Question about a scanner or software

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
I recently have had the 200k blues, one error code after another. In an attempt to rectify them I had a fellow reset the codes. He used software on a tablet that was intuitive, allowed reading and reset of the codes also engine vitals. Rather than driving to town nightly I'd like to buy something so I'd like to see if their are any suggestions for something like this. I'd Need it for a 2003 jetta tdi.
Thanks for your help. Talon

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Maybe, maybe not. For just managing OBD2 DTC's, you don't need VCDS. If you have a smartphone You can buy an ELM 327 bluetooth adapter for as low as $14 on Flea-Bay and use it with a playstore app called torque. Free with adds or $9 for the pro no add version.

VCDS is great to have, but most people won't even understand how to use the advanced features it has.

I agree, VCDS is an awesome tool, but if you don't understand how to use it, it is just a pricey toy.

Just clearing codes does not fix anything. When you have a DTC, what you have to do is troubleshoot as to why the ECU set the code. If the problem still exists, the code will just come back if you clear it.

If your friend thought that resetting the codes fixed anything, he does not understand how OBD2 works in the scheme of things.

So many techs will read a code and then just start replacing parts that are named in the text of the code instead of doing any actual troubleshooting. Boneheads.............

As an example, several DTCs (codes) for the electric steering found on MK5 and newer cars might indicate a faulty ground, not that your $2,500 steering rack needs to be replaced just because it is named in the text of the DTC.

Last edited:

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Thanks for the input, we have been replacing parts as the codes come up. Started with low voltage for everything when the alternator quit. After replacement every item that has a dash light had a low voltage error. Reset those codes and the one for blow plug #4 came back, replaced with Bosch started 3 times and the check engine light is back. Changed the rest of the glow plugs light still on. I did not intend to just reset the light, I assumed it would need to be reset after the new part or repair was complete. I do really appreciate your help, more than I can say.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
There are a number of good reasons for buying VCDS. My uses for it are limited— for instance, I'm just finishing up the 40K service, but need something to run the fuel pump and turn off the service warning. But something that has not been mentioned is that VCDS is very resellable as a used item (ask the guy I just bought my HEX-NET VCDS from).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So now it's time to stop replacing parts and do some troubleshooting to find out what is actually wrong. For example, if you have a code for glow plug #4, did you check the resistance of the plug? A scanner won't do much good if you don't follow up with troubleshooting.

The codes won't tell you what needs fixed, they only give you a clue on what to start troubleshooting.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Maybe, maybe not. For just managing OBD2 DTC's, you don't need VCDS. If you have a smartphone You can buy an ELM 327 bluetooth adapter for as low as $14 on Flea-Bay and use it with a playstore app called torque. Free with adds or $9 for the pro no add version
+1 for Torque. Great app. Now they just need to make one for Windows Universal Platform.

However, I do also use my VCDS to check on things that an ODB-II reader can't do.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So now it's time to stop replacing parts and do some troubleshooting to find out what is actually wrong. For example, if you have a code for glow plug #4, did you check the resistance of the plug? A scanner won't do much good if you don't follow up with troubleshooting.

The codes won't tell you what needs fixed, they only give you a clue on what to start troubleshooting.
Again, in case you missed it everyone-