Survey on Dieselgate and TDIClub

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Completed. Thanks for reaching out to us! I am interested in seeing the long term viability of TDIClub continue and improve.
DONE and interested in seeing the results. :cool:

I too am interested in seeing the long term viability of TDIclub continue and improve. TDIclub is where it all started for me back in 2002. I previously was a friend of OPEC driving a Subaru WRX gas guzzler back in 2001 and 2002 and I needed a practical alternative for my logging around 1k miles/week. I also like to drive so downsizing to an penalty box gasoline econobox was not an option. I was also underwhelmed by other gasser choices. In 2002, I was restoring a 40kW generator set inside an old phone company microwave bunker building that a friend of mine bought for his wireless business. The genset was driven by a 2.4L VW 6-cylinder IDI diesel. The engine was modified for vertical operation in the genset cabinet. Long story short, I restored the genset to service and I found TDIclub during my search for information for the genset. I did a lot of reading and educated myself about diesels and VWs while working on the genset. I lurked on TDIclub for a while. The genset restoration project appealed to both the engineer and car enthusiast in me. At this point I was becoming hooked and bit by the diesel bug.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=997524&postcount=52

I previously owned a 2000 VW Golf 2.<slow> gasser prior to my WRX and liked it and was interested in getting a TDI back then. The genset restoration project became the final straw that broke the camel's back and made me get out of the WRX gas guzzler and into my 02 Golf TDI. Then later came an 05 PD JWagen TDI and 10 JSW TDI. I sold the 02 Golf TDI in 2010 with "only" 361k miles on it with many performance mods and still going strong. Now I'm into BMW Advanced Diesel. After 14 years and logging more than 800k miles in diesel vehicles, I don't regret my decision to go diesel one bit. Absolutely no more gassers for me. :cool:

Although I'm now a former TDI owner, I still support TDIclub and its vendors. The TDIclub vendors also sell what I need to maintain my BMW diesels. TDIclub has way more meat on the bones of it compared to many other car enthusiast sites.

Economy - Longevity - Performance....I like adding TORQUE and Efficiency to the list.

Economy - Longevity - Performance - TORQUE - Efficiency

:cool:

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Also want to see the results.

Unrelated, but add a question on "How many TDI diesels have you owned?" that way I can see if I'm crazier than most. :D

n1das

TDI
Also want to see the results.

Unrelated, but add a question on "How many TDI diesels have you owned?" that way I can see if I'm crazier than most. :D
A GREAT question!! :)

For me, 6 diesel vehicles. Not all VW TDIs but diesels nonetheless.

Past diesel vehicles:
02 Golf TDI (heavily modded)
05 PD Jetta Wagen TDI (heavily modded)
10 JSW TDI (lightly modded)
08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty 6.4L PowerStroke (bone stock, CPO used)

Current diesel vehicles:
14 BMW 535d (bone stock)
12 BMW X5 35d (bone stock, CPO used)

Years of diesel vehicle ownership: 14
Total miles logged in diesel vehicles: > 800k miles

Out of all of the diesel vehicles I've previously owned, I wish I had kept the 08 F350 truck. Although it wasn't my daily driver, it was too damn useful and so handy to have. I miss that truck. If I someday add another diesel vehicle to my all-diesel fleet, it probably will be a diesel pickup truck. That market does not appear to be threatened at all by the dieselgate scandal and increased scrutiny by EPA and CARB.

Looking forward to seeing survey results. :)

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Survey done. I know the CR VW TDIs are the ones directly effected by VWs cheating ways, but those of us with older TDIs are taking a hit too. I wonder how bad it will get??? As prices continue to drop on the CR TDIs the older TDIs are falling too, yet we will get no compensation at all.

I am seriously looking at the possibility of getting rid of one of our TDIs and getting a Cruze Diesel or BMW 335d, likely the Cruze as I can still get a low mile car for a good price while the 335d is pretty pricey and repairs will likely kill me...

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
A survey? How about opening the entire emissions section up for a multi topic discussion on the ramifications of what occurred and the future (or more correctly stated, the lack of future) of the tdi, because of what has occurred. Lets go one more step and push to support VW as this might be an important point to help what probably has been written off to having no more hope for the future than the fiero.

The fact that everything is so heavily censored does not help the site or the continued relevance of the tdi. This is a request to get this forum into the game, before the clock runs out on the tdi ....
:D Thank you. I needed a laugh.

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2009 Q7 2010 A3
Done, but I feel us Audi people got left out. Even though same parent company, they are being handled separately, and the image is separate, and I do feel differently about the two companies.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Complete.. It's another one of the sad things about this whole scandal. This site has a wealth of great information and some very knowledgeable members. I too get a little depressed about how this whole scandal will affect this site and others.

I hope this survey helps members and the forum leadership moving forward.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

n1das

TDI
A statistic I'm real interested in seeing is a graph of the number of registered TDIclub forum members over the years since TDIclub first started. I was member #9607 when I registered in 2002. I saw the number of registered forum members slowly climb past 10,000 members in the months since registering and into 2003. I recall the numbers began to climb significantly around 2004-2005 as gasoline prices started climbing and people feeling pain at the pump. During those years I witnessed plenty of diesel envy from gasser drivers at the pumps whenever I fueled up. The trend then took on an exponential type increase after that and surpassed 40,000 registered forum members in only a couple of years. The classic hockey stick curve. I would expect to see a significant uptick starting around 2009-2010 with the arrival of the CR TDIs. I'm also interested in seeing how much of an uptick in forum membership occurred since news of the dieselgate scandal first broke.

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Submitted.

I'm open to future TDIs (if offered), but with the improvement in performance and fuel economy of small-displacement turbo gassers, I am also open to gassers for my next car. Even as I bought my CR TDI in 2010, and knowing I was being somewhat of a guinea pig, the thought in my mind was, "this emissions equipment is getting too complex, and diesels are getting to be less justified." I still like the 500+ mile range of a diesel, but there are fewer advantages these days.

EDIT: A GTI is on my short list. Mostly because of the black headliner and pillar trim -- like the 'cocoon' interior. But not sure if I'd like the sport suspension.

Last edited:

AKTed

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI, 2013 Golf TDI
Took survey. I too am interested in the results; will you post them?
I think that the disrespect that VW demonstrated toward us customers is appalling. My first VW was a 1963 beetle, and I've had plenty over the years, including a Golf TDI and a Touareg TDI....a good customer, and yet...nothing of substance from VW and I suspect that the lawyers will have the upper hand and it will be the old "buyer beware". If so then, no additional VW for me, diesel or gasoline.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Submitted.

I'm open to future TDIs (if offered), but with the improvement in performance and fuel economy of small-displacement turbo gassers, I am also open to gassers for my next car. Even as I bought my CR TDI in 2010, and knowing I was being somewhat of a guinea pig, the thought in my mind was, "this emissions equipment is getting too complex, and diesels are getting to be less justified." I still like the 500+ mile range of a diesel, but there are fewer advantages these days.

EDIT: A GTI is on my short list. Mostly because of the black headliner and pillar trim -- like the 'cocoon' interior. But not sure if I'd like the sport suspension.
My thoughts exactly.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
...add a question on "How many TDI diesels have you owned?" that way I can see if I'm crazier than most. :D
"..than most"? Quite possibly near the far end of that bell curve.
"than all"? Doubtful.
I've owned 13 VW TDI, one VW NA diesel, and one Mitsubishi powered NA diesel lawn tractor.
I don't claim her Golf TDI. That one is completely hers.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
"Giuffra told the court VW may have something more definitive to say in about a month or so, but declined to offer specifics of the talks. He said the Justice Department has asked VW not to discuss any aspect of the negotiations."

Anyone know (or guess) why the DOJ has a gag order?

Status
Not open for further replies.