choice, but an extra $1-$2 grand is going to make it all better? Hell, I paid that in sales tax on a used car.

It's going to be like voting... it's all about what the majority thinks, regardless if the majority even has a clue.

Half these people are excited to have a few thousand in their hand and are not realizing how much they spent to get that. Reminds me of those stupid games you play and get tickets that you trade in for a silly toy.... "well kid, that stuffed animal cost you $25 but you're to stupid to know that"

... Ok, I feel better.

MNVWMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual
Have a 2015 Golf S, purchased in September 2014. Cost me about $26700 i believe with 9.x% washington state sales tax, title and fees but don't have the paperwork with me at work to be sure.

Only has 17k miles on it, so mileage adjustment is +$510, so maybe get $24k for it. If the additional cash is included in the buyback compensation, this means my car is only valued at roughly $17k as of one year after purchase (nearly 40% depreciation from sticker).

Not much of a reason to accept a buyback, when I could keep the car, hope for a fix and net $6.5k on top of this.

Did I read this right: You paid $26,700 out the door for your 2015 Golf TDI S (manual or auto?)?

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
To calculate as buyer after sept 2015, take the modification value and divide it by 2 and subtract that amount from the buyback column.
It reads as though that is the safe bet, but if it was a lease it might be slightly less than 50%.

I know my 2012 was a lease return.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Please people who are upset remember this frustration. HECK make a word doc and save it now. You are more pissed and your words mean more now then in a week when commenting opens. PLUS being confused and frustrtated about this process the tables/ spreadsheets needs to all be included in consideration by VW.

I want money back for my vehicle but mostly the stress, problems, massive TDIClub threads, and all the other crap that has come along with this mess.

Please don't go Bernie Sanders, don't be silent because you think someone else will speak up.

This forum is a super small group of owners, if you want something to change in this deal, SAY IT.

Even if you will accept the deal still express your anger, hatred and disgust at VW in hopes of a better deal for not only yourself, but for others.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Don't know why you're not getting this.

The mileage adjustment number is NOT the number you need to worry about in step 5, as to whether or not it is below 5100.

It is your buyback number, minus the mileage adjustment number.

So like while my mileage adjustment number is 3990, I subtract that from my buy back number to get my adjusted buy back number of ~18,000.
I think I see now. I was reading step 6's"Modification amount" as the adjustment, not the modified value. Not sure why they chose those words, but I get your point. Thanks.

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
i agree with a caveat... For those who basically have no fix option, we should have some sort of adjustment.
Basically we are being forced to sell our cars back at blue book. So what if we get a little more than we would have if not for this huge deprecation hit.
Many people bought their cars new, did all the maintenance, babied it, and planned on keeping it for 10+ years and a few hundred thousand miles.
And now we are being told that we have to get low balled, have no choice, but an extra $1-$2 grand is going to make it all better? Hell, i paid that in sales tax on a used car.
It's going to be like voting... It's all about what the majority thinks, regardless if the majority even has a clue.
Half these people are excited to have a few thousand in their hand and are not realizing how much they spent to get that. Reminds me of those stupid games you play and get tickets that you trade in for a silly toy.... "well kid, that stuffed animal cost you $25 but you're to stupid to know that"
... Ok, i feel better.
^^^^^^^ +1

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
So... 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus with 17K miles currently. Calcs seem to get me to about $38.6K buyback or $8,900 fix. (and don't forget the $1K goodwill package)

Based on what I paid and depreciation prior to Sept. 2015, this all seems like a reasonable offer. I'll keep my miles in the 1k/mo. range and make a decision if/when the "fix" is revealed depending on how much performance suffers. In the meantime, I'll drive the car normally and enjoy a few more months (12? 18?) of depreciation free driving.

Why is it that people with late model cars are complaining? Just the mileage adjustment for high miles?

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE

This is where most 2014 and 2015 vehicle owners are. Buyback just doesn't seem like a good option.

soccerpeople

TDI
2010 TDI Manual
My 2010 TDI manual with $53,000 miles,,,$15497 + 540 (sunroof) +1830 mileage adjustment = $17867 for a 7 year old car. I am selling it back. Its more than I expected and will get me a replacement car that is newer.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta

Wow.. someone who gets it. How quickly most forgot about that initial depreciation hit. We all know, it will be cheaper for VW to NOT buy the car back.

It will be interesting to see when this online-calculator comes about if they apply any marketing ploys to try and sway you one way or another.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am sure this is common knowledge but how do I determine what gen motor I have?
The EA288 is the Gen 3.
I just don't know what years to differentiate between Gen 1 & 2
Preface this with "4 cylinder only". (All have transverse engine: Golf, Jetta, Passat, Audi A3, New Beetle)

Model year 2015 = Gen 3 regardless of what type of car it is. This is the EA288 engine.

Passat model year 2014 and before = Gen 2.
Anything else model year 2014 and before = Gen 1.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
The amusing thing to me is remembering all the folks who got nasty on threadzilla when you told them to stop acting like they hit the lottery. Many were expecting a new car for free out of this - talking about getting back MSRP on a 2009 - my goodness....

PikesVW

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Please people who are upset remember this frustration. HECK make a word doc and save it now. You are more pissed and your words mean more now then in a week when commenting opens. PLUS being confused and frustrtated about this process the tables/ spreadsheets needs to all be included in consideration by VW.

I want money back for my vehicle but mostly the stress, problems, massive TDIClub threads, and all the other crap that has come along with this mess.

Please don't go Bernie Sanders, don't be silent because you think someone else will speak up.

This forum is a super small group of owners, if you want something to change in this deal, SAY IT.

Even if you will accept the deal still express your anger, hatred and disgust at VW in hopes of a better deal for not only yourself, but for others.

i hope you are right and i am wrong.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
so we speak up and say "NO, i don't agree, i want more money, etc. etc." then what? you think they come back and say, "ok. we will give you more money?" this stuff is all decided above our heads.

while i agree, it is important to go through it and figure it out, it isn't worth wasting tons of hours and stress over, because in the end, they'll dish out what they want and you'll take it or leave it. or waste tons of $$ and time trying to get them to give you what you consider "fair".

VW is not the one that decides. The judge is the one that decide if the plan offered by VW is fair or not.

If we comment, during the 30 days that we are allowed to, that the plan does not seems fair (and it is not fair in my personal case), then the judge might reject it.

My personal case: 09 JSW with 178K miles on it. Paid for. Looks new, no major problems. Since the scandal broke i have spent $2000 in maintenance. Buyback with mileage deduction comes around $10,000. What incentive do i have to sell it back? And if i decided to wait for the fix and the money will be available only after the fix (so another 2 years for my car, if any fix will be ever be available for my car), what incentive do i have to go this route?

NONE

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
We don't get to comment yet.
Basically they filed today, status is thursday, then they discuss it July 26th, then owners will hear specifics by mail, then a final hearing some time after for final approval.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

So wait... I thought it was supposed to go like

Today ... gag order is lifted
Next 30 days (we complain)
July 2016, the Judge Accepts the offer or makes adjustments based on the complains..

... sometime after that, the actual buyout happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.