First Mk4 TDI

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
So, I'm looking into getting a mk4 golf diesel (ALH) for my first diesel car as I'm doing alot of driving. I found one thats cheap and the owner has records dating back to 2006. Everything seems to have been done and on time when needed. Car has 516,xxx kms on it. I know being an ALH and with everything having been documented and done when needed that there shouldn't be any issue. Turbo has been replaced with a VNT17, TBelt and etc.. and also been done on time.

Being such high Km's, I was wondering if there was anything I should look out for anyways. Anything small or whatnot. The body itself doesn't have any rust on it it looks like, very clean. Hoping to grab this car if the input here says I should go for it!

Thanks! :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If it has been properly maintained there should be no issues. Most are not though and I would keep a couple thousand on hand for any issues that pop up. Suspension, brakes, tires. TB, etc...

Not to mention you should be capable of doing at least some of your own work or have an independent mechanic close you trust with experience with these.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
If it has been properly maintained there should be no issues. Most are not though and I would keep a couple thousand on hand for any issues that pop up. Suspension, brakes, tires. TB, etc...

Not to mention you should be capable of doing at least some of your own work or have an independent mechanic close you trust with experience with these.
Doing any of the work isn't a problem. I'm currently working at VW anyways. Just wanted to see if there was anything else I should keep an eye out for. Was hoping to drive the car for atleast a couple months before anything happened.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is nothing different about a high mileage car other than the miles. If it has been kept in good running condition, it is good to go. You may be able to drive it for a year with out touching it. The initial inspection of the car should tell you this. There are lists here and on www.myturbodiesel.com that tell what to look for. VW should also have some inspection checklists for prebuy inspections.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Yeah the owner has records of all the maintenance stuff done to the car since 2006 and it pretty much has everything done on time. Was just wondering if there was any other insight I should have before buying it with that high of mileage.

Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Records are fine for past maintenance checking, but what is the condition today? That is what a prebuy inspection is for. To let you know what condition the car is in right at this moment. Either use the lists I spoke of and do it yourself or have it done. New tires brakes in 2006 doesn't mean much about what condition they are in today. Hopefully it is a manual trans.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
It is a manual luckily. I have found some that weren't and stayed away from them. I got him to send me the records and I found out the head was rebuilt back 4 years ago. I go and see the car tomorrow so hopefully its as clean and good as it looks like in pictures.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
I bet he changed that TB after it broke

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
If you work at VW why don't you get them to inspect it before you buy?? That would be ideal..... then you know for sure what the condition is

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You would trust a VW muckanic?? :D
Aren't we here "VW mechanics?";)

Dealership mechanics, well... (yes, broad brush... I've encountered poor work by other manufacturer's dealerships, so it's not necessarily unique to VW)

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
The body itself doesn't have any rust on it it looks like, very clean.
No rust? Well, it certainly doesn't sound like a VW from Atlantic Canada...lol. Must be prairies or west coast?

Was hoping to drive the car for atleast a couple months before anything happened.
Only a couple months? Your expectations are realistic enough I guess. How much driving do you do? How long do you need the car to last?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
So overall I didn't get the car. The body was in worst shape than explained. He didn't really give me a straight andwer as to why the head was rebuilt. It was rebuilt after a TB job. Car ran fine but there was major things that turned me away like wires were broken and actually burned the insulation under the hood, the engine wasn't running right as you could tell it was 'misfiring' as the way the engine was shaking. I do a lot of driving, at least 800-900kms a week. I have found for now a mk2 jetta N/A Diesel off my buddy for $100. So I'm going to drive that until I find something better.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk