Ever been dipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Driving the family to vacation. Got pulled over and dipped.

It was green.

Asked where I was going. I said I just got done pulling the 5th wheel with the timber jack, and we're on lunch break.

Pissed him off, but I was more upset of the inconvenience.

Anyone else ever had the DOT give headache just because you're driving a tiny car that happens to be a diesel?

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Haven't been dipped since about 2007, back when diesel was close to $5/gal. DOT loved to go to farm auctions and dip all diesel vehicles (mainly pickups); they caught quite a few red handed (pun intended).

SIAI

TDI
Jetta,2015,Silk Blue
What do they do when you have the factory "Misfueling" guard installed and they can't get their tube down the fill pipe to take a dip?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Did you ask him if he had a warrant?
Don't need a warrant to dip the tank here in IL. Registering and having a license constitutes implied consent. You're on the road, you're good to be dipped. It's like the law these days on stop & search when it comes to vehicles. Yeah, they can pretty much search. Whether or not they can use what they find as evidence is another question entirely.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Never been dipped in my car or truck. It does annoy the heck out of me when I get pulled over and they ask where I'm headed. As if that is relevant or any of their business.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
Don't need a warrant to dip the tank here in IL. Registering and having a license constitutes implied consent. You're on the road, you're good to be dipped. It's like the law these days on stop & search when it comes to vehicles. Yeah, they can pretty much search. Whether or not they can use what they find as evidence is another question entirely.

That's like saying youre walking on a public sidewalk or driving on a public street gives them the right to search your person or vehicle. Of course, many facets of the constitution have been suspended for the convenience of the government so who knows. I would tell him specifically he does not have my permission to search and that I want a supervisor on the scene. I don't suppose you have a source for that info?

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I was dipped a few years ago....in a work F-350 plow truck, pulling a triaxle dump....MTO (Ministry of Transport)and MOF (Ministry of Finance) were pulling trucks in for Level 1 and fuel dips.

Problem is the F-350 in question is a 2004 GAS V-10 DRW 4WD....

Passed inspection and the dip...big EFFIN shock :)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Sounds like trucks were checked so far.

Am I the only "car" Thats been checked?

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT

Years ago I was stopped in my 7.3 F250. Passed

Never in any of my MB's diesel cars I owned (3)

Perhaps the will start singling out VW TDI's :eek:
Probably has to do with cheating

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> I don't suppose you have a source for that info?
Criminal law class I am presently enrolled in. The instructor outlined how a series of court decisions since Miranda v. Arizona and related decisions in the 1960's have eroded (in particular vehicles) the 4th Amendment rights discussed here. This was pretty much news to me, too, since I'm kind of still living in Miranda-land where court decisions are concerned. (This does not include real estate a person may own, which is still in a much more protected category.)
As far as telling an officer they don't have your permission to search, please do, and I certainly will if it ever happens to me.....but that's unlikely to prevent a search if the officer decides to exercise their discretion, and you will almost certainly not get a supervisor.
The dicey part for them comes when they stop you for a license plate light and then do a search that isn't authorized by you. Say they find illegal drugs— they can seize the drugs, but the drugs can't be used as evidence, so you're back to a license plate light. The officer may well face disciplinary steps over that, but not an illegal search.
The instructors in my course are criminal defense attorneys, and say that charges in these instances often stem from diarrhea of the mouth. One must obey the orders of an LEO or face separate criminal charges, but "do what they tell you and button your lip" was what we were told— just STFU. Most people start talking out of embarrassment or because they're in a hurry and they just want to get it over with. Big mistake.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW

No you are not alone. Driving a 2003 ALH engine Jetta I was on VA Rt 7 headed to Fairfax Va. Lots of construction going on and dump trucks and the like all over the place. I hit an area that that traffic was very slow and the VA DOT had a checkpoint, a flagger heard the clack-clack of my engine and directed me to the inspection area. The inspector was surprised to dip a car and asked me to show him where the fuel went and was this really a diesel. Got dipped and was on my way.
Jump62
aka Paul

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If they check for the red dye are they also checking for mandated emission systems? Oh wait the cost of emission systems don't go into the coffers, so no.

I'm all for following the law if we all have to follow the law.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Michigan. Almost made the border. Swigged some Redbull and was going try and non stop it to Oklahoma.

*******s ruined it. But I was a bit worked up, couple weeks prior I did top off with some of my buddies red stuff on a return trip. Didn't show up. Whew!

Maybe it's just because the weight limits are on, and it was convenient to broaden the search to other breeds of oil burners...

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
No you are not alone. Driving a 2003 ALH engine Jetta I was on VA Rt 7 headed to Fairfax Va. Lots of construction going on and dump trucks and the like all over the place. I hit an area that that traffic was very slow and the VA DOT had a checkpoint, a flagger heard the clack-clack of my engine and directed me to the inspection area. The inspector was surprised to dip a car and asked me to show him where the fuel went and was this really a diesel. Got dipped and was on my way.
Jump62
aka Paul
Sounds like all theyre looking for is some government funding.

Diesel! It's possible! Point and check. Sometimes the gamble pulls off.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Michigan. Almost made the border.
So, just so I get the whole story straight.

You were initially pulled for speeding?

You must have been pulled over by a diesel bear? [Commercial Vehicle Enforcement] [edit - was it a state cop, I just assumed???]

If so, damn, how fast were you going? [they rarely mess with cars]

I'd bet money my normal trooper buddy has no way to dip a diesel tank, but I could see a CVE having the ability.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So the red un-taxed tank in the back has a set of solenoids, so when they dip the fuel tank it will never be red. Just don't forget and on the round trip get pulled over with the same amount of diesel in the "regular" tank. :)

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm starting to think the whole dipped accusation is a fabrication.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm starting to think the whole dipped accusation is a fabrication.
To help your story understanding, because it apparently is relevant to the title, basically its identical to jumps situation.

Jump62
aka Paul

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Not just have I been dipped multiple times in a passenger car, but I've also been fortunate enough in the course of my business to view and discuss the roadside lab setup that Customs use.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
pardon my ignorance but wth does being dipped mean? I gather they test your fuel but what is it they're looking for? green vs. red what?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, they stick something in your tank to make sure you are not using 'dyed off-road only' fuel.

Does Canada have off-road only fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.