European Approval on Emission Recall

rpgonzalez

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen
that makes me even more irritated that the fix can be done without affecting economy or performance. so all the trickery was just laziness? :mad:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
My wild speculation would be that it was more likely Time-To-Market and/or programming budget pressures. Given more time and money additional hurtles were overcome.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
that makes me even more irritated that the fix can be done without affecting economy or performance. so all the trickery was just laziness? :mad:
It remains to be seen whether this is actually the case.

It remains to be seen whether the European "fix" does anything whatsoever outside of the engine speed and load conditions seen in the NEDC. The way it was before, it only operated with emission controls if it followed the NEDC exactly. Probably now, they will remain operational if you drive generally within the speed and load conditions found in the NEDC but not necessarily following the cycle exactly - but at higher speeds and loads (the way most people actually drive) ... it remains to be seen what will happen.

I'm skeptical of the claim that it won't affect economy or performance. The way it was before, the emissions and economy were established via following the NEDC, during which the emission controls were active. Now, the emissions and economy will be established by following the NEDC, during which ... the emission controls are active just like before!

It remains to be seen what happens when the vehicle is driven under conditions outside of NEDC i.e. real world ... If the emissions are only reduced under the very light load conditions found in the NEDC, it's pretty likely that the economy and performance won't be affected much, but it's also pretty likely that the real-world emissions won't be affected much (i.e. they'll still be high - just as they have been finding with non-VW diesels in the EU - it will be the same situation)

rpgonzalez

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen
It remains to be seen whether this is actually the case.

It remains to be seen whether the European "fix" does anything whatsoever outside of the engine speed and load conditions seen in the NEDC. The way it was before, it only operated with emission controls if it followed the NEDC exactly. Probably now, they will remain operational if you drive generally within the speed and load conditions found in the NEDC but not necessarily following the cycle exactly - but at higher speeds and loads (the way most people actually drive) ... it remains to be seen what will happen.

I'm skeptical of the claim that it won't affect economy or performance. The way it was before, the emissions and economy were established via following the NEDC, during which the emission controls were active. Now, the emissions and economy will be established by following the NEDC, during which ... the emission controls are active just like before!

It remains to be seen what happens when the vehicle is driven under conditions outside of NEDC i.e. real world ... If the emissions are only reduced under the very light load conditions found in the NEDC, it's pretty likely that the economy and performance won't be affected much, but it's also pretty likely that the real-world emissions won't be affected much (i.e. they'll still be high - just as they have been finding with non-VW diesels in the EU - it will be the same situation)
In other words, you are saying that the NEDC and/or KBA are not doing real world testing?

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
In other words, you are saying that the NEDC and/or KBA are not doing real world testing?

The "real world testing" they allow is a joke. It's insanely low load situations that these cars almost never operate in, at least not in extended periods.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It has never been a requirement for the vehicle type approval in the EU to do real world emissions testing. If it passed the NEDC test in the laboratory it was good to go and it didn't matter what happened after that.

"Real driving emissions" is coming in the EU in the next couple of years because it's a recognized issue but it will only apply to new vehicles going forward. VW's retrofit will only be required to comply with standards that were in effect at the time that the vehicle was originally built ... no real-world testing, it just has to pass NEDC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle

Zero to 50 km/h in 26 seconds. Just TRY accelerating that slowly. It's a challenge!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'm assuming by your location specified as "Long Beach" that you're living in the US, yes? And why would you assume that a "fix" in Europe has been applied using the same emissions standards as in the US? In fact, I'm reasonably certain that they're not. So— save your irritation until the 21st, I'm guessing some people will have plenty to be irritated about then.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
This "fix" may be window dressing on the part of the German government.

Remember, 20% of VW is represented by state ownership of the company. Germany has a huge vested interest in making this scandal go away to preserve the reputation of German auto makers. (read: $$$ is in play here).

CARB/EPA and the US government has no vested interest in making this scandal go away. This is apples and oranges. A European fix means nothing to the US.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...-deep-complicity-of-government-a-1061615.html