Seat Belt Chime...

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Hello all,

I have a new interesting issue. When wearing seatbelt, I get on occasion the chime and the dash light for not wearing my seat belt.

if I fool around with the fastener it will go away but it does return.

VCDS shows nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

kweisel

TDI
'10 Manual Sedan
Welcome, I too have been afflicted with the impatient ding. The buckle seems a little loose and ive tugged so to be sure it was seated, but I have on occasions routed the seatbelt under the park brake. Dealer said microswitch inside buckle is worn. Just a lovely quote...for $300. I just deal with noise for now. Seat has to come out for replacement and I dont have the tool for the seat bolts; i considered splicing or looping the switch, but of course my electrical diagrams don't match the car...and I'm worried I might fire the tensioner. So for now...

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Welcome, I too have been afflicted with the impatient ding. The buckle seems a little loose and ive tugged so to be sure it was seated, but I have on occasions routed the seatbelt under the park brake. Dealer said microswitch inside buckle is worn. Just a lovely quote...for $300. I just deal with noise for now. Seat has to come out for replacement and I dont have the tool for the seat bolts; i considered splicing or looping the switch, but of course my electrical diagrams don't match the car...and I'm worried I might fire the tensioner. So for now...
microswitch huh. ill find some spare time and pull it apart and see what I find. I don't mind being the pig on this one.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Hello all,

I have a new interesting issue. When wearing seatbelt, I get on occasion the chime and the dash light for not wearing my seat belt.

if I fool around with the fastener it will go away but it does return.

VCDS shows nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Micro-switch in clasp is going/has gone bad. Expensive repair unless under warranty. Happened to me.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I had this problem a few months ago. The switch that tells the computer there is a seat belt inserted is a normally closed switch. Therefore, when you insert a belt, the switch goes to open. If the switch gets faulty, it'll toggle between open and closed and make the light and dinger come on.

Fortunately, because it's normally closed, all you have to do is unplug it from the bottom of the seat, which would make the switch normally open, i.e., seatbelt always inserted :D.

The cable from the seat belt buckle plugs into a harness in the back of the seat bottom. If I remember correctly, there are two wires, one green and one black. I taped the wire to the bottom of the seat after I unplugged it so it didn't dangle down.

Fixing this issue should take all of 60 seconds. You can also use VCDS and change your coding to ignore the issue, but I imagine that would take longer.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
thanks for the tip! im also finding that the buckle end is not an expensive replacement, $80-$100 so if all else fails it doesn't seem too crazy.

kasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat TDI spd manual
fixed my chime

I've had this issue with my 09 and fixed it today. Here's what I did. You need a 10 mm triple square drive to remove the seat rails then disconnect the connector coming from the seat belt attachment, then short out the "male " portion of the plug ( I used an small alligator clip) and it's done ....no light ..no chime. Move the seat full forward and remove the 2 10 mm triple square bolts at the rear, then move the seat full back and do the same with the front ones. Tilt the seat back to uncover all the wires under the seat. The shoulder harness one is closest to the centre console ( I had yellow and blue wires coming out of the covered harness). Using a small flathead screwdriver, pry the connector open and short out the male end. If you disconnected the battery to be safe, you'll get a couple of warning lights on the instrument panel, ( ESP and steering )..they will go out after driving a few yards. Always strap in.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
with VCDS you can just code out the chime for the seat belt and light. Problem solved.

I coded mine out not because the switch was worn but because I wear my seat belt when I damn well feel like it and don't need an irritating chime telling me I need to buckle up. As an aside, I'm pretty diligent about wearing it.

Apparently other countries don't consider there populations to be tards and need to be nannied into wearing their seatbelt.

Last edited: