Wait, so the forum dedicated solely to TDI's won't allow people to post about the TDI

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
The emissions scandal is the biggest story and/or topic ever concerning these engines and the moderators aren't allowing to be discussed until they say it is okay? Can someone clue me in on the reasoning behind such a stupid decision; quickly before one of these Barnie Fife wanna-be moderators locks/deletes this thread.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
because all the threads are stupid. ibtl :p

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
That past few weeks...that thread degenerated into a poo flinging fest. What was once a thread with a (generally) peaceful debate got nasty, as some people decided to take their frustrations over the issue out on one another. I think that about sums it up.

R4074

TDI
That past few weeks...that thread degenerated into a poo flinging fest. What was once a thread with a (generally) peaceful debate got nasty, as some people decided to take their frustrations over the issue out on one another. I think that about sums it up.
Okay, got it, now I understand why, thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Can someone clue me in on the reasoning behind such a stupid decision; quickly before one of these Barnie Fife wanna-be moderators locks/deletes this thread.
Try reading all of the (37,000+) posts in Threadzilla. Then consider that all of the really terrible ones have been deleted by the moderators (hundreds of posts). That thread just degenerated into lots of personal attacks, reported posts, cloaked obscenities, name calling, and wild speculation. Nothing good was happening and people were just posting to take up space and kill time. Moderating that thread became almost impossible. Since nothing will be known until at least June 28th, it was decided to close the thread until then. It will reopen then and you can freely express your opinion about how good or how bad the announcement really is. Then we will have to wait another month (30 day official comment period) before any plan is finalized. I personally hope that that thread will get closed again until July 28th, but that is not my decision to make.

Have Fun!

Don

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Do we really think the poo flinging won't come back to threadzilla or any replacement once the speculation has ended?

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
This is TDIclub, where people come to talk about diesels, there is relevent TDI discussion happening and NEWS that members want to talk about. Yes, Threadzilla was to be closed until the gag order was dropped on the 28th..that has changed, there is news happening now that people want to talk about. If they cannot talk about it here, they will go somewhere else to.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
This is TDIclub, where people come to talk about diesels, there is relevent TDI discussion happening and NEWS that members want to talk about. Yes, Threadzilla was to be closed until the gag order was dropped on the 28th..that has changed, there is news happening now that people want to talk about. If they cannot talk about it here, they will go somewhere else to.
Yup...
But some issues are too emotional for some folks to "let it ride" and have a bit if fun with....
So they would rather say "sushhhhhhh... don't talk about it...it we don't talk about it it's not as bad"...
It generational and how bad things are dealt with....sweep it under the rug...
Let's not talk of it...many things that were once taboo is now spoken about openly....
Here...the typical viewer is if an older demographic ....so when it seems too bad...the urge is to get folks to stop talking about it. Just my opinion....
The internet is like the wild-west....folks will always sling mud....
If it was too stressful to try too keep up with reading threadzilla, then maybe they should have ignored it and let it go wild-west....folks would have given up...
And a new "clean thread" would be started when the settlement is officially announced....and the jerks would get reported in THAT thread....

R4074

TDI
Try reading all of the (37,000+) posts in Threadzilla. Then consider that all of the really terrible ones have been deleted by the moderators (hundreds of posts). That thread just degenerated into lots of personal attacks, reported posts, cloaked obscenities, name calling, and wild speculation. Nothing good was happening and people were just posting to take up space and kill time. Moderating that thread became almost impossible. Since nothing will be known until at least June 28th, it was decided to close the thread until then. It will reopen then and you can freely express your opinion about how good or how bad the announcement really is. Then we will have to wait another month (30 day official comment period) before any plan is finalized. I personally hope that that thread will get closed again until July 28th, but that is not my decision to make.

Have Fun!

Don
If someone cannot abide by the terms of use for the site it is pretty simple, just delete their post. If the moderators don't want to do this the site can simply find moderators that are willing to. To block discussion of the largest topic have to do with the TDI on a web forum named TDI seems pretty ridiculous to me. I have never been a member of a forum that dictates what can and cannot be discussed (except for subjects being posting in the wrong forum). It is almost like the moderators think that they know what and when people should be talking about something.

R4074

TDI
Yup...
But some issues are too emotional for some folks to "let it ride" and have a bit if fun with....
So they would rather say "sushhhhhhh... don't talk about it...it we don't talk about it it's not as bad"...
It generational and how bad things are dealt with....sweep it under the rug...
Let's not talk of it...many things that were once taboo is now spoken about openly....
Here...the typical viewer is if an older demographic ....so when it seems too bad...the urge is to get folks to stop talking about it. Just my opinion....
The internet is like the wild-west....folks will always sling mud....
If it was too stressful to try too keep up with reading threadzilla, then maybe they should have ignored it and let it go wild-west....folks would have given up...
And a new "clean thread" would be started when the settlement is officially announced....and the jerks would get reported in THAT thread....
Reminds me of the cries of "microaggression" on college campuses and the demand for "safe spaces."

sbh1973

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
This is a VW TDI forum and the moderators have decreed that users can't talk about the most important issue facing VW because they didn't like their conversation. Too much speculation, too much argument? Seriously? That thread was pure entertainment, nothing more, a place for a pretty small group of I'm sure middle-aged men like me with too much time of their hands to sit around and chew the fat about what would happen to their car. Totally harmless, by and large civil, and only a little bit nasty from time to time. Who cares? Just post a note that the thread is unmoderated. Don't like it? Then don't participate in it.

CEaton

TDI
2014 VW Sportwagen TDI DSG
Thing is, they have put their foot down, they will look stupid if they open it back up, so wackamole continues. I'm sure they are working more now closing threads than they were cleaning that thread up.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Thing is, they have put their foot down, they will look stupid if they open it back up, so wackamole continues. I'm sure they are working more now closing threads than they were cleaning that thread up.
They look worse by keep closing threads. The initial news was that the gag order would be in place until the 28th (extended from the 21st) but the rules changed.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
But shutting down discussion on pertinent articles by Bloomberg and Wall Street journal? Idk

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The thing is folks use this site differently....
Those of us that are mad it was locked use the site for fun and as a time killer....
The people that closed it look at it as a distraction from how they use the site...for information.
Rather than being able to say "nothing that has been said matters till the gag is over" and ignoring it, they felt the need to "stay current" on random speculation....and we all KNOW IT WAS SPECULATION..but speculation offends some people cause it's about something they don't want happening...
Me...I love my car...I am mad VW chose to break the law to sell a product , then hid it.
Is this a chance to ditch VW? Maybe. Depends. But some folks read stuff like that, and get fearful the idea might spread ....and they might the last ones at the party....so some folks lash out. But we can see what different members are really made of ....those of us that stay will remember.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
But shutting down discussion on pertinent articles by Bloomberg and Wall Street journal? Idk
I know....it's like they think it's the end if the world...so don't say anything.
Bloomberg is running stories...
CNN has them....
But not here....

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Haven't posted in awhile. Was too obsessed with no news, so I took a break. Come back and Threadzilla is locked and a post from The WSJ is shut down as "speculation".

I get the need to control the positive flow of real discussion- but damn, there is a real discussion to be had about this and there is nowhere to post directly to the topic at hand.

I guess I'll check in after Tuesday since we aren't supposed to discuss this any further.

All the best to everyone. Hope all of you are well.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Get ready for you private message saying "if you don't like it, start your own forum/website".

I've had my own website/forums since 2003 and if a mod or even an admin pulled this stunt they'd get deleted faster than they could cry about having to actually do some work. Yes they do it for free but being a mod should not just be a tittle.

Mods stick together in their moderator section being yes men. Then there is the forum members that kiss their trunks because they're scared to piss off the "titled mods".
-----------

No offence to any mod on this site. However I'd bet the mod that made this rule has the lowest count in the "mod statistics" in the V-bulletin control panel.

I've been helped out a handfull of times by a mod on this site and they're awesome. Veedubtdi is my favourite, he responds right away and goes the extra mile to help.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't mind the link to the WSJ or Bloomberg articles being posted (once!, not 10 times in 10 separate threads with slightly differing titles). But the speculative discussion afterwards is what WE, collectively, are trying to contain, because it has led to unrealistic expectations, name-calling, political arguments, and all manner of nastiness. That's why threads with links to those articles are being locked but not deleted.

It's too hard and too time consuming to delete individual posts, and because none of us are here 24/7 to contain the consequences and follow-up to such posts ... the consensus has been to shut 'em down. My own opinion of this course of action is irrelevant. That's the consensus and that's what we are doing.

Just wait until the 28th ... then you can discuss facts rather than possibly inaccurate or speculative "leaks" of questionable origin.

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I have been a Moderator on a site where we publicly handed out suspensions and outright bans for bad behavior as spelled out in the TOU. It was public deliberately.

If "xyz" got a 2 week suspension, everybody knew and knew why. That helped to settle things down and if someone did not get it then wham. Another suspension announcement until everybody finally "gets it"

2nd time infractions carried longer suspensions etc leading up to outright bans.

You can do that on a privately owned forum and this one certainly is. TDI should consider this.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
The most diesel gate news to come out since September and now all the threads are being locked because someone's feelings got hurt on the Internet lol

Wklink

TDI
2014 TDI Sportswagen
Personally, all of the 'news' is contradictory and probably in most cases going to be wrong. Full buyback, thousands in cash, market value. Who really knows at this point. Personally it is all a bunch of speculation in the media based on stuff that is supposedly leaked. I doubt the full extent is known.

The mods aren't deleting the threads with the info that is being put out, just stopping them from degenerating into 'I knew it, VW is screwing us!' posts. I won't believe anything until the 28th, then the speculation will be put to bed.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I won't believe anything until the 28th, then the speculation will be put to bed.
...and the waiting will begin anew. Nothing will be final until sometime after the 30 day comment period ends. On the 28th we will get a better idea about what will happen because we will hear what they have tentatively agreed upon. The final announcement won't occur until late July (if we are lucky). IMHO, we will be lucky if the first buyback (or fix) happens before September. The waiting, and complaining have only just begun. There will be more to come.

Have Fun!

Don

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Try reading all of the (37,000+) posts in Threadzilla. Then consider that all of the really terrible ones have been deleted by the moderators (hundreds of posts). That thread just degenerated into lots of personal attacks, reported posts, cloaked obscenities, name calling, and wild speculation.
Wow, totally missed that thread.

Chris Thomas

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI sold to VW bought a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado diesel to replace it.(wanted AWD and work at a GM dealership)
I think VW is busy researching anonymous drones that can seek out TDI's then with the onboard few pounds of c4, doing a kamikaze on unoccupied cars. Think about it every car they find and destroys saves them thousands of dollars. Maybe amazon is helping them develop the drones and that amazon is going to get a kick back for every successful delivery.:p