Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by highender
I was selling my tdi when the news broke.

I was asking $19500 for an excellent condition VW TDi 2012 with navigation .

But had to settle for $ 14500 when selling it, because many buyers stayed away from the emissions scandal.

I was defrauded of $5000 , plus they did not give me the goodwill package.

How can I ask VW for the amount ?

If you do not get compensated for this, I would begin legal proceedings against the Volkswagen corporation.
And why would he be entitled to anything? He made a decision to sell (a bad one) before he even received the good will package. He is not a registered owner of an affected vehicle. If he had been asking $22,500 would he be entitled to $8k?

I'm afraid this guy lost out by making the decision to sell his vehicle prior to investigating possible compensation, and did so knowingly since he accepted $14,500. He probably thought he was being clever by being an early seller, hoping not everyone had heard about it yet, and now it backfired and he wants his part of the pie.

The smart guy is the one who bought it. He saved $5k in purchase price, got the good will package, and will get the buyback, plus $5k, netting $11k in 9 months. Well played, whoever you are.

I wonder if you buy one now if you are included in the program.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What vehicle would you buy if VW buys back your CR TDI due to dieselgate?

Just curious - what car would y'all buy if VW buys back your CR TDI due to dieselgate?

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Ya, that's why I'm saying that's the worst that could happen. I'd run the risk, personally. Kinda playing with house money at that point. Worst case you miss out on the 5K + deals. Best case you get 2 extra years/whatever warranty is :)
Mine is so far out of warranty it doesn't matter :D
I think it is a question that bears thinking about once we have details. Using an example, if the $5k deal is true...

Car worth $15k pre scandal
Car now worth $12k in insurance company's eyes (just as an example, don't quote me).

So you are risking at least $8k difference towards your next car. But I would wonder if those who find themselves in this situation could still get the $5k because they could definitely show damages due to lost value.

So it could be $17k vs $20k and you are risking $3k? We won't know until details are official but it is certainly something to think about.

durundal

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Candy White/Pure Beige, DSG, panoramic roof, rear side airbags
122k miles on my 2009 and I still haven't done the timing belt, the DSG/fuel/oil service, and I need new tires. Here's hoping I can gimp it along without putting another dollar into it for a few more months while the details get hashed out.

I WANT THIS CAR GONE RIGHT NOW. If they announce anything more concrete/official, I must just go ahead and buy my new car and leave this one sitting in my driveway until it's time to get rid of it. Timing belt going right now would be devastating.
If you have somewhere to park it and can afford to get a new one without using the VW's value as part of the deal, just park it, move on to your next car, and dump it back on VW in July. Not worth dumping parts into or running the risk of it getting totaled just to dump it in a couple months. I haven't noticed any news reports saying if operable condition is going to be a requirement of the buyback but if it is then having the timing belt explode would really suck, and where you're at you've already extracted maximum life out of the belt, fluids and tires, how much risk are you willing to take on for a couple thousand miles more?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I wonder if you buy one now if you are included in the program.
Why do you think the goodwill program was initiated?

Goodwill my ass. Anyone who bought a car AFTER this dropped, will get nothing. The good will program was to certify owners, and milages, condition at the time of scandal drop. Not "good will"

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
So is there a blanket compensation all TDI owners are receiving? Is it contingent on fixing your vehicle? Or if you sell it back, there's a small amount in addition to the FMV? That hearing gave us a whole bunch of nothing.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Most likely at this point an AWD Santa Fe (or Sorento)- main reasons are we have two large dogs, so one row each and we need more trunk space because my mom is in a wheelchair. Her chair takes up the entire trunk of the wagon - makes shopping trips a real pain in the butt. Load chair, load purchases. Next stop: unload purchases, load chair, etc. We also live far off a main road, not well maintained in the winter - AWD will help a lot (yes, with winter tires ;) )

That depends on timing, also. I would look at an updated Tiguan if the timing works out that way and they offer a heck of a deal (incentives).

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I wish I knew the answer to this. Cars that interest me include:

Jeep Wrangler
Subaru Outback
Audi Q5
VW Golf GTI
VW GSW

Any of these would be used, and hopefully under $20k.

My preference is honestly to keep the car I have, as I enjoy it. I do worry about things like HPFP failure or some other expensive repair though. If allowed to keep it, I'd likely do a DPF/EGR delete on it eventually, and other things to make it more mechanically sound. Then just drive it for 10 years or more until I get the itch for something else.

ben

Last edited:

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Depends on the "incentives".

Perhaps a 2016/17 GSW TSi.

With the right amount of incentives and credits, why not? Its a tool. Not an emotional thing. With as being the same price as diesel now, nd low prices for the foreseeable future, a GSW on a deep deep discount would be attractive.

Beyond that - I know of not much that has the room / utility and gets good economy.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I drove a 2016 GTI recently, because a local dealer has huge discounts on them. But I found the engine too noisy (partly it's a soundtrack piped in through the stereo system), and that it had (2) 5th gears. Made for sporty driving. 6th gear wasn't long-legged enough.

So I will probably be looking at a 2016/2017 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI with manual.

durundal

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Candy White/Pure Beige, DSG, panoramic roof, rear side airbags
Just curious - what car would y'all buy if VW buys back your CR TDI due to dieselgate?
Already decided I was done with VW back in October and bought a 2015 Prius and have been pretty happy with it, especially with the discounts since the 2016 version is all new and stuff. Massively better stuck-in-traffic-and-city mileage, and excellent steep-hill performance compared to the DSG. Supposedly the 2016 has a better suspension though I haven't driven one yet.

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Subaru Forester XT.
I need more room for stuff and travelling now that I am retired.
I looked at the Tiguan, but it's not much bigger than my Golf.
Rear cargo area 15cu ft vs 23cu ft vs 34cu ft for Golf, Tiggy, Subie respectively.

This was good timing for me!

yankees25

TDI
'09 JSW TDI
122k miles on my 2009 and I still haven't done the timing belt, the DSG/fuel/oil service, and I need new tires. Here's hoping I can gimp it along without putting another dollar into it for a few more months while the details get hashed out.

I WANT THIS CAR GONE RIGHT NOW. If they announce anything more concrete/official, I must just go ahead and buy my new car and leave this one sitting in my driveway until it's time to get rid of it. Timing belt going right now would be devastating.
Did my 120K service just before dieselgate - sigh. Anyway, the car now needs rear brakes, a fuel filter, and the pano roof refused to shut yesterday (eventually got it to close). I'm with you - the car will see no love for the next 2-3 months until it's gone. My registration is up soon too.

Gael

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
If I have to do the buy back, some sort of 4 door hatchback/wagon with manual transmission (ideally 6 speed). I can't afford a Golf R or Focus RS, so that'd have me leaning towards GTI or Focus ST.. but I'd miss the fuel mileage.

However, I don't plan on putting myself financially worse off by having to make more/longer payments on a car. Depending on if/when a fix is introduced, if it's not overly invasive, I'm leaning towards keeping my car, I love it.

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I knew any possible buyback wouldn't happen until at least the end of June. Why? VW is not addressing the airbag recall until after June 30. And if your lucky enough to have the Passat possibility of a fire recall. They have not set a date for that one, but rest azure it will be past July of this year.

I also find the wording reported around buybacks interesting. You can sell your vehicle back to VW Now that could just be the news outlets version of what was said. The wording "Sell back" is very telling how they are going to value your car. FMV prior to 9/15 might be what they are thinking.

i also find it odd that the only website that had pre-scandal values has been taken off line just days before this announcement. I smell a rat here.

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
I already purchased my replacement vehicle on 3/29/16.
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD fully loaded.

The Golf TDI sits in front of my house on the street unused until VW buys it back. I'm thinking of putting "storage" insurance on it but I would have to surrender my plates. If I do that, I have to park it in the garage and then I can't park my new car in the garage... damn you VW.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
for my 2009, I will be looking at the Passat or maybe a Jetta. Both of the newer version are getting 37-38 MPG, which is why I got a TDI to begin with, mpg..

Heck, I may even go all the way back to a 2004 TDI, if I can find out nice enough with low enough miles.

We just might keep our 13 JSW and get it fixed, not sure on that one yet.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I've preordered a Tesla Model 3, who knows when I'll take delivery.

I've thought about this a lot as it's an opportunity for the wife and I to downsize our car collection. Currently we have a 2007 Porsche Cayman (and that's not going anywhere), 2013 Jetta TDI (title in hand), and a 2006 Prius (also owned outright). VW buys the Jetta, we sell the Prius privately for ~$8k, and buy the missus a car with the proceeds (I'm thinking a used car with CPO or a new car). I suppose it depends to a large degree on which manufacturer provides the best value in the ~$25k price range. Whatever we buy needs to be an efficient & reliable vehicle as she drives 120 miles a day round trip.

There's really nothing in the VW stable that catches my eye at all right now, and besides I have zero faith in VAG. I'll be looking closely at the Korean and Japanese offerings, perhaps Ford too.

Willman67

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
Yes, and articles late yesterday and last night specified models other than JSW, which is NOT considered a sedan. There is a technical fix for the 2.0L TDI. The 3.0 Touregs already have it. Why would a company buy something at a much greater cost than fix it for around $1,500

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I knew any possible buyback wouldn't happen until at least the end of June. Why? VW is not addressing the airbag recall until after June 30. And if your lucky enough to have the Passat possibility of a fire recall. They have not set a date for that one, but rest azure it will be past July of this year.
I also find the wording reported around buybacks interesting. You can sell your vehicle back to VW Now that could just be the news outlets version of what was said. The wording "Sell back" is very telling how they are going to value your car. FMV prior to 9/15 might be what they are thinking.
i also find it odd that the only website that had pre-scandal values has been taken off line just days before this announcement. I smell a rat here.

Not only that but FMV is balls for those of us 2> years into ownership. In Sept. 2015, I'd owned the car 15/16 months. Depreciation is a huge bi.tch that early on.

Jack Diesel

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
Depending on how sweet the buyout & compensation is, I'm thinking about going all out on a Golf R. Only time and $$ will tell though. One can only hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kitarkus

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
That would be a shame. We'd all miss your insightful posts.
This made me laugh. If I responded to all his posts as I'd like...I'd have a lifetime ban. I'm still trying to determine whether it would be worth it....and I'm thinking that yes...it would be worth it.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
If there had been a $1500 fix it would have been done long ago. There is always someone.....

Status
Not open for further replies.