Got my Malone Stage 3 done!

cruzer1971

TDI
2010 Jetta
for you guys that went to stage 3.5, besides shaving off the orange nub to get it to fit into the black sensor plug, were there any additional modifications you had to make to that plug or the other one? Seemed that the black one was able to plug right into the orange one with no issues. I am getting a sensor fault and cant figure out why. I have a 2010 Jetta TDI, upgraded to SMF already. I went right up to the Buzzken downpipe, CX170 turbo, and Malone stage 3.5 form stock. I have been working on this thing for about a week now in my garage and am excited to get it out to see what it will do but hate to take it out with this fault.

cruzer1971

TDI
2010 Jetta
CEL light and blinking glow plug. I was texting with Andrew R (who has been great) and he thinks it may be a EGR sensor. before I did the upgrade I hade the CEL and blinking light as well so I am thinking that it just may need to be reset. I did swap the #1 and #2 plugs as well. When I completed the upgrade I had the negative battery connection unplugged. and it is a BuzzKen downpipe!!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I would check to be sure both plugs are fully seated. I had to be delicate with mine because after swapping there wasn't much slack in the wire from one of the sensors. I think I may have modified both plugs.

cruzer1971

TDI
2010 Jetta
thank you. I will check the plugs again for connectivity and finesse them a little more. Yes. I have the black orange/plug combination for both plugs, 1 and 2. When I loaded the 3.5 tune would that have cleared any existing codes, so what I am seeing is real time faults and not anything stored?

I feel like I jacked this thread. I am going to move this to its own.

Last edited:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I remember having to just modify one plug.

Do you access to VCDS to clear trouble codes?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Probably. You shouldn't ever put a car under heavy load in overdrive with low rpms. It puts unnecessary stress on the transmission. Just downshift and motor on.
How does one drive in overdrive without exceeding the speed limit?

I always drive 60mph in high gear, puts me around 2k, maybe a fuzz under. You're stating if a driver needs to give it more throttle, they need to shift? I've never done that in all honesty.

I always floor it without shifting. That's the beauty of a manual.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does one drive in overdrive without exceeding the speed limit?

I always drive 60mph in high gear, puts me around 2k, maybe a fuzz under. You're stating if a driver needs to give it more throttle, they need to shift? I've never done that in all honesty.

I always floor it without shifting. That's the beauty of a manual.

By heavy loads I'm pretty sure he meant towing, climbing a steep grade, fast passes etc. I always thought the beauty of a manual was being able to shift. The gearing in the 09's is nothing like the '10+ . I'm at 74 mph in 6th @ 2k rpm in my car.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Holy ****. Maybe I won't have such a lug issue then.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
thank you. I will check the plugs again for connectivity and finesse them a little more. Yes. I have the black orange/plug combination for both plugs, 1 and 2. When I loaded the 3.5 tune would that have cleared any existing codes, so what I am seeing is real time faults and not anything stored?

I feel like I jacked this thread. I am going to move this to its own.
Doesn't bother me - I've contemplated the "free" upgrade to the 3.5 tune anyways, so the more feedback and experiences from others, the better.

cruzer1971

TDI
2010 Jetta
found that the orange plug needed a little more shaving of the small little nub for it to make a good connection and once I did that everything cleared and I have no faults. I do not have a VAG tool but will probably be ordering one soon just in case. The black plug was able to fit with no modification.

The 3.5 is great so far except my wife does not like the smell of the diesel exhaust now, oh well!! When I get on it I do leave a small smoke trail and the whistle of the turbo is awesome!! I still have the stock muffler and went with the BuzzKen downpipe with resonator.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
We all live in Europe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someplaces in Europe OK!! Germany don't even whisper about changes. Roadside checks are like a vehicle lab and if your VIN doesn't match whats working underneath they will pull your plates until you go back to stock!!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
found that the orange plug needed a little more shaving of the small little nub for it to make a good connection and once I did that everything cleared and I have no faults. I do not have a VAG tool but will probably be ordering one soon just in case. The black plug was able to fit with no modification.

The 3.5 is great so far except my wife does not like the smell of the diesel exhaust now, oh well!! When I get on it I do leave a small smoke trail and the whistle of the turbo is awesome!! I still have the stock muffler and went with the BuzzKen downpipe with resonator.
Doesn't it feel awesome when it accelerates? My smoke trail starts only when I do a hard acceleration between 3-4K RPMs. The smell of diesel exhaust doesn't bother me; I get the same smell from my tiki torches in the summer and burning our trash all year, and almost everyone I know in town has an older diesel truck anyways.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has actually dyno'ed both the 3 and 3.5 tunes and found what the actual differences are (aside from the conservative numbers Malone quotes on their website).

Golf tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Doesn't it feel awesome when it accelerates? My smoke trail starts only when I do a hard acceleration between 3-4K RPMs. The smell of diesel exhaust doesn't bother me; I get the same smell from my tiki torches in the summer and burning our trash all year, and almost everyone I know in town has an older diesel truck anyways.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has actually dyno'ed both the 3 and 3.5 tunes and found what the actual differences are (aside from the conservative numbers Malone quotes on their website).
Stage 3 went 14.7/93 mph,in quarter mile.Stage 3.5 went 14.4/96 mph,with new map sensor injector pump upgrade.Malone has refined my 3.5 map a few times since and it gets better every time.Will be back to the track soon enough.Overall it's running amazing and fuel economy is great as well.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i thought stage 3 was awesome....and then i went 3.5 for my car it was a huge jump, it actually felt like stock to stage 2 almost. Its extremely nice to have ken personally tune my car....i have had some friendly snorts with some nice actual sports cars with some pretty fun results. This summer will likely be a 2260 build for my car

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Does the car have license plates? does it have a vin?
I suppose that's like asking all the marijuana users in WA and CO if they have driver's licenses and social security numbers.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Stage 3 went 14.7/93 mph,in quarter mile.Stage 3.5 went 14.4/96 mph,with new map sensor injector pump upgrade.Malone has refined my 3.5 map a few times since and it gets better every time.Will be back to the track soon enough.Overall it's running amazing and fuel economy is great as well.

A picture speaks a 1000 words.

It was also 120F +

Thanks to GDM (Les), Mark Malone, and Golf tdi, the driver!

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/sqc146/petes tdi trohpie_zps8wtdy0zw.jpg

It was also 120F +

I was there that day... I don't think they could have picked a hotter day to have waterfest. Next year we really need to setup a meeting point since I really wanted to meet up and talk a bit with everyone in the TDI crowd :D
I would have spent more time looking for you guys, but as hot as it was I was really feeling the effects of the heat after a couple hours even though I was under the vender tents for the most part :eek:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice trophy! Did your car run a 15.3 s quarter mile? Those temps couldn't have helped.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
He ran a 14.4/96mph. This is bracket racing.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
14.4- very nice! Maybe with cooler temps and some small tweaks the car could break into the 13's.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I'm not sure about running in the 13's. There are several of us with the same modifications. We've run at night with cooler temps and the the numbers were close with a earlier tune.

I think with a larger turbo's 13's can be achieved. I'm not sure any of us want to go there?
The CR170's has been a great daily drivers and getting almost 50 mpg driving to the track. With great reliability.

.4 seconds is a lot to shave off the 1/4. Mark Malone has worked long & hard with us.

Last edited:

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I was there that day... I don't think they could have picked a hotter day to have waterfest. Next year we really need to setup a meeting point since I really wanted to meet up and talk a bit with everyone in the TDI crowd :D
I would have spent more time looking for you guys, but as hot as it was I was really feeling the effects of the heat after a couple hours even though I was under the vender tents for the most part :eek:

ATR this year will meet at the same location. PM me before the meet and I'll give you my number and all the details. We would all like to chat and build our group. This a big part of improving our TDI's!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bet 13's are achievable with the cr170. It might just take the right conditions coupled with the right driver in a lightened car. Some lightweight rims come to mind.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I bet 13's are achievable with the cr170. It might just take the right conditions coupled with the right driver in a lightened car. Some lightweight rims come to mind.
Maybe, best I've done in my stage 3.5 was 14.3 @ 98mph. The 60' time wasn't good though, I think it was in the 2.5s range (this was several months ago, don't have the time slip). Getting the launch right was difficult, lots of wheelspin off the line. This was at night where heat was not an issue. I had removed the spare tire and toolkit, no other weight reduction though.

That was the first and only time I've been to a drag strip so I'm by no means a good driver. A better driver who could really nail the launch (maybe with the help of some slicks) might be able to get into the high 13s.

In my opinion, getting low-mid 14s in a car like this is fine. A decade ago that's what cars with V8s were doing from the factory and they certainly couldn't get anywhere near 50mpg.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Absolutely. Any car that can do 14's is a fast car in my book.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

It was also 120F +

[/quote]

It gets that hot in NY? Congrats btw. Nice looking car. Just don't take pictures that show your VIN or license plate, otherwise KERMA might get upset.