Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I bought mine without all of the material facts and there was no way that due diligence on my part was going to find the malware that was flashed into the ecu, I assume that is where the programming took place. I feel cheated, you do not and that is understandable. I would not have bought this car if all of the facts had been disclosed, in fact, in AZ it is illegal to not disclose known problems on a USED CAR, let alone a new car.
The EPA couldn't even find the 'malware', which is not 'malware' since it was intentionally programmed.

You really should learn the meanings to words before you use them. It'd save you from a lot of problems and critical feedback.

So you feel cheated. I feel cheated that my cars have to adhere to some hairbrained emissions testing anyway. Time to move past it.

All the facts as they were known at the time were disclosed. Do you somehow feel that the seller knew and somehow kept this information from you? So either you were ignorant (*look it up before you go spouting off about personal attacks) or they lied. Great, now PROVE either one and tell us again whose problem it is.

Y'all may not think that whiner or sniveler is name calling, but it is. Also. there is no out of pocket cost to the client if a lawyer is willing to take the case on a contingency basis. And yes, 40% is high, but it gives them incentive to collect more. I don't want a profit, I want to be made whole, that is all. If anybody wants to buy my car, the price is what I paid for it and if VW is found liable, they will pay treble damages in AZ. That will make me whole at 60% of the damages awarded. None of this might happen, but it isn't costing me a thing to find out...Mark
It is not name calling, it is a descriptor of your actions. Name calling is directed at you personally, not at your actions.

The only lawyer that will consider what you describe is either ignorant (there's that word again) or desperate. Which one did you choose?

"Made whole"? Please define how you are less than 'whole' now? An inanimate object like a car can take from someone to make them less 'whole"? Who knew. Good luck proving THAT one in court.

And before it comes up, noticing other posts, I DO have skin in the game, since any future testing requirements may affect my current cars and will most certainly affect newer cars I buy in the future. So that whole line of thinking is completely irrational. But then I suppose it goes a long with the train of thought that emissions from a car can make you less of a man (or woman).

Jack-DE

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDI (gone)
Spoke with a VW dealer yesterday. They said they CAN sell 2009-2015 TDI's on the lot. They just can't sell any new 2016's.
Does that make sense?
That's correct. They can sell the 2009-2015 as used cars on the lot. They only cannot sell them as certified. They listed my 2013 Mk6 TDI last week and it was gone in four days.

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
Our DPFs work perfectly, they require NO changes in programming, performance or regenerations. The problem with our car's emissions is how they handle Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). This happens AFTER the DPF and it is unrelated to post combustion fuel injections. There is a NOx storage catalyst (LNT) after the DPF and this is the part that is not doing its job. This is the part of the emissions system that must be altered or replaced. This has absolutely nothing to do with the DPF or its functioning. Our cars have a complex emissions system which you do not fully understand. With the possible exception of the 2009 model year, the fix should be relatively straight forward and it might even improve mileage and/or power - we just do not know and we will not know for months. Relax and learn - it will take some time before we know what will happen.

Have Fun!

Don
I think a more accurate statement is:
- If you have a Passat or a 2015, the fix should be relatively straightforward
- If you have a 2009-2014, the fix will likely be substantially more involved, although mileage and/or power may actually improve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I said dog in the fight, so get your reference straight...Mark PS So malware is not intentionally written and installed?
id·i·om
ˈidēəm/
noun
noun: idiom; plural noun: idioms
a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs, see the light ).

mal·ware
ˈmalwer/
nounComputing

noun: malware; plural noun: malwares

1. software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.

notoveryet

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm wondering that as well. My local dealership won't even take mine on trade...
I finally found a dealership that would take the trade. Super clean 2013 Passat TDI SEL with 40K highway miles = $11,000. KBB trade-in value before the scandal was $21,000. VW really screwed me on this one. The worst experience with an auto brand so far. Hopefully, my last.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Our DPFs work perfectly, they require NO changes in programming, performance or regenerations.
They do work perfectly as designed however, what I don't see being addressed (and I think should) is the high rate of the DPF cracking.

IF the DPF is being over-temped in anyway to reduce NOx or other emissions, I am not going to be a happy camper unless it is addressed as part of the solution.

Almost every day someone is posting a P0401 issue with a gunked up EGR filter from cracking their DPF. Not to mention the higher then normal rate of turbo failures, that I personally believe is from high temps from the whole pollution reduction package.

rick_deckard

TDI
2014 Golf TDI Sun/Nav
I finally found a dealership that would take the trade. Super clean 2013 Passat TDI SEL with 40K highway miles = $11,000. KBB trade-in value before the scandal was $21,000. VW really screwed me on this one. The worst expedience with an auto brand so far. Hopefully, my last.

Sounds about like my situation. Mine was sitting around that mid-August but put off trading it in to buy an engagement ring. I'm just waiting as patiently as possible right now to see what comes of everything.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I finally found a dealership that would take the trade. Super clean 2013 Passat TDI SEL with 40K highway miles = $11,000. KBB trade-in value before the scandal was $21,000. VW really screwed me on this one. The worst experience with an auto brand so far. Hopefully, my last.
VW didn't screw you....the dealership screwed you on the trade.

Donald

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
So you learned that in car deals the money is made on the buy side. You are/appear desperate to sell, so of course you get a low offer. You get a reasonable price when you don't have to sell, same as you get a lower price when you don't have to buy.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Did you get one with the right amount of pedals this time?

I did! And I snapped this off without much trying on my very first drive:

:D

Actually it was closer to 53 MPG, that is not the correct pic. But pretty close. Point is, these cars can get pretty good MPGs. They are geared MUCH taller than the older cars. I keep forgetting it has a 6th gear, LOL.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Find another dealer. Mine offered me $14.5k for a '13 Jetta TDI Premium (manual) with 34k and tires in need of replacement.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Find another dealer. Mine offered me $14.5k for a '13 Jetta TDI Premium (manual) with 34k and tires in need of replacement.
I've shared this a couple of times already but it keeps coming up and I like seeing how other people are doing And, I'm a horrible buyer's remorse kind of guy and still don't have a feel for how I did, at least in the long term.

Four days after dieslegate broke, I got 10k on a 2012 Jetta TDI (regular model) DSG with 83k miles, also needing tires (I had the OEM tires still). This was toward a Mazda 6 MT Touring at below 23k.

They listed the TDI for 12.9k and it was gone within a week.

I should have asked for more, or had them make me the initial offer. I know, dumb.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
VW didn't screw you....the dealership screwed you on the trade.
Donald
No VW screwed him first and the dealer took seconds without lube. VW is definitely at fault and the dealer is too based on your perspective. But to say VW didnt screw all of us is naive .

Carrick1973

TDI
2013 Sportwagen
I've tried to read as much of this thread, but perhaps I've missed a bit. At one point there was a rumour that the Gen1 engine might get swapped out with a Gen3 instead of trying to retrofit the cars with the LNT. Any further news on that?

Since the August update to the computer, I've had more regen's and my biggest worry now is that the associated parts will fail much sooner than they are supposed to. I don't care as much about the money, but I do care about the car bombing out at 100,000 miles due to something associated with this issue and the potential fix. My thought for VW is: Fix the car in whichever way you find is the best solution, but then stand by your decision and provide a comprehensive warranty that will satisfy the consumer. Anything that might possibly be negatively affected by the fix should be covered. This includes the cooling system if additional regens are required; the turbo; the body panels that are affected by any drilling; etc...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
So you learned that in car deals the money is made on the buy side. You are/appear desperate to sell, so of course you get a low offer. You get a reasonable price when you don't have to sell, same as you get a lower price when you don't have to buy.

Yep, truth right there.

A vehicle is only worth what the buyer and seller agree it is.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
The spread between what the dealers are offering and what private sellers are getting has never been wider than it is right now. I'm really considering starting a business.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Any ideas on how VW is going to install the AdBlue Filler-Neck on the EA189s.
From what I hear there will be a big filler port attached to the top of your hood. It will open automatically when the nozzle is inserted.

There will be a DEF monitor in the car with a cell link.

When it comes on as soon as you hit the Interstate a big VW DEF tanker plane will fly overhead and automatically top you off ala midflight jet refueling. You speed up to 100 and it matches your speed, then a refueling boom is lowered until it mates with the port.

It sounds complicated but VW was trying to come up with a way to spill less DEF on your car than the service technicians do.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You traded it so that means you didn't have to sell it. That also means you screwed yourself. You probably got taken on the new car as well. When you sell something in a down market when you don't have to, expect to get taken. Did you even try selling it yourself privately? Evidently not as most people have said theirs was sold within days of putting it on the market at a fair price.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I would like to say I will get in on the lawsuit. I have always wanted a TDI and quite frankly, didnt care if it was clean or not. I do feel volkswagen fraudulantly represented their car (2010 tdi jetta, in my case). I cant imagine people wanting to settle for anything less than a buy back.
I couldn't buy anything I would want more and not have a car payment so why would I want to sell them back my car?

I feel my purchase was made under fradulent circumstances and demand a refund.
It isn't going to happen.

I also feel through my somewhat limited but well read mechanic ability. I did choose volkswagen for its performance and ablity to do so without urea. I also believe. Recal short of gigantic design change, will not function properly with a DPF lacking a urea injection or at at least a seperate diesel injector into the DPF...but not with a extra fuel injection event through my motor causing cylinder wash. I would like to hear more on this point. I can tell tou now my law influence says do not cooperate with any recall event. Do not settle.
Whether any after the fact fix is a good one or not is still indeed a legitimate concern. As long as I can opt out, which I believe I will be able to, I'm good.

Another factor in this decision to not settle for less than buy back...I didnt buy a car to be red flagged by the EPA. I dont care what political beliefs may be involved. Now im stuck with a giant red flag threat at every inspection and as i said before i never cared about the clean part so much. I work in texas where the measure oil spewing into the air by hourly increments. But I'll be dipped if i face extra scrutiny every time i go through an already painful inspection to get back in forth to work...but expected to endure escalated scrutiny because some company lied and cheated their way to a UREA free DPF system to up their ratings....lol. Not me man. Thats why justice exists...sometimes government period...to prevent fraud.
Hopefully you have 10 years to spend getting this through the courts. Dragging cases through the courts is nothing for VW.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Our DPFs work perfectly, they require NO changes in programming, performance or regenerations. The problem with our car's emissions is how they handle Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). This happens AFTER the DPF and it is unrelated to post combustion fuel injections. There is a NOx storage catalyst (LNT) after the DPF and this is the part that is not doing its job. This is the part of the emissions system that must be altered or replaced. This has absolutely nothing to do with the DPF or its functioning. Our cars have a complex emissions system which you do not fully understand. With the possible exception of the 2009 model year, the fix should be relatively straight forward and it might even improve mileage and/or power - we just do not know and we will not know for months. Relax and learn - it will take some time before we know what will happen.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks.........I am reluctant to have anything at all done to my car but since it's operating just as it always has I'll wait and see what the outcome of any recall is before deciding what to do.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
WOW!! I'll bet there are thousands of individuals out there that would been more than happy to pay more than 11K for that car.

I certainly would have.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Time to get a new stove, any "smoke" you see coming out is wasted energy. Look up "gasification" stoves lowest emissions possible. Only thing coming out of my Tarm is condensation.
Thanks a lot for the heads-up on gassification stoves. We heat with wood and have used a Jotul for the last 30 years. I've been looking at various heat pumps and, after a bit of research on wood gassification, am pretty interested in that tech. What stove are you using?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Holy crap. I would have paid you more than that. Why didn't you post it for sale here in the classifieds section? Lots of people would have jumped on that. :(

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
Have been trying to sell my A3 TDI with 63,000 miles on it for 1000 less than the KBB for some time now. This week, two separate buyers brought up the fact that they were denied financing because it was a TDI.

So **** me, right? Can't wait for the dealership gift cards to start rolling in.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Are you kidding me

WOW.....THE SKY IS FALLING....if you would've offered your car for a couple grand more on here someone would've snapped it up...all of this will not mean your car will blow up in a few months/years....unbelievable....Hope I can run into a guy like you when I'm looking for a sportwagen:confused::confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.