How many miles are you getting on brakes and rotars

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
bringing this back to alive... my JSW TDI still is on its original pads and rotors at 196k miles, yep brake fluids too. Stealership said it still looks good, will flush brake fluids to be safe before going on the long road to the left coast.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
bringing this back to alive... my JSW TDI still is on its original pads and rotors at 196k miles, yep brake fluids too. Stealership said it still looks good, will flush brake fluids to be safe before going on the long road to the left coast.
Sounds like you have 4 year old brake fluid. Yet another reason to avoid the dealer service department!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
You seem to have a service department that should reread the maintenance schedule... The brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years at a minimum per VW's service recommendations:

"Brake fluid and clutch unit: Change fluid (Every 3 years regardless of
mileage and every 2 years after)"

Better yet, run away from that dealership (or at the very least request a different tech). You can't tell from the color of the fluid when it should be changed. It could be clear, yet still have lots of water in it.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok will take care of it asap somewhere else. Thanks. Anyone else chime in for original brakes mileage?

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
106,000 original pads and rotors. Flushed at 50,000 (2yrs)

Donald

Fred N Tampa

TDI
10' JSW
Mine '10 JSW DSG is at 167K miles and was told at service 2K ago I still had at least 50%. I expect they are going to last a long time since the HPFP just blew.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I am at 115,xxx and the rears HAVE to be replaced. The fronts are still okay, but the inner rear pads are shot.
I am going to do the fronts with the rears just because they are getting close and I might as well not have to worry about them for another 100,000 miles.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh! Is yours covered under warranty?
Mine '10 JSW DSG is at 167K miles and was told at service 2K ago I still had at least 50%. I expect they are going to last a long time since the HPFP just blew.

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
Approaching 90k miles w/ original brakes / rotors. (I downshift and rev match)

C27JBSM!

TDI
2012 Jetta
110k miles now on the original brakes & they look fantastic. (I attribute it to speed limit driving for the most part combined with simply not sprinting to the next red light... A concept which seems to be difficult to grasp for a majority of the population.)

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Mine is a CPO it now has 62k miles. I did the brakes all around since they were squeaking. We do lots of 3 hour drives for commuting. We bought the car with 14k miles.

When I replaced the front pads, they were obviously the second set of pads for the car, as they weren't OEM, and the rotor bolts were missing. The rotors themselves were falling apart, flaking rust everywhere. The pads were still good, looked like they replaced the pads but kept the old rotors. The rears were squeaking, still a great deal of pad left, but the corrosion seems to have caused premature wear and a gouge in the right rear rotor. I have a total of 1 rotor screw out of 4. Doesn't provide a lot of confidence in the CPO program, huh?

Weird, right? On my 2001 golf, I have over 100k miles on the rears, and they're still fine.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! First owner(s) didnt wait for brakes replacement within 14k miles..... Hard to believe... Unless it was in an accident prior your ownership that may have destroyed brakes hence that cheap replacement you now have are squeaking? And missing bolts... Scary!

Mine is a CPO it now has 62k miles. I did the brakes all around since they were squeaking. We do lots of 3 hour drives for commuting. We bought the car with 14k miles.

When I replaced the front pads, they were obviously the second set of pads for the car, as they weren't OEM, and the rotor bolts were missing. The rotors themselves were falling apart, flaking rust everywhere. The pads were still good, looked like they replaced the pads but kept the old rotors. The rears were squeaking, still a great deal of pad left, but the corrosion seems to have caused premature wear and a gouge in the right rear rotor. I have a total of 1 rotor screw out of 4. Doesn't provide a lot of confidence in the CPO program, huh?

Weird, right? On my 2001 golf, I have over 100k miles on the rears, and they're still fine.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Yeah, I know. There are multiple signs that point to this car having been in an accident. The longer I keep it, the more it bothers me. Once the dust settles, I plan to march the car right back to the dealer, and see if I can get out of it. I'm not sure what recourse I have with a CPO'd car if it's been in an accident, but I'm certainly interested in seeing the look on the dealer's face when I come back with it.
By the way, if anyone's interested in who sold me my CPO car with faulty brakes, it's Piazza VW of Ardmore. Just a heads up.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely good plan... They shouldnt even certify it at all! Few bolts missing would have been fixed and straightened out before being CPO but this can be considered as an fraud..... Better chime in with an new thread here and see what others says about it and see if you could do something legally..... That car gotta go. My best advice is to not buy another car from that place again and tarnish their stealership name for good. But that's just me.

Yeah, I know. There are multiple signs that point to this car having been in an accident. The longer I keep it, the more it bothers me. Once the dust settles, I plan to march the car right back to the dealer, and see if I can get out of it. I'm not sure what recourse I have with a CPO'd car if it's been in an accident, but I'm certainly interested in seeing the look on the dealer's face when I come back with it.
By the way, if anyone's interested in who sold me my CPO car with faulty brakes, it's Piazza VW of Ardmore. Just a heads up.

kszach

TDI
2010 JSW
I have just over 150k on the original brakes... need to take a look at them again as it's been about 15k since I took a look but the last time I was surprised by the amount of pad left, maybe the garage gnomes replaced them while I was sleeping.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
153k km and still on the original pads and I live in the mountains. Just had a brake service last week (should have been waaaaaaay sooner I know) and they're still good to go for some distance yet!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
kszach;4936221[B said:
]I have just over 150k on the original brakes...[/B] need to take a look at them again as it's been about 15k since I took a look but the last time I was surprised by the amount of pad left, maybe the garage gnomes replaced them while I was sleeping.
This impresses me. Mostly highway? How do you do this (well done, señor!!)

ez

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
As of just a couple days ago this is what my pads looked like:
Wow, that's a lot of meat on those pads for 60k. Looks like they may outlive the rotors.:)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Wow, that's a lot of meat on those pads for 60k. Looks like they may outlive the rotors.:)
Indeed!

I actually wonder if the dealership I bought it used from put new pads and rotors on it because I find it hard to believe that this much pad is still there after 60k miles :eek:

Then again many people here say they're going 100k before needing to replace the pads.

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
My lil' polluter does 75% city, 25% highway and is driven by this mad man everyday of its life. Rear pads replaced at ~90K miles. Front pads currently have about 30% left at 108K miles.