Wait, so the forum dedicated solely to TDI's won't allow people to post about the TDI

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
You are correct, there are so many answers people are looking for. The problem is that everyone who actually knows the answers is bound to secrecy until at least Tuesday. There will be plenty of opportunity to comment on those answers as soon as we know what they are. You can probably expect a new dieselgate discussion thread to open, but don't expect it to open before next week. We have had enough idle speculation and contradictory "news" stories. The facts will come out in a few days, then a discussion of the facts can commence.

Have Fun!

Don

Many, thinking they were discussing the facts all along in Threadzilla, may be terribly disappointed when the truth becomes known. Given the mindless, speculative chatter so far, I seriously doubt the facts can be kept straight even after they become known.

It really is unfortunate that some have chosen to join TDIClub simply to express their hatred for VW. At this point, TDIHaters.com sounds like a great idea.

flyanddive

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Many, thinking they were discussing the facts all along in Threadzilla, may be terribly disappointed when the truth becomes known. Given the mindless, speculative chatter so far, I seriously doubt the facts can be kept straight even after they become known.

It really is unfortunate that some have chosen to join TDIClub simply to express their hatred for VW. At this point, TDIHaters.com sounds like a great idea.
It's the double standard that is so outrageous about it. If you or I did this we would be looking at substantial jail time for what we did, VW execs instead get golden parachutes.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
There will be plenty of opportunity to comment on those answers as soon as we know what they are.
Provided, of course, it is all done in a single, useless thread of endless commentary on anything tangentially related to the topic. Because, you know, we wouldn't want to organize information and discussion in a way that is actually beneficial and useful.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Provided, of course, it is all done in a single, useless thread of endless commentary on anything tangentially related to the topic. Because, you know, we wouldn't want to organize information and discussion in a way that is actually beneficial and useful.
You can always bypass the forums completely and just go to the U.S. Courts site that will spell out the settlement. Can't get more official than that. The link was posted recently somewhere around here.....oh, yeah, about two down from this thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=462900

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
The emissions scandal is the biggest story and/or topic ever concerning these engines and the moderators aren't allowing to be discussed until they say it is okay? Can someone clue me in on the reasoning behind such a stupid decision; quickly before one of these Barnie Fife wanna-be moderators locks/deletes this thread.
Name calling toward the moderators is completely unwarranted. They are following their instructions. The answer to your question though is "yes there is no meaningful discussion of what occurred allowed". What little is allowed is lumped into a super-thread which effectively destroys such discussion. What should have occurred is the allowance of such discussions throughout the emissions section. Of more concern is that while Nero fiddles, the tdi is burning and soon like Pennock's the tdi will disappear as a yearly offering from VW. The irony is palpable, a forum that claims too support the tdi, doesn't ...........

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Was thredzilla deleted altogether?

Just wondering...Mark My bad, it is just moving down the line for the first time in its history, sorry

Last edited:

brettsacto

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
FWIW, I've lurked for a long time and subscribed in 2013 (and then lost interest and subscribed again) and was able to glean useful information for my car on more than one occasion.

I hope this lawsuit isn't the end. TDI's go back way farther than 2009, and car clubs in general do provide a good direction for the manufacturers to provide improvements (if they listen, unlike Mitsubishi and their ultimate crapola on the DSM crowd by building a front-wheel drive only PIG that couldn't get out of it's own way and banishing the turbo, the AWD platform and a decade of loyal followers in general - but I digress - die Mitsu die!).

Anyhow, the moderators on these sites put up with an inordinate amount of crap - and for basically no pay.

I was a "mod" for years and understand it. So - kudos and thanks to the mods on the forum. I've appreciated it and it's provided me with a lot of money and time savings for my car, and good overall knowledge.

Peace, Love and Hair Grease!

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
FWIW,

Anyhow, the moderators on these sites put up with an inordinate amount of crap - and for basically no pay.

Peace, Love and Hair Grease!
If crap replaced deisel they would be rich. When this is all over we can return to some (norm all see):D

So glad to see threadzilla and the goats sliding down down into the deep abyss.

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
Have to say that I for one have been more productive with threadzilla locked. It really was intertaining and yes it allowed many to vent in a single place.

Like others, I have found this forum to be very useful for solving problems and for general information.

I think the mods were more than tolerant with that thread and made the right decision.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
As a moderator, I have a request to the masses and a question for the masses.

As you can see by looking through this forum (and this is completely what I expected), we now have about 20 threads about the same topic. It's near impossible to stay on top of it. If you point out something or ask something in one of those threads, people reading the other 19 threads won't see it. Furthermore it's hard to even keep track of any responses to that question yourself. I asked something and I can't find it because I don't remember which thread I asked it in.

So, the request is ... STOP MAKING NEW THREADS ABOUT THIS.

And the question is ... Should I:
(1) Lock all but one thread about this topic. (mildly time consuming, clean outcome)
(2) Merge all of the threads into one. (labour intensive - I don't have time for this - the result will be a BIG MESSY thread)
(3) Let mayhem prevail and do nothing. (Easy for me - messy outcome)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Proposed settlement seems to be public....
Fixed it for you. No settlement will be final until after the 30 day comment period and the judge OKs the agreement.

(1) Lock all but one thread about this topic. (mildly time consuming, clean outcome)
(2) Merge all of the threads into one. (labour intensive - I don't have time for this - the result will be a BIG MESSY thread)
I vote for #1 (again)

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Brian... one thought I had... is there any way you can/would make a specific forum section for Dieselgate topics? Kinda like there are sections for MKIII, MKIV, MKV, etc?

That at least consolidates the threads (and yes, it will impossible for the mods to play wack-a-mole this time) into one forum at least. Then let 'em rip... since that's what they are all asking for and seem to think they can handle.

A couple of stickie posts could guide folks into the "Dieselgate in this forum only" section... any posts outside are a simple lock and folks will get the idea... and ideally there's a way for the large number of folks disinterested in the carnage to unsubscribe from that specific forum.

Just a thought... and thanks again for all the hard work as mods.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual

As you can see by looking through this forum (and this is completely what I expected), we now have about 20 threads about the same topic. It's near impossible to stay on top of it. If you point out something or ask something in one of those threads, people reading the other 19 threads won't see it. Furthermore it's hard to even keep track of any responses to that question yourself. I asked something and I can't find it because I don't remember which thread I asked it in.

I would leave the existing ones and let them run wild...give it a few days or weeks and the lock them. Before locking them Id include a link to refer them to ONE central thread once actuals are known. My $0.02

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Couldn't it also be said that what ever comes out on the 28th won't be "news" either as they may incorporate changes from the public comment? I say we delete all threads until all 480,000 cars have either be bought back, fixed, or totaled!
Quoted for emphasis

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Threadzilla version 1 is dead. There is no point in unlocking it because it's too big for the forum software to handle properly.

There is a new Dieselgate settlement thread that is a sticky in this forum (TDI Emissions). General Dieselgate settlement discussion should take place in that thread. If there is a legitimately and significantly different topic to discuss with regard to Dieselgate, we may allow a new thread for it. For now, copycat, headline regurgitation, and "breaking news" threads (in quotes because most of that stuff is old news, anyway) will be locked to keep all pertinent information in one place.

Sorry if some people think this is Draconian, but having multiple threads discussing the same things doesn't do the community any good and only fragments discussion and makes finding information very difficult.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
.......Sorry if some people think this is Draconian, but having multiple threads discussing the same things doesn't do the community any good and only fragments discussion and makes finding information very difficult.
This is exactly why I love this place!

IMHO this makes sense of the huge amount of news articles hitting the fan. Having a sticky thread as a one stop shop for information and discussion is the best way.

TDI club and myturbodiesel are the two best places to find info on tdi's in general. Having dedicated threads that target exactly what folks are looking for helps not just forum members but also the general public when looking for information on the issue.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I guess you're right; bandwidth is expensive. I don't understand how most of the online economy works, and just assumed that the more traffic, the better... as many advertising models do seem to work this way.

Until dieselgate, I rarely visited /r/tdi, but reddit's format has just made it easier to browse and ***** about things than trying to navigate threadzilla, haha.

This site is definitely/I] a healthier database of TDI info though, that's for certain :)

This is a non profit site run by donations only, traffic costs this site money, it does not earn it money per say. I think a LOT of people have yet to understand this.

The traffic was costing the site too much money and the mods did what they had to do to stop the bleeding. A bunch of tdienviromentalhaters bashing on enthusiasts was doing nothing to help the site and was just causing bandwidth.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta

I say option 1 because letting things go will be a disaster and merging threads will result in stuff making no sense at all.

I would leave the existing ones and let them run wild...give it a few days or weeks and the lock them. Before locking them Id include a link to refer them to ONE central thread once actuals are known. My $0.02
Heck no, the site will be spammed into oblivion if you let them go. I 100% disagree with that idea.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

This site exists for the discussion of tdi related matters. Content comes from the people who visit this site. Content comes from the vehicle engine for which the site is so named. By analogy, 10 people post different threads regarding their upgrades to their vehicle for shocks/struts. Should the moderator pick the thread in the upgrade section that the moderator believes is the best shocks/struts upgrade? or should the moderator merge all the different threads into one thread? or should the moderator allow people to post their upgrades in the upgrade section?

The answer should be that if it is a news item there is a news section; if it is an emissions item there is an emissions section; and then there is the end of the discussion where all content ends and that is true mayhem ......

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There is no perfect way to run a forum, but I think TDIClub has done very well over the past 20 years considering it 100% self-funded and has no paid advertisements on it whatsoever. Having joined in mid-2000, I have found this to be a great community with great information and wonderful people all over the country and the world. We all have our differences in personalities and opinions, but one thing that we have in common is TDIs. Some people want TDIs for performance reasons, some for economical reasons, and some for efficiency or environmental reasons. Blasting one another about which reason is best seems silly...

As for the direction the forum is allowed to go, the administrators and moderators have no qualms about hurting a few feelings in order to do what's right for the community at large. We might not be perfect, but we strive to be fair and transparent. I hope people feel that stopping dieselgate discussion during the past week was the right thing to do. Most of what was leaked by Bloomberg's secret source didn't get us any closer to what we found out today, and speculating on that information would have been a source of frustration for people and a waste of bandwidth for the site.

Finally, for current discussions, there is a main settlement sticky thread in the emissions forum, as well as another sticky thread for how to calculate your buyback/modification allowance. Other threads may come and go based on their relevance and uniqueness - we're trying to keep similar discussions in their appropriate threads, rather than having cleanup on aisle 3 every couple of days... your cooperation is appreciated. :)

PS: To answer the many PMs I have received: The original dieselgate thread will not be reopened. It was too big for the forum software to handle, considering all of the moved and deleted posts. All future discussions will take place in the threads described above.

Last edited: