TDIFest 2016 location discussion

cjzender

TDI
2003 jetta TDI 132k/ 2002 jetta 1.8t 85k
Anywhere in indiana, michigan, or ohio. Cost of anything in these areas is reasonable. Michigan has alot of nice camping sites to offer. Its somewhat centraly located geograpgicaly so our friends from canada can get here easily, and summers are not to hot. There are also several lakes close by. Silverlake mich for example is nice. Just a thought.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So I take it car camping is out of the question. :)
I've seen people camping at the previous two Fests, and probably at others, too.

Some hotels get upset about that and others don't care. Campgrounds are always an option, as well.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Anywhere in indiana, michigan, or ohio. Cost of anything in these areas is reasonable. Michigan has alot of nice camping sites to offer. Its somewhat centraly located geograpgicaly so our friends from canada can get here easily, and summers are not to hot. There are also several lakes close by. Silverlake mich for example is nice. Just a thought.
I'm for this idea as well.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I don't want to have anyone think they are being dissuaded from investigating hosting a fest somewhere simply because that state is already crossed of someone else's Colorform Continental US map on the side of their RV.

Having two fests, back-to-back no less, and not just in the same state, but in the same town, weren't a significant concern.

Please, everyone! Ohio, or Ontario, or Oregon. Michigan or Massachusetts or Maine, Don't sit by because "That state's been done." Get together with a group of TDI fans committed to working to putting on the best fest ever regardless and have it where you think you can best do it and put all the prior fests to shame.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I think the reason the two "back-to-back" Maine ones worked was due to the restful 2-year break. Perhaps the Fest should be a biennial event, rather than annual.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I think the reason the two "back-to-back" Maine ones worked was due to the restful 2-year break. Perhaps the Fest should be a biennial event, rather than annual.

When I had my Chevy Colorado the forum I was on started to do that. They had regional gtg's and then did the big fest the next year. That seemed to work out better.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Morgantown, WV?

Specifically the Evansdale section! Don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Lug_Nut

TDI
...unless you happen to live 2500 miles away in the opposite corner of the US.;)
Admission of having a problem is the first step in a recovery process.
I accept that you created your problem by living where you do.
I see two remedies: You move, or have the fest move.
So work on the arrangements for a fest maybe only 25 miles away.

I assure you that 2500 miles isn't enough to dissuade me from driving there, but for a substantial (five digit?) irrevocable donation to Fred's I can be conveniently absent if that's what it takes to get a fest underway in one location or another.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
So work on the arrangements for a fest maybe only 25 miles away.
1) You don't want to be 25 miles from here on Labor day weekend. It is far to hot to be comfortable without air conditioning.
2) I have tried, in several cities, for several years; gathering enough people willing to help has proven to be problematic.

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Another consideration is planning a remote Fest. I have organized three TDIFests that were 500 miles or more from my residence and submitted another bid for Chicago in 2010 that was not accepted. All it takes is familiarity with the location, a couple of site visits during the planning process, and determination and dedication to getting the job done. Local people make life a lot easier, but they are not necessarily a requirement (at least in my opinion).

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
1) You don't want to be 25 miles from here on Labor day weekend. It is far to hot to be comfortable without air conditioning.
It doesn't have to be Labor Day weekend.
It HAS been (except for 2001) but it doesn't have to BE.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Canadians not allowed? "central to everyone" would be in North Dakota, just a few miles from the international border.:rolleyes:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Canadians not allowed? "central to everyone" would be in North Dakota, just a few miles from the international border.:rolleyes:
Is that the population center of NA or the geographical center?

Or the political center?

Or, the chocolately, chewy center?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Instead of distillery tours, we could do frack well tours!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that the population center of NA or the geographical center?

Or the political center?

Or, the chocolately, chewy center?
Geographic center:

The United States Geographical Survey (USGS) states that the geographic center of North America is "6 miles [10 km] west of Balta, Pierce County, North Dakota" at about 48°10′N 100°10′W, about 24 kilometres (15 mi) from Rugby, North Dakota.

Political center: probably Washington, DC or New York City

Chocolately, chewy center: 40.2783° N, 76.6511° W

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wikipedia says population of Balta is 65 People. We could increase that exponentially with a TDIFest. And car camping would probably not only be possible, it may be required.

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
Personally I don't understand why an annual ( or bi ) event with using a consistent central location is not being considered. Overtime the event would grow as it has consistency is timing and location.

I am not saying the event would turn into sturgis but you all get my point.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Personally I don't understand why an annual ( or bi ) event with using a consistent central location is not being considered. Overtime the event would grow as it has consistency is timing and location.

I am not saying the event would turn into sturgis but you all get my point.
An idea, A 2.0 TDI in a Harley, they have done it with v-8's :eek:...Mark I knew somebody had done it already, it's a 1.9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEgDn2lYNs

Last edited:

Tetsu0

TDI
2010 Jetta
What if we have 2 per year. One west coast, one east coast. Perhaps have both towards the northern side of the US so the Canadians don't have to drive so far?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
What if we have 2 per year. One west coast, one east coast. Perhaps have both towards the northern side of the US so the Canadians don't have to drive so far?
LOL! That's quite Humorous....considering they haven't been able to get 6 folks together to do 1!:rolleyes:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Is a great idea, but:

toto366 said:
LOL! That's quite Humorous....considering they haven't been able to get 6 folks together to do 1!
OTOH, maybe two smaller ones would require less effort.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Is a great idea, but:

OTOH, maybe two smaller ones would require less effort.
wont happen......different Generation different People.....not trying to be a Negative Nellie.....however I have attended all FESTS but 2 and have lent my assistance many times.......if it wasn't for a core group of around 10 folks and they know who they are, the Fest probably wouldn't have happen several times and as it was we went back to the same location 2 of 3 years and there was no Fest between those 2 ......and that's a Fact!:rolleyes:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wont happen......different Generation different People.....not trying to be a Negative Nellie.....however I have attended all FESTS but 2 and have lent my assistance many times.......if it wasn't for a core group of around 10 folks and they know who they are, the Fest probably wouldn't have happen several times and as it was we went back to the same location 2 of 3 years and there was no Fest between those 2 ......and that's a Fact!:rolleyes:
Only due to government machinations was the 2014 event canceled at the last minute.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I know it won't happen, I'm just dreaming.

And speaking of dreaming, the local ones that already happen (Bora parts, HO5G, DanG, Lake Stevens, Growler ETC.) could be an opportunity to collect for donations to the site.

Sorry, for all of the other, annual ones that I didn't mention. Those are a few that thought off the top of my head.