Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just click the Report this post icon, fill out the reason for the report, and send it. Enough of them and Lawson will take appropriate action.
And he deals with that stuff quickly and swiftly. If not he, there are other mods, like GoFaster.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Ah, he definitely has lived it as he is probably much older than you. :D

Oh, btw, it is spelled "fanboi" ;)
Again, the lying and now assumptions.

He said himself was a child of the 1970s. So you are telling him that he was wrong and instead lived in the 1060s?

And as far as my username "fanboy" was used prior to "fanboi"

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
I kind of like that paint job. Kind of gives it character and clearly makes it look different from the "run of the mill" Dodge trucks out there (and there are tons of them).
Two tone paint jobs were pretty common once upon a time and many were done tastefully, like on this truck. It's all about cost minimization now so manufacturer's won't go for two toning vehicles anymore.
Sounds like you are the "plain vanilla" type of guy! :D

I am with you, I like the two tone. Different and gives it character

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Again, the lying and now assumptions.

He said himself was a child of the 1970s. So you are telling him that he was wrong and instead lived in the 1060s?

And as far as my username "fanboy" was used prior to "fanboi"
I think you're mixing up two posters with similar user names. I believe it was the one who lives in FL that he grew up in the 70s. The one from OK seems to have grown up in the '50s or '60s.

Ah, then the ricers hijacked it and gave it a japglish spelling.

Last edited:

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
I think you're mixing up two posters with similar user names. I believe it was the one who lives in FL that he grew up in the 70s. The one from OK seems to have grown up in the '50s or '60s.

Ah, then the ricers hijacked it and gave it a japglish spelling.

If so, I apologize. Though I feel like the one I quoted originally stated he grew up in the 1970s. But I do not care enough to read back a few pages.

And I am under impression "fanboi" did originate in the anime community but since I have never watched any anime ever I could be wrong.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately it may go the other way. We went out car shopping in last few days and found other dealers are aware they may have the upper hand after the 21rst. Many said MSRP will be bottom line. Heard some stories that next years MSRP's may be "adjusted" due to demand if several 100k cars being bought back.

As for compensation. I do not think 2-3x original MSRP is not unreasonable. Either that or MSRP + out of pocket costs including:

Repair costs due to faulty stuff like DEF heaters and other diesel relted components
Cost of extended warranties purchased with the vehicle
"cost" of "lost" all future mileage value as we go from 40+MPG to 24- or so
The literal pain and suffering we are going thru right now
The costs associated with the unanticipated purchase of a new car
Flat out punitive damages for fraud

If these are unreasonable please be civil to me and all the others that are being punished in this Criminal/Environmental incident.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If so, I apologize. Though I feel like the one I quoted originally stated he grew up in the 1970s. But I do not care enough to read back a few pages.

And I am under impression "fanboi" did originate in the anime community but since I have never watched any anime ever I could be wrong.
Accepted.

As for the anime, it could be and was then adopted by the ricer community.

My form of "anime" came from people like Walter Lantz, Tex Avery, etc. :D

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Can you tell me the reason you think the government is conspiring against diesels? What is the motivation? Give examples. I will be waiting
DUH, it's in my signature.

Demonising Diesel

They've already won the war against Clean Air.

............And of course there's this FACT:

The amount of TaxPayer Money CARB/EPA will waste to lower their Diesel Hating limit from an already insignificant 0.07 to 0.04, then to 0.03, then to 0.02, then to 0 is NOT going to do a damn thing to clean our air any farther than it already is.

They're now fighting a battle they've already won!

It's like spending billions of $$$ of taxpayer money to choke hold the last few drops of water dripping from a 50 gallon barrel after all 50 gallons have already been removed.

It's NOT about CLEAN AIR anymore, It's about their conspiracy to BAN Diesels forever.

These are all MY OPINIONS, all backed up by FACTS which myself & others have backed up these facts with posts going back all over this 37,000+ page long thread since September 2015.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
They'll all file personal lawsuits & it would cost VW 3 time more money than if they just paid back the FULL PRICE PAID in the first place.
Or worse, they opt out of the CAS, meaning that they leave open the door for lawsuits for a couple years, at least through 2017-18. This puts something in the financial reports of the company dealing with risks to the business. So, it's not only a cost current cash, but an ongoing stock price issue.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
THAT is a primary reason I'm not looking anywhere south of the Black Canyon City latitude for my projected move to AZ - I've had enough triple digit days up here! The Prescott area looks nice.
Prescott is nice, starting to get crowded though. There are other options like Prescott Valley. I like it because it is big enough to have most things that you may need, but is only an hour and a half from Phoenix, for those things that they don't have...Mark

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I kind of like that paint job. Kind of gives it character and clearly makes it look different from the "run of the mill" Dodge trucks out there (and there are tons of them).
Two tone paint jobs were pretty common once upon a time and many were done tastefully, like on this truck. It's all about cost minimization now so manufacturer's won't go for two toning vehicles anymore.
Sounds like you are the "plain vanilla" type of guy! :D
White is the color that stands up best to the heat in Phoenix, if I have my 'druthers, my vehicles are going to be white...Mark

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
If in order to get the compensation dollars should I choose not to sell it back they require me to get the fix, I'm going to be unhappy. Especially if that fix reduces the car's performance and can't be undone by a tuner.
But I can see that be part of the requirement to keep and fix. Both VW and Govt would want that. I suspect either way, I'm going to be unhappy.
A tuner won't undo it? Are we sure because any of us that plan on keeping the car after the fix I think are counting on the fact that we can.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I make these mistakes because I like to rely on my sometimes faulty memory. I read somewhere that people nowadays think that they are smart because they know how to google things. I would rather, in most cases, make minor mistakes by relying on my memory, than be a "google intellect". That does not mean that I don't google, but I try to put the things that I do google into my memory banks, so that I don't have to google it again...Mark Edit: This is not directed at you, I appreciate the info...
I have this rather unusual affliction in that I remember the lyrics to pretty much every song I've heard, more than likely due to my appreciation to the craft. I did cut and paste the lyrics cuz I'm too lazy to type it all out, Google can be your friend.

Henley's solo career has eclipsed anything he did with the Eagles IMHO, and with Glenn Frey's passing Henley will be spending all of his time on his solo career (touring with the Eagles was lucrative but time consuming). From what I can gather he's heading towards more of a country & western bend to his music, and he'll be playing guitar a lot.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
White is the color that stands up best to the heat in Phoenix, if I have my 'druthers, my vehicles are going to be white...Mark
I swore off white after my Mustang. Dark colors absorb heat, so if not white, then it looks like silver or other light shades would be best. My '83 Rabbit Diesel Pickup was a light metallic blue, call "Frost Blue", code LE5U.

Last edited:

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
A tuner won't undo it? Are we sure because any of us that plan on keeping the car after the fix I think are counting on the fact that we can.
If it's just SW on Gen 2&3 then no doubt if they have one now, no reason it can't be back on later.

One could hope Gen 1 given the opportunity to properly size the SCR, leave the MPG where it is, or even turn it up, lower the PM and save the DPF, and still meet the NOx output requirement. SCR might be in 2 parts where the LNT is, plus more along the way to the back. Anyway, one could hope, make it right.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Unfortunately it may go the other way. We went out car shopping in last few days and found other dealers are aware they may have the upper hand after the 21rst. Many said MSRP will be bottom line. Heard some stories that next years MSRP's may be "adjusted" due to demand if several 100k cars being bought back.

As for compensation. I do not think 2-3x original MSRP is not unreasonable. Either that or MSRP + out of pocket costs including:

Repair costs due to faulty stuff like DEF heaters and other diesel relted components
Cost of extended warranties purchased with the vehicle
"cost" of "lost" all future mileage value as we go from 40+MPG to 24- or so
The literal pain and suffering we are going thru right now
The costs associated with the unanticipated purchase of a new car
Flat out punitive damages for fraud

If these are unreasonable please be civil to me and all the others that are being punished in this Criminal/Environmental incident.
You have a 2012 car, I imagine said vehicle has had plenty of use? And in spite of that, you're entitled to full purchase price and more? Really?

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
...These are all MY OPINIONS, all backed up by FACTS which myself & others have backed up these facts with posts going back all over this 37,000+ page long thread since September 2015.
In addition, South Coast Air Quality Management Division (SCAQMD) strongly implied its opposition to light-duty diesels in its comments on California's "Low Carbon Fuel Standard" in 2009. SCAQMD is a sub-agency of CARB.

...The AQMD staff is concerned about the possible increase in light-duty dieselization...
(page 5 (9 of 15))

http://www.arb.ca.gov/lists/lcfs09/265-scaqmd_comments_re_low_carbon_fuel_std_041709.pdf

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Didn't Chevrolet sell a total of 1 Cruze diesel in the U.S. in 2015? Sounds like as good a reason as any to discontinue it.
From GM's announcement, the Cruze redesign will be out as a 2017 and include the diesel engine. This was announced about this time last year.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I swore off white after my Mustang. Dark colors absorb heat, so if not white, then it looks like silver or other light shades would be best. My '83 Rabbit Diesel Pickup was a light metallic blue, call "Frost Blue", code LE5U.
I've had white, which is certainly the best, but I've also had several silver vehicles and I think overall it offers the best compromise. Doesn't show dirt or blemishes, holds up to our heat and sun here, and still not plain old white.

That being said, I'd still generally choose white first if it was available and silver second.

My Golf is black, because I shopped used and this was the best deal I could find. I like it well enough, but man it is a royal pain to keep looking good.

ben

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
What facts can you cite to prove the Govt is against diesel? I think the opposite is true.
I have to agree here. The emission standards are technology neutral. They are not specifically anti-diesel, just anti-pollution, although a lot of what the limits should be are misguided. And then there are other issues too that others have mentioned so I won't go there. I haven't been able to find anything specifically anti-diesel to back up any conspiracy theories, aside from the EPA and CARB's witch hunt by doing extra testing on diesel vehicles to verify no cheating is occurring.

The 2016 BMW 535d and X5 35d underwent extra testing to verify no cheating was involved and passed. The Nissan Titan XD pickup with the 5L Cummins V8 turbodiesel also underwent extra testing and passed. All of these received their EPA and CARB certifications post-dieselgate scandal. IIRC these cars were delayed about a month due to the extra testing involved.

The Chevy Cruze diesel is far from dead too. The Cruze diesel is taking a temporary hiatus while the car is retooled with a bigger diesel from Opel. IIRC, the Cruze diesel sedan is a go but not in the hatchback.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/12...gine-as-a-strength-despite-current-attitudes/

Right now the focus is on diesel and rightfully so because of what VW did. Out of "fairness" if nothing else, I want to see a lot of DI gassers tested under real world driving conditions. I expect them to fail even if no cheating is involved due to the dyno tests not representing real world conditions.

We know that emissions testing under real world driving conditions using PEMS will be done more in the future. IMHO, whether cheating is involved or not, emissions noncompliance under real world driving conditions will not be limited to VW and not limited to diesel. I say this the start of things to come as more cars get tested using PEMS. ICCT and WVU, please PEMS test some DI gassers!

I plan to file comments during the 30-day comment period.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just tooling around town, then noticed at a stop light, 1,000 RPMs

Down shifted to 3 or 4 to get RPMs up in the 3,500 - 4,000 range, -- took about 10-15 minutes to get it down to 800 at idle.

All this happened at about 2,300 on the clock

Took it to the barn -- waited 1 minute to shut down.

Wanting to thank all the knowledgeable TDICLUB members for good advice on my buggy:)

Question: How often should my car RE-GEN?

Thanks
About once a tank. Lot's of arguements on that one but from all of the agreements, it looks like the engine will regen around every 500 miles depending on driving conditions and habits. It seems that my car always waits to start a regen until I either pull into the parking lot at work or the driveway.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
jack·ass
ˈjakˌas/Submit
noun
a stupid person.
a male ass or donkey.
Which one are you? You certainly don't look like a donkey...

You come to this TDI DIESEL CLUB Forum at the end of January 4 months AFTER Dieselgate blows up & repeatedly & deliberately attack me personally, & other LONG TIME members, personally putting us down calling us childish names.

What do you call a person who does this?

Your agenda motivation appears to be to put down all DIESELS period, and anyone else who does not agree with your agenda. OR, you argue with anyone about anything just for the sake of arguing.

Do you work for EPA? Maybe you started it? You would have to be older for that though, but you sound like a child personally attacking me & many others personally.

Everyone keeps telling me to stop feeding you, they're right.

Wasting your time, no longtime members of this forum are going to change their ideas about DIESELS, this has been a DIESEL Forum for 20+ Years.

Here's a few suggestions you'll love these:

BAN DIESEL!

GREENhybrid
the green automotive community

EPA Forum

CARB

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have a 2012 car, I imagine said vehicle has had plenty of use? And in spite of that, you're entitled to full purchase price and more? Really?

I agree its rather greedy on our part but this thing has been a real kick in the gut. I chose the passat as what may be our last car due to advancing age. We really need the MPG due to our new, really rural, location. Its 200 miles to anything like Lowes, Costco etc.

We just went over 29K in 4+ years (the last 1000 miles were dealer related visits). We were recently contacted by an attorney who flat said regardless of what VW offers under Fed agreement individual lawsuits can still be filed. Some attorneys think asking treble damages based on MSRP are reasonable. I think our request is quite conservative considering VWs blatant fraud and we will need the full amount for an unanticipated car replacement. VW may have committed CRIMINAL fraud and the penalties set forth in law are rather severe.

I might add we have had at least 6 attorneys contact us by mail having gotten our names/addresses via DMV. Anyone get more than this?

Again lets be civil.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I am looking forward to seeing what kind of deal I can get on a new-but-never-sold 2015 TDI! :)
I've been thinking the same thing, though I doubt I'll actually buy one. VW will have to put some serious discounts on those if they want to get rid of them. I have a cousin shopping for a small, fuel efficient new car right now. If she wasn't maintenance challenged concerning her vehicles, I'd suggest one for her.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've had white, which is certainly the best, but I've also had several silver vehicles and I think overall it offers the best compromise. Doesn't show dirt or blemishes, holds up to our heat and sun here, and still not plain old white.
That being said, I'd still generally choose white first if it was available and silver second.
My Golf is black, because I shopped used and this was the best deal I could find. I like it well enough, but man it is a royal pain to keep looking good.
ben

I feel your pain.:) I don't think white is much better at hiding grime though.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I've been thinking the same thing, though I doubt I'll actually buy one. VW will have to put some serious discounts on those if they want to get rid of them. I have a cousin shopping for a small, fuel efficient new car right now. If she wasn't maintenance challenged concerning her vehicles, I'd suggest one for her.
Ditto. I noticed locally that some new 2015s are now being sold at dealers again. I sent an email asking about if the car has been fixed or not and that I was interested in trading my 2009. No word yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.