Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
I have a 2015 golf TDI S with 22K miles. I noticed when I'm going down the interstate about 75 mph the steering sticks. When you make a slight turn on the steering wheel it slightly sticks and then pops back to normal. It seems to happen at higher speeds and when you turn the wheel either direction. Has anyone else felt this or maybe it's a one of a kind issue?
Thanks
Ooo, I've been noticing the same thing on mine lately. I have about 16k on mine. I've been debating whether to bring it to the dealer or just wait for 20k service and have them check it then.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I have a 2015 golf TDI S with 22K miles. I noticed when I'm going down the interstate about 75 mph the steering sticks. When you make a slight turn on the steering wheel it slightly sticks and then pops back to normal. It seems to happen at higher speeds and when you turn the wheel either direction. Has anyone else felt this or maybe it's a one of a kind issue?
Thanks
Ooo, I've been noticing the same thing on mine lately. I have about 16k on mine. I've been debating whether to bring it to the dealer or just wait for 20k service and have them check it then.
This issue has come up with the NMS Passats, though apparently rarely.

A long (and unresolved) NMS sticky steering thread.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
This issue has come up with the NMS Passats, though apparently rarely.

A long (and unresolved) NMS sticky steering thread.
Thank you for posting this Chris. Interesting read although it does not look encouraging. Seems like VW was just insisting that this is "normal" even though the dealer service verified that issue exists. It's looking more and more that buying a VW was a mistake. :cool:

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Thanks

I have 21,XXX miles on mine and this happen after I rotated my tires today. I had gotten a flat on the sidewall on my rear tire about a month ago so I replaced it with a new one and I believe this is happening due to 1 tire having less wear then the other. I may swap the tire around again with a evenly worn one and check to see if the wheel sticks.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Refueling Door Failure

I wanted to add to the list that my refueling door hinge failed at about 3500 miles. Had to wait three weeks for a replacement. The hinge pin is plastic and sheared off.
I also have been asking to dealer to repair the emissions defect. I am doing this to add to my Lemon Law claim. I have asked three time and was rejected three times.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I wanted to add to the list that my refueling door hinge failed at about 3500 miles. Had to wait three weeks for a replacement. The hinge pin is plastic and sheared off.
I also have been asking to dealer to repair the emissions defect. I am doing this to add to my Lemon Law claim. I have asked three time and was rejected three times.
Seems like you want out of the car.....

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Lemon law claims are not rejected when the basis of the claim meets the terms of the law. Maybe you should pause, get a copy of the law in your state, and file when you meet the terms.

The emissions issue is still up in the air and trying use it for exploiting the lemon law is pointless. You're not the only dieselgate defector. They aren't getting thier cars lemon lawed either. Don't you think they would if they could.

Last edited:

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
My wife's car needed a new heater core - the symptom was no heat. It took over a week for them to fix it as well - a seal kit was needed that apparently needed to come from Germany as there were none in the U.S (the snowstorm didn't make it easier).

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
My wife's car needed a new heater core - the symptom was no heat. It took over a week for them to fix it as well - a seal kit was needed that apparently needed to come from Germany as there were none in the U.S (the snowstorm didn't make it easier).
What was wrong with the heater core?

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
What was wrong with the heater core?
I don't really know with certainty, since I wasn't talking directly to the service advisor. The symptom was that there was no heat, but it would be intermittent. Some days it would be stone cold - other days it was normal.

The first thing they did was try and bleed air from the thing, but that didn't do the trick and we had to take it back. I don't know why they thought the core itself was at fault, but that's the conclusion they came to.

My own guess would have been the valve that controls how much fluid goes through the core - if that is an integral part of the core, then I guess replacing the core was the most sensible thing to do.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Actually in my state, WV. the Lemon law covers defects AND loss of value. Both of which would be within the parameters of Dieselgate.

oerbilgin

TDI
2015 Golf S
Summary of all issues up to 16k miles

Hey all, thought I'd chime in too with my experiences. All my issues happened before 10k service, but there were quite a few, making me a little uncomfortable as this was my first new car... but thankfully no issues since. Currently at 16k

1) Very loud hissing noise when the turbo was supposed to be working (going up a hill, etc). Described to dealer over the phone, said it was normal... yeah right. Made an appointment but within a few days the glow plug light started flashing. Took it in immediately, was a loose turbo hose that hadn't been tightened at the factory and popped off ... whoops.
2) fuel door lock wasn't locking, had to be replaced. Dealer mentioned that they have had many cars come in where the lock wasn't UNlocking... so I guess watch out for that (all models)? ++ fill up when you're at half tank I guess...
3) A/C compressor faulty - symptom was intermittent cold air (luckily I'm in CA so didn't end up melting in my car). Had to be replaced. Dealer said they'd seen this in a few of the newer cars. I guess the A/C vendor doesn't have great quality control...
4) LED tail light warning (this was around 6k miles!), but visual inspection showed that all the lights were lighting up. Just waited for my 10k service for that one, and they replaced the light and haven't had an issue since.
5) pretty loud noise when backing up in the morning, goes away after driving a bit and the overnight crud on the brakes wears off (light rust overnight, every night, in foggy SF). Not sure why the brakes would be activated while backing up. I've gathered this is "normal" for newer VWs, just wish it wasn't :(

This one's not really an issue but just plain annoying, maybe useful to others
6) ~15k, got the AdBlue warning. I guess they didn't top it off at my 10k service... chums... Went to Home Depot and bought a $12 2.5gal jug of BlueDef and just did it myself. Was really easy and just used the hose included with the jug - no need to get the OEM jugs with the special tips or anything.

I really hope the rest of the "loose bolts" as it were will make their presence known before 36k!!!

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Rear window defog/frost not functioning. Due for 15,000km service next week, so hopefully it can be repaired. My fingers are crossed that it is just a blown fuse. Although my check of the fuses did not show anything.

FiveLugNut

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S
Thanks
Could be a bearing that sits on top of the strutt

fyi
rich

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
Leak coming in the rear window. I'm guessing it's from the wiper arm, as a drip of water will run down the window when the hatch is open. It's already been to the dealer once to get fixed, and looks like they didn't, so I'm going back.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Over the last several weeks I have noticed I muted popping sound coming from the steering column/suspension when turning the steering wheel, especially when not moving. Car is lowered with VWR springs and on 18" Durbans.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
'15 Golf TDI Passenger side air vent discoloration. Dealer has replacement on order.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Auto up and down on the drivers front window intermittently works.
Same, resetting basic adaptation settings in VCDS will fix this temporarily. Others have said that replacing the window motor for the driver's door is the permanent fix, but I have yet to do so or have the dealer do it under warranty.