2013 JSW. Dpf delete question

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Contemplating going this way with my new wagon. Before spending the time and money I'd like to get some input good or bad. Looking at buzzken but using the stock muffler and Malone 2.0. Looking to get the good or bad of doing this. Please, thanks in advance for the help.
Talon

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
As a general disclaimer federal law says you should not tamper or remove emissions equipment...

That said for off road use and laboratory testing Malone's stage 2 tune with BuzzKen's exhaust system is typically the best bang for the buck. You can also get a diesel catalyst with BuzzKen to limit the raw diesel smell.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Its an awesome combo.
2.5" for max performance 3" for scene points but it soubds SOOOO good.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Contemplating going this way with my new wagon. Before spending the time and money I'd like to get some input good or bad. Looking at buzzken but using the stock muffler and Malone 2.0. Looking to get the good or bad of doing this. Please, thanks in advance for the help.
Talon
Personally................I wouldn't do anything until the dieselgate thing blows over. Then think about spending the time and money. If anything just get the tune and reevaluate stripping off the factory exhaust and making buzzy a little bit richer. Many people think that in order to have a performance tune they need to replace the entire exhaust system.....that is not true.

Talon

TDI
If I plan on keeping it no matter the decisions of the EPA/VW make. Are there any down sides to doing this? I am looking for the fuel economy more than anything but who does not like more HP when it is available?
Talon

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the car will smell like an old diesel. (which you probably are alread familiar with)

if you ditch the EGR, it will take even longer to warm up.

may complicate the resale possibilities.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
I did the Malone/Rawtek 2.5 on the wife's '13 Beetle simply to remedy the inter-cooler icing issue that VW couldn't and it is awesome. This weekend we picked up a another TDI, a '12 Golf and it will get the exact same treatment but I will, like Michaelb said, wait and see what "fix" VW comes up with just so I don't have to do it twice. The thought of reinstalling all the beetle stuff just so they can "fix" it and them rip the "fix" back off again makes me sick to my stomach.

Talon

TDI
I fear the fix will reduce fuel economy and because it is 100% unproven in the real world could lead to untold issues. Another thing to consider is that vw uses this as some kind of Bata test. They can use the fact that they've been forced into doing this and our elected officials will point their fingers elswhere. In the end we, the customers lose. Because the only real downside mentioned is it will take longer to warm up and it will smell like a diesel I think I'll do this. In another week I'll have 36k on it and I'll go get it done. Thanks for the help and opinions that have helped me decide. God bless, Talon

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I find that even with the Buzzken high flow cat, there is still a noticeable diesel smell (that isn't a complaint, btw - just an observation). I don't notice any noise difference.
Fuel consumption is improved and with Stage 2 performance is much improved.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I find that even with the Buzzken high flow cat, there is still a noticeable diesel smell (that isn't a complaint, btw - just an observation). I don't notice any noise difference.
Fuel consumption is improved and with Stage 2 performance is much improved.
I was told it does at least take the edge off the smell. You really gotta warm it up to get it working well too. Which is pretty common of high flow catalysts.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
If I plan on keeping it no matter the decisions of the EPA/VW make. Are there any down sides to doing this? I am looking for the fuel economy more than anything but who does not like more HP when it is available?
Talon
Even if it means that your car has no resale value? That Federal and state authorities require the fix to be done to register your car?

CruzinMomma

TDI
'14 JSW TDI DSG
Even if it means that your car has no resale value? That Federal and state authorities require the fix to be done to register your car?
That's a question for the dieselgate thread.

He can do the fix and then re-strip it all.
Or maybe he lives in a state where it's highly unlikely that the state will bother trying to enforce.