VW US CEO resigns

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Horn seemed to be the only honest person in this mess.

Ru Zu

TDI
none
I watched his entire congressional testimony. Impressive guy in a bad spot. Not that he doesn't know more than he lead on, but that he had US dealers, his employers and technology capability all in a balance. Several articles about his battles regarding the US market in general. Now the US dealers are upset to see him go.

Only one congressional member had an excellent line of questions regarding how the emission break through was and yet not talked up in the company after years of trying. Hard to believe a simple note of, "hey we figured it out", sent the TDIs to market. As good as that line was, they didn't push the point far enough.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
It appears that now that Michael Horn has resigned VW dealers are in a near state of revolt. This isn't just about dieselgate but about getting the proper product mix available ( more SUVs etc), getting the cars distributed to dealers that they can sell, and about doing better product launches. The dealers have spent big bucks on improved stand alone dealerships and the sales have not materialized due to what the dealers see has incompetence in Wolfsburg: http://www.autonews.com/article/20160312/RETAIL/303149945/vw-dealers-demand-stop-the-insanity

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I sure wouldn't want that job. The longer this drags on, the worse it gets.

I would, precisely to avoid what the anti-deisel crowd is successfully doing ....... drag it out and kill it. VW needs to get loud and bypass the goberment folks with their comprehensive solutions. That solution should have included the loyalty money. BTW, it is not a big coincidence that it is ongoing the same time as the shut down hobbyist racing is occurring. Never let a crisis go to waste ....

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I would, precisely to avoid what the anti-deisel crowd is successfully doing ....... drag it out and kill it. VW needs to get loud and bypass the goberment folks with their comprehensive solutions. That solution should have included the loyalty money. BTW, it is not a big coincidence that it is ongoing the same time as the shut down hobbyist racing is occurring. Never let a crisis go to waste ....
It does not appear that VW is in a rush to get to the finish line either. As vocal as VW has been in the media the past couple weeks...if they had a viable solution...I'm sure they would have thrown it out there.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
It does not appear that VW is in a rush to get to the finish line either. As vocal as VW has been in the media the past couple weeks...if they had a viable solution...I'm sure they would have thrown it out there.
The issue is "viable" and that is in the eye of the beholder per my above post. It appears that the regulatory agencies are content to drag it out. VW is caught in a haze of not understanding how to deal with the situation. A piecemeal campaign of VW loyalty and staged proposals will not and has not worked. Movement should never be confused with progress, or in this case noise being confused with a plan .....

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I wonder if part of the reason he quit was the deleting of files and coverup
Perhaps he knows what is coming and wants to scamper early!

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The issue is "viable" and that is in the eye of the beholder per my above post. It appears that the regulatory agencies are content to drag it out. VW is caught in a haze of not understanding how to deal with the situation. A piecemeal campaign of VW loyalty and staged proposals will not and has not worked. Movement should never be confused with progress, or in this case noise being confused with a plan .....
Yup. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just using a Magic 8 Ball to pick decisions/courses of action for them. i.e. "Magic 8 Ball...should I delete information in violation of DOJ orders?" Yes? Ok.