Real World MPG with DSG

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I wish i could average 45+ for my car. Trying my best though, just tough to do.
Looking at the averages for our Passats on Fuelly, this will indeed be a difficult goal*, although of course the car is more than capable of that on a given tank or a nice route with lots of downhill, tailwinds, etc. Best tank on our car was 550 miles with a huge load from Central IL to Southeast TN, 47.2 mpg. The average is another matter (see below), which is similar to yours and not that far from the Fuelly average for this car.

*NB: I discount such things as deliberately driving at slow speeds or other "hypermiling" techniques.

PassatTdi13

TDI
14 Passat TDI SEL
I will go no slower than the speed limit and I will Always use my air. Florida is way too hot to not use it. But as long as I get 40+ for the car I'm happy

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
RRTR21 fuelly shows 95% highway miles for 33k miles. That car only sees open road driving for its lifetime. Take that into consideration when comparing yours. I am surprised it isn't higher.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
RRTR21 fuelly shows 95% highway miles for 33k miles. That car only sees open road driving for its lifetime. Take that into consideration when comparing yours. I am surprised it isn't higher.
I don't do anything special. If I did, I could get it higher. I just set it on cruise and go and I always run the speed limit.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I wish Fuelly could be configured to show the top vehicles in each category.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All highway will yield the best result. Those not doing all highway wonder why they can't achieve the same with city driving. It won't happen.

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI

Took my parents 15' Passat TDI on a trip, ~ 1/2 Highway and the other half was short 55mph trips. I might of been able to push the tank and make it all the way home (drove an additional 200 miles after this picture) but still averaged 45.4 miles on it. The car only has 1700 miles on it (now) so its hardly broke in yet!

montyypythonss

TDI
2002 jetta
I owned a 2015 passat se with 6 speed manual for about nine months, after about 30000 miles, i decided to trade it in for a 2015 passat sel with auto. I liked the manual, but was starting to have knee pains, so i decided to go with the auto. I think i was averaging about 54mpg (trip computer), best was around 64 mpg. My dsg is averaging around 50 mpg (per trip computer). I believe these trip computer readings are a couple mpg off to the high side. anyway both cars are excellent to own, but i do love the ease of the dsg. the dsg mpg is more consistent.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I have a '14 Passat w/ DSG that broke 27k miles last week. We had a couple of longer trips across town this past weekend and we were 57mpg (160 miles). I am pretty happy with it and will stop beating up the sales folks about the DSG and my preferences for a manual. I was seriously thinking that after we get a Cross Blue that I would be trading in the '14 Passat for a newer model with a manual, but that won't be happening. It will either be the '14 Passat w/ DSG, newer model w/ DSG... or BMW i3 w/ REx and fast charge option (a very nice car, I will say, now that I have given it a test-drive).

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My average on my last 10 tanks is 42.1 according to fuelly. I don't drive many real highway miles at all. Most of my driving is metropolitan stuff, 35-40mph roads with major intersections every mile.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My average on my last 10 tanks is 42.1 according to fuelly. I don't drive many real highway miles at all. Most of my driving is metropolitan stuff, 35-40mph roads with major intersections every mile.
Interesting. Ours has been driven just about 75-80% highway miles, yet the mpg aren't all that much different. Low '40s seems pretty typical for this car. We could probably do better if we slowed down, most of the time it's just cruise set on 75 mph, but that's not gonna happen.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Interesting. Ours has been driven just about 75-80% highway miles, yet the mpg aren't all that much different. Low '40s seems pretty typical for this car. We could probably do better if we slowed down, most of the time it's just cruise set on 75 mph, but that's not gonna happen.

Returns for MPH are as follows for me (Per the MFD);

75mph = 44mpg
72mph = 47mpg
67mph = 50mpg
65mph = 53mpg

Speed limit here in Southern California is a solid 65mph to work and home for me. I just cruise at 65mph all day long, some days with a good tail wind and high ambient, I've seen 58mpg indicated. Days with a head wind, that'll drop to 50-51. For me it's worth it to go 65 as I commute 750+ miles a week.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Returns for MPH are as follows for me (Per the MFD);
75mph = 44mpg
72mph = 47mpg
67mph = 50mpg
65mph = 53mpg
Speed limit here in Southern California is a solid 65mph to work and home for me. I just cruise at 65mph all day long, some days with a good tail wind and high ambient, I've seen 58mpg indicated. Days with a head wind, that'll drop to 50-51. For me it's worth it to go 65 as I commute 750+ miles a week.
Good info, was this data taken after time at speed or just a snapshot?

I also find that anything over 65 MPH and my MPG tanks. (relatively speaking, of course). ;)

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
Just went on a 300 mile round trip. Got 40-41mpg doing 80mph. Not as great as my 06 Jetta TDI with DSG got, but that car was also tuned which made a big difference.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Good info, was this data taken after time at speed or just a snapshot?
I also find that anything over 65 MPH and my MPG tanks. (relatively speaking, of course). ;)
The quoted MPG returns are MFD average for the same 73~ mile commute in SoCal.

Last edited:

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I find my mileage "will vary" as the EPA states, but except for the first couple tanks and one recently due to major road construction and massive traffic jams, all tanks have been over 40 mpg. Some days I get over 50 mpg going to or from the office, depending on which way the wind is blowing. A headwind really hurts my mileage, as it did in my previous hybrids before my Passat. You can see my fuelly badge below showing my average since day 1 of ownership. Not bad for a non-hybrid with a huge backseat and big trunk!:D

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat

Averaged 49 for the tank. The 57.9mpg was my 73 miles home. The MFD for the entire tank was 51.1, which is 4.8% optimistic. I thought the "Range" reading was hilarious after I filled up. ;)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
100 mile trip home yesterday evening, 65 mph most of the way, saw 50 mpg for the first time....

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Followed up my 49 MPG tank with a 49.1 MPG tank. Diesel is still around a .80 cents under premium in my area.

Audi Guy

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I just got my worse tank ever - 33.6 mpg. I lived 3.5 miles from work and I didn't try to conserve fuel in the least. I also indulged in some aggressive merging onto the 1 mile loop of interstate I drive to work.

timmyc4

TDI
2013 Passat, 2006 Jetta w/Malone, 97 Passat Sedan TDI, 88 Jetta N/A
Well said, and finally someone with some LOGIC !!! Never was there a 30-40% Difference. That's B.S. Yes there was a difference, but maybe 10-20%.

timmyc4

TDI
Thanks for being SOMEONE with some LOGIC ! Well Said.

timmyc4

TDI
My highway mileage is 46-48 at 70 mph with my 2012 TDI SEL DGS and my tank average has never dropped below 40mpg in the 4,000 miles I have driven the Passat. I don't understand the attraction of the 6 mt over the DGS. The Passat is not a sports car that would benefit from the stick tranny. The DGS is a joy to drive and if you feel macho and want to be in control of your gear you can still do it. I can see where someone can't afford the $1,200 or so cost upcharge (no sure what it really is but I think thats what is was for my 2009 JSW TDI). Big deal you have to change the oil every 40k miles, clutches don't last for ever especially is you do a lot of city driving. Buy what you like but I think the DGS is the way to go.
I am about to buy a Passat and am trying to decide between a manual and auto. I was dead set on getting the manual having had mostly manuals in the past. I recently drove the DSG and was VERY impressed. Am I making a huge mistake by going with Automatic? What is the "ACTUAL" mpg with the DSG?
I have ALWAYS been a manual guy.... I never thought I would see the day when I would recommend an automatic.... BUT... Technology has changed the ball game, you simply can't shift as fast as the computer can, you can't process the information stream as fast as that ECU can.... Technology has changed the process for the better. Simply put, the shifting is now computerized !
I've always been one to get a Manual for all the reasons people get them.... increased fuel economy... sportiness.... blah blah blah....

I currently have in diesels....:

85 Ford Ranger 4x4 DIESEL 5 Spd (Yes a Rare one build only 2yrs from the Factory) Manual.... Avg 27 mpg - 2 wd mode
90 Jetta non-turbo 5 Spd Manual.... Avg 35mpg
91 Ford F250 Intertrashinal Diesel 5 Spd Manual.... Avg 17mpg - 2 wd mode
96 Passat 5spd Manual Avg ... avg 42 mpg
2013 Passat DSG... Avg 38mpg
The 2013 Passat TDI is the nicest... smoothest driving car I have ever owned (a manual would only detract from that). Since it's purchase and the fun of driving it.... I would not have a manual in a LUXURY Car. Take both a drive and make your decision on what YOU feel comfortable driving... there is NOT that much difference in fuel economy. Look at the real numbers make your comparison based on FACTS, not emotions too often expressed here. When you see someone saying the difference is 30-40%, PLEASE know that's B.S. With Computers determining shift points for optimum efficiency, you think you could manually, consistently beat a computer? I'm in agreement with others on this site who have said there's probably a 2-3% Difference.
Is that worth splitting hairs in bumper to bumper traffic?

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I just got my worse tank ever - 33.6 mpg. I lived 3.5 miles from work and I didn't try to conserve fuel in the least. I also indulged in some aggressive merging onto the 1 mile loop of interstate I drive to work.

Well done!!:)

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
First tank in the new car. 706 miles, took 16.5 gallons for a tidy 42.78 and I'm POSITIVE the tank wasn't full when I picked up the car considering where the needle is after I just filled it. Went in excess of 2x as far as my prior Malibu Maxx would have gotten me in a whopping 2.8 extra gallons of fuel. I can live with that!

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Interesting thread.
I have 18K on my 2014 Passat with DSG and currently am keeping a steady 40+MPG on the tank average.
On trip MPG, I have gotten as high as 49MPG.
All of these numbers are from the dash.
On actual tank MPG when I fill up (which I track), Mpg will range from 38MPG to 44MPG. Just depends where I am driving.
The lower MPG will be the daily commute with uphill and wind. The upper MPG will be the ones on long road trips.
My first TDI was a 2001 automatic and it was a steady 38 or so.
The tech improvements have been awesome....going to be interesting to see what happens when my ECU gets reflashed so it meets smog!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Interesting thread.
I have 18K on my 2014 Passat with DSG and currently am keeping a steady 40+MPG on the tank average.
On trip MPG, I have gotten as high as 49MPG.
All of these numbers are from the dash.
On actual tank MPG when I fill up (which I track), Mpg will range from 38MPG to 44MPG. Just depends where I am driving.
The lower MPG will be the daily commute with uphill and wind. The upper MPG will be the ones on long road trips.
My first TDI was a 2001 automatic and it was a steady 38 or so.
The tech improvements have been awesome....going to be interesting to see what happens when my ECU gets reflashed so it meets smog!
I have the same car and same amount of miles on it and your mileage is precisely what I get. I track mine on Fuelly also.