Rothenbacher strikes again (emergency)

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
You can't screw up a pipe, right?

Hard metal fuel line for #3 snapped. We're on the side of the road. Anyone have an injection pump hard line in east Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Junction?

Last edited:

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
Took an Uber to get a rental car to head home to grab one from my stash. Then we'll head back and replace it.

This is the one part on this vehicle that I cheaped out on and it failed. Do not buy from Prothe. This guy now has a ruined family trip to the lake on his long list of disrupted events and destroyed days. Even his innocuous parts will find a way to fail.

They are doomed

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Wow. People actually still buy from that guy? I havnt been around much and don't know much about these cars. Parts. Or suppliers. I do know one thing though and it's not to ever buy a single part from prothe. I heard even his washers cause problems. What a joke. He needs a good smack upside the head.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
damn, I knew better and still bought a set of those. I figured "what can go wrong?". They are so shiny and look nice on an overhauled engine...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Even his innocuous parts will find a way to fail.

Actually it turns out there's a ton of engineering and metallurgy required for those specific lines... they are subject to very hi pressures and also severe vibration, and when you read the original papers VW published as they designed the original 1.5l IDI diesel it took them a lot of thought to get those lines right... fractures were common early on.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You can't screw up a pipe, right?

Hard metal fuel line for #3 snapped. We're on the side of the road. Anyone have an injection pump hard line in east Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Junction?
We can't say it enough. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS GUY!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Not sure if I'd mentioned it before or not, but maybe the TDI community could buy-off Prothe to get him to go out of the business? Seems that it would be cheaper and save a LOT of people from all the anguish.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I don't know why anyone still buys from that guy. Even when people know he sells crap they still take a chance. I haven't heard of success with this guy on anything and he manages to kill a lot of good cars and/or make things more expensive. Just boycott him. Everything he sells-including the non-car parts.

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
I thought a valve cover gasket, how hard can that be. As it turns out Prothe can even mess that up. It leaked more oil than the old on that came out.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Anything bought from this scumbag perpetuates the business model which harms others.

You buy a cheap non-critical part from him, he stays in business longer and screws others far worse.

Anyone who buys anything from him or his web of ****-vendor sites, knowing his history, is just as bad as he is.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
I've never bought anything from him but I must have clicked a link at some point cuz now every ad is "Hans auto parts". Lots of advertising, no wonder he is still around. D-bag...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've never bought anything from him but I must have clicked a link at some point cuz now every ad is "Hans auto parts". Lots of advertising, no wonder he is still around. D-bag...
Yep. Thanks to the power of internet advertising, he has an endless supply of unsuspecting victims.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Sarcasm >> Are there any known success stories relating to this Vendor in Waxhaw, NC?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sarcasm >> Are there any known success stories relating to this Vendor in Waxhaw, NC?
I haven't seen any glowing reviews. Also, don't be afraid to mention Prothe's name. The more he gets mentioned here, the more likely our negative reviews are to show up on search engines.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM PETE ROTHENBACHER. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.

That ought to help.

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
I bought these back in 2013 after searching around (including posting on here) and not coming up with anything. If I recall correctly the dealer quoted me something like $600 for a special order.

As for the suggestion that people (including me) who have bought from him are as bad as he is: that's absurd. Back in 2013 I assumed "you can't screw up a pipe." I assumed wrong; to suggest a moral parity for an action borne of ignorance versus an action from clarity, or incompetence, or malevolence, or any other possible descriptor of Peter Rothenbacher is dubious at best. That's one transaction I was involved with. I doubt you're suggesting he was involved with a similar number of transactions. Lash out at someone else.

In this case it ruined a family trip to the lake. It was inconvenient and irritating to rent a car to drive a few hours home to get the part, but it wasn't the end of the world. I knew enough not to use his pistons (although the guys at vwdiesel seem to get along fine with them) or timing belts. This post had two purposes— to see if I could find parts locally and to extend a warning about even seemingly innocuous parts to the rational folks who don't mindlessly subscribe to TDIClub dogma.

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
The guys on vwdiesel seem to think Prothe's pistons are fine. They all agree the rings are crap, but recommend the pistons themselves. Personally I think they're either 1) stupidly lucky, 2) rating success with a low bar, or 3) receiving parts that were not actually manufactured to Peter Rothenbacher's specifications, i.e. some OEM-ish supplier that he managed to stock or drop-ship. I suppose in Prothe's world this counts as "success".

That said, I'd totally buy parts from him if I had a reasonable expectation of receiving quality. It's just that with his reputation and my experience I can't see a plausible scenario in which that ends up happening. I don't even buy from Meyle "Germany" any more after their move to China.

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Anything bought from this scumbag perpetuates the business model which harms others.

You buy a cheap non-critical part from him, he stays in business longer and screws others far worse.

Anyone who buys anything from him or his web of ****-vendor sites, knowing his history, is just as bad as he is.
Hear hear, and amen.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory" - Aldo Gucci

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Says the vendor.
I don't sell parts and am not in competition with Prothe in any way, shape or form. Just watched so many folks like you continue to support him and wreck their car, vacations, etc that I know what's up. My "vendor" status has nothing to do with that.

Sad it took this misfortune to convince you of the wisdom of what I said, vendor or not.

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
Fair enough, but you have to admit there are tons of active vendors on this site. I think avoiding "motivated" advice is one of the impetuses behind the "vendor" status.

Furthermore, buying one part from him years ago doesn't exactly equate to "continued support". The twisting of words and protesting too much is exactly what leads to a scepticism of forum dogma. My post is expressly purposed to fill precisely that gap (hence my reference to even "innocuous" parts). Franky I feel more embarrassed about the fact that some on this forum can't resist the opportunity to broadcast their perfection than that I got a part from eBay and it happened to be Prothe. While your quote (which is a favourite of many of the high-priced small businesses I often have as clients) mentions the "sweetness of low price", back here in the real world it's often the sweetness of being able to get to work because the part is simply unavailable for these cars.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
It really is too bad that many people try to build success for themselves with hard work and good intentions and quality work/products and can fail. All this a-hole needs to survive is suppliers of poor quality, inexpensive parts and carpet bomb advertising. Greed motivates both himself, his consumers who want something for nothing and shops who buy his stuff for the better markup margin.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Fair enough, but you have to admit there are tons of active vendors on this site. I think avoiding "motivated" advice is one of the impetuses behind the "vendor" status.
A "vendor" on this site does not mean that they are a vendor of parts. TDIClub "vendors" can be anyone who sells a product or a service related to our cars. You just have to be registered as a vendor here in order to advertise your business here. Some of our "vendors" do sell parts, but many also run service businesses. They might fix cars, they might tint windows, they might test injectors, or they might just sell custom decals and stickers. IOW: most of our club "vendors" are not in competition with Prothe. However, that does not mean that they are not offended by rip-off artists. It is not competition that motivates their advice, it is experience.

Have Fun!

Don

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF

Furthermore, buying one part from him years ago doesn't exactly equate to "continued support". The twisting of words and protesting too much is exactly what leads to a scepticism of forum dogma. My post is expressly purposed to fill precisely that gap (hence my reference to even "innocuous" parts). Franky I feel more embarrassed about the fact that some on this forum can't resist the opportunity to broadcast their perfection than that I got a part from eBay and it happened to be Prothe. While your quote (which is a favourite of many of the high-priced small businesses I often have as clients) mentions the "sweetness of low price", back here in the real world it's often the sweetness of being able to get to work because the part is simply unavailable for these cars.
Dude. You're blowing this out of proportion. No-one is calling you out for a 3 year old mistake. My comments are in reference to others on this site, usually not vendors, who continue to buy non-critical parts from Rothenbacher.

They do this knowing that his critical parts have destroyed countless engines, and those are only the ones we know about due to the owner finding their way here to TDIclub and posting their misfortune.

My guess is you will not likely buy from him ever again, even if he has the cheapest price on something hopefully due to spite over your lost weekend.

Just today I went to search for a door molding for my Passat, and Hans auto parts came up as the cheapest source. I could care less as I will never have anything to do with his sites other than to educate about his scummy business practices.

You learned your lesson - this thread will be yet another to help others learn theirs, hopefully before he has a chance to ruin more engines and weekends.