2015 Golf TDI - Should I or shouldn't I?

Talyn

I'm looking at buying a used 2015 TDI SE MT, with all the emissions controversy going on, should I??

Any input is welcome, thanks!

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI and 2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Yeah this is definitely my favorite car that I've ever owned. They are fun cars to drive and you get really good fuel mileage. I average 49-50 mpg. Sometimes with the right wind conditions I can get into low 60's. I really don't care about the scandal as I love this car.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
TALYN, If I were you I'd buy it, as long as it has been serviced with the correct oil and had not been abused (MODDED).
I had a chance to buy a new 2015 before this emissions B.S. Bought a gasser instead now I regret it.
The 1.8T is nice and a 2 door, but nothing like a TDI.
Go for it.

TexKlein

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
It looks like VW may be buying back cars in light of the diesel scandal. If so, the market is either going to. Be flooded with them (if the EPA allows VW to resell) or fairly scarce. I think the news just broke. So time will tell.

BTW I have a 2015 GSW TDI and I really like it. But I'm not sure what I'll do if they offer to buy it back. Assuming that is part of the agreement.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
While I agree with all the posters (I love my car), the latest rumors/news about a deal, this might be more complicated for you.

1. The seller (private party, i'm assuming?) could choose to keep the car to cash in on the settlement, in which case you might be out of luck.

2. If you do buy the car, you'd want to make sure you can receive any compensation that does come out. I'm not sure how that would work with a private sale, since VW has the original buyer on the books.

3. Other implications i'm sure I haven't thought of.

I'm not suggesting any course of action, but just be aware of this new wrinkle. GL

Talyn

Thanks for the comments everyone...

It's a lease return at a dealer. I used to have a 2000 Golf TDI that I just miss since I traded it in, I just hope, their "fix"/solution doesn't take away what I loved about my old car.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Thanks for the comments everyone...

It's a lease return at a dealer. I used to have a 2000 Golf TDI that I just miss since I traded it in, I just hope, their "fix"/solution doesn't take away what I loved about my old car.

If you really want a diesel, then go for it. I just traded in my 2015 GSW TDI 6MT to get the 2016 TSI limited edition with lots of features for very little money. My motivation wasn't emissions related at all but more cause I wanted the LE and apple car play. Also, I like the 1.8t for the kind of driving I do. The TDI really shined at highway speed and averaged 44mpg per fill up for me. Btw, I got a really good trade for my 2015, and it sold in less than 1 week

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I have a 15 golf tdi and I love it! My first tdi and definitely won't be my last. You won't be dissapointed. I average 42 mpg each tank. And on the highway I get 50 mpg!!

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
I've had my 2015 Golf TDI SE for around 1 1/2 years and I love it. It's the best car I've ever owned (It's also the first car I purchased brand new).

I'm going to keep my eye on what VW is planning to do within the next couple months. If the "fix" ruins the MPG then I might have VW buy back my car and get a GTI. Only time will tell.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Is the computer display average far off from the Fuelly Averages?
Depends on your definition of far. People report different values, but so far for the life of my car, the Fuelly values are a little less than 7% lower than my car's computer

Way back in the MPG Impressions thread, I got some people to agree on the dividing line between a "slight" and "significant" difference. :D. So by that number, you could say that the computer average is significantly more optimistic than hand-calculations.

Last edited:

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI and 2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Depends on your definition of far. People report different values, but so far for the life of my car, the Fuelly values are a little less than 7% lower than my car's computer

Way back in the MPG Impressions thread, I got some people to agree on the dividing line between a "slight" and "significant" difference. :D. So by that number, you could say that the computer average is significantly more optimistic than hand-calculations.
Good to know! I gotta check into this whole fuelly thing for myself. The more accurate the better I like it.

nikdfish

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagon SEL
Been using fuelly religiously since the first or second fill up. Computer definately optomistic ... but have no complaints overall.

Nick