TDI
2004 Jetta, 2009 Q7 2010 A3
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Audi Q7
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: ~220k miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Anywhere, Everwhere
Additives: No

Died merging onto interstate, no restart, towed to shop, metal shavings everwhere.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Has anyone seen the results of the VW fuel test?

rewwky

TDI
2013 Golf TDI w/Tech Package
Team,
For HPFP failures occurring outside of the manufacturer's warranty on the 2013-14 models that results in a 7K repair bill from the dealer repair shop, has anyone considered the option of purchasing a brand new EA189 engine (I've priced them around $5K) and doing a complete engine swap? I would think that the labor costs for a complete engine swap would be comparable to the labor costs of the fuel system repair (cost of OEM fuel system parts run around $2,800).

I haven't seen a thread on an EA189 engine swap hence the question to the experts.

For those following my HPFP failure on my 2013 Golf at 80K miles, VWOA has now agreed to cover a portion of the repair. My out of pocket costs would be $3,100 and that would come with a 1 yr/12K mile warranty. I haven't made a final decision and have 30 days to do so. In the interim, I'm looking at all options and weighing them carefully.

Thanks!

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
And now for a completely different...???

Team,
For HPFP failures occurring outside of the manufacturer's warranty on the 2013-14 models that results in a 7K repair bill from the dealer repair shop, has anyone considered the option of purchasing a brand new EA189 engine (I've priced them around $5K) and doing a complete engine swap? I would think that the labor costs for a complete engine swap would be comparable to the labor costs of the fuel system repair (cost of OEM fuel system parts run around $2,800).

I haven't seen a thread on an EA189 engine swap hence the question to the experts.

For those following my HPFP failure on my 2013 Golf at 80K miles, VWOA has now agreed to cover a portion of the repair. My out of pocket costs would be $3,100 and that would come with a 1 yr/12K mile warranty. I haven't made a final decision and have 30 days to do so. In the interim, I'm looking at all options and weighing them carefully.

Thanks!
WoW
Might want to rethink that one.
Off the top of my head you would still have to clean and replace the fuel system with or without a new engine. Don't want to even think of the wear and tear on the car fenders etc. ie more chances of things getting that less than pristine look, bumps scratches etc.

Thinking outside the box can be good.

I don't think you would be making the right decision on doing an engine replacement. (My opinion)

Thinking outside the box on this problem would be approaching a technical school in your area and ask them if they would like to have a teaching tool. You get your car repaired and they get an education.
Could end good or bad the possibilities are endless.
Higher than acceptable risk in my opinion.
If I wanted to protect my investment I would have it professionally repaired.
If I recall the only mistake you made was buying the car. Allot of us did that.
Talk to a lawyer....

rewwky

TDI
2013 Golf TDI w/Tech Package
Thanks Joe,
I have also come across contact info for a NHTSA employee who was involved in the initial HPFP investigation that led to VWOA extending the warranty on the HPFP on the 2009-12 models...I plan to send them a note and make them aware that the same issue is occurring in the 13-14 model years and give them a couple recommendations.

I'm told by VWOA that if I were to pay my portion of the repair and then subsequently if an extended warranty is implemented, that I would be entitled for reimbursement.

Are you saying that the fenders would have to come off as part of a complete engine replacement? As mentioned, I haven't seen any threads that go into a MKVI engine replacement....another COA would be to purchase a totaled Golf TDI (hit it the side or rear) with low miles and do and engine swap...again, just weighing all options and I am also weighing the fact as to whether to keep this car for the long haul (post repair)

Understood that the fuel tank and main fuel lines under the car ould still have to be purged/cleaned.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Remove fenders? Don't know. So not an expert

Are you saying that the fenders would have to come off as part of a complete engine replacement? As mentioned, I haven't seen any threads that go into a MKVI engine replacement....another COA would be to purchase a totaled Golf TDI (hit it the side or rear) with low miles and do and engine swap...again, just weighing all options and I am also weighing the fact as to whether to keep this car for the long haul (post repair)

Understood that the fuel tank and main fuel lines under the car ould still have to be purged/cleaned.

Thanks,
Rob
Anything is more susceptible to damage with an engine swap.
You have to muscle it around.
The less mass you have to move the better.
When we were kids we thought nothing of doing something like that. Now that I am older I do my best to keep our vehicles like they have never been worked on.
We try.:eek:
I just think if the engine is fine you should concentrate on the parts that have failed. They are smaller and easier to manipulate.
You could buy a damaged vehicle that the engine is running and only use the parts that you need. Not the whole engine, but by the time you get done it probably would have been smarter to just buy new parts that are needed. That scenario would probably work for an expert with vehicle repairs (especially TDI's) and they would part the rest of the vehicle out.

Do you have a place to keep the donor car so that strangers can come and go?

Even if you accept the vw offer I would still talk to a lawyer to understand how to keep your options open.
For example you might want to write some kind of message (over riding the fine print in the repair contract) detailing the verbal agreements and expectations you have with paying for a repair that was clearly a design fault.
Rob
You know your own situation and like everything there are cost over runs.
I think the least amount of extra effort required is best.
In my honest opinion;)
(sorry if we are taking this off topic
Rob you might want to start a separate thread and link to it
That way more qualified people might be able to help you)

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Anyone see this article about "sudden deceleration" death case? http://goo.gl/TpUxfU

They don't say anything specifically about HPFP but it sure sounds like it...

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI

jrp086

TDI
2006 jetta 2010 jetta 2012 passat tdi sel
hpfp failure

I just wanted to pass a big THANKS to everyone who shared advice in my ongoing battle with VWOA and getting them to fully cover the HPFP failure...A third email was sent to Mr. Horn and his Ops VP stating more facts and referencing the goodwill gesture link where the media got involved for the TDI owner in Arizona...that third email resulted in a response via phone call to me within 24hrs...final outcome will be next Monday and will determine the way ahead.
can you pm me the link to goodwill gesture as well as contact at VWOA..son's 2010 jetta in shop now be diagnosed but all indicators are pointing to hpfp failure...131000 on the clock so obviously out of warranty...truly a safety issue as he was driving down busy highway when car lost power glow plug light came on then battery light then car quit as he pulled to the shoulder....nostart...

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
...I don't see any mention of HPFP failures, just VW accident rates in general...
Right it is an article talking in general terms about something fishy...why are VW reported deaths way below the average?

Anyone see this article about "sudden deceleration" death case? http://goo.gl/TpUxfU

They don't say anything specifically about HPFP but it sure sounds like it...

Mrrogers1's story doesn't mention a HPFP failure either...
But both stories sure make you go HMMMM....it is up to you, as the reader, to fill in the blanks...
In general hpfp failures don't seem to be newsworthy enough, after all, it only effects about 3% of all the TDI owners.

And that isn't big enough for mainstream media.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Right it is an article talking in general terms about something fishy...why are VW reported deaths way below the average?

Mrrogers1's story doesn't mention a HPFP failure either...
But both stories sure make you go HMMMM....it is up to you, as the reader, to fill in the blanks...
In general hpfp failures don't seem to be newsworthy enough, after all, it only effects about 3% of all the TDI owners.

And that isn't big enough for mainstream media.
There are way too many people "filling in the blanks" on other threads. There are many reasons that could lead to injury accidents beside the hpfp failure. Although, many on here have always maintained that the reason VW hasn't been forced into a recall on the hpfp is no bodies.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, with all the reporting angencies and insurance companies pouring over all the accidents, I don't see how any car company could get away with under reporting. I know my insurance rate for each vehicle is based on the ease of repair after a potential accident and the likelihood of anyone in the car being injured.

Last edited:

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
There are way too many people "filling in the blanks" on other threads. There are many reasons that could lead to injury accidents beside the hpfp failure. Although, many on here have always maintained that the reason VW hasn't been forced into a recall on the hpfp is no bodies.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, with all the reporting angencies and insurance companies pouring over all the accidents, I don't see how any car company could get away with under reporting. I know my insurance rate for each vehicle is based on the ease of repair after a potential accident and the likelihood of anyone in the car being injured.
Well we are all entitled to our opinions and filling the blanks are how things are discovered, sometimes.
We are all allowed an opinion.
I don't see how any manufacturing company can get away with cheating on a number of things but we sure know for a fact, that they do.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Well we are all entitled to our opinions and filling the blanks are how things are discovered, sometimes.
We are all allowed an opinion.
I don't see how any manufacturing company can get away with cheating on a number of things but we sure know for a fact, that they do.
You wouldn't by chance be talking about emissions testing are you? :cool:

kentr6727

TDI
None
Likely HPFP failure

Initial report of my (most likely) HPFP failure.
Happened last night, 10-20-15.

Year: 2009
Build Date: 8/2008 (?)
Make/Model: VW,Jetta TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 170,050
Diesel Fuel Source: PROPEL HPR
Additives: Once in a while
Problem: - have metal flakes on filter and a DTC of P0087. HPFP failed (probably).
Dealer: Dublin VW - Service writter - Anthony

Had flashing GlowPlug indicator on dash shortly before engine shut off.
Bought this car used at approx 60,000 miles in 2011. Have been using Propel DieselHPR (non-biodiesel type fuel) for about 10 months with occasional use of Stanadyne performance or PowerService DieselKleen(silver bottle) additive. It has been over 300 miles since the last fill-up, so I do not expect to find a "bad fuel" issue. But if I do, Propel advertises "Propel fuels are the highest-quality fuels available. Drive with confidence knowing we’ll fix or replace any damage to your engine or fuel system in the unlikely event that our fuel is determined to be the cause of that damage."
more later

++++++++++++ 11-28-15 ++++++++++
- Pick up car later today, Saturday, 11-28-15.
- Was due for oil change/rotate tires ~$95
- They installed intake manifold I bought 2 yrs ago - before Dieselgeek limiter was available.~$350
- I was told I could NOT have the failed HPFP returned to me .. because it has a "core charge".. AFAIK - no such charge for that pump - only parts that get rebuilt/recycled have a core-charge..... another VW cover-up??? why those varmints appear to have a lying streak from the CEO to the sales floor!!!
- Propel didn't want to test the fuel. no other news there.
- The 120K extended warranty on HPFP tells me the engineering and finance guys did failure-analysis and financial calculations and found a "sweet-spot" that limits their exposure to early failures of "defective" parts while keeping majority of failures at distance beyond that. All failures have a distribution - a bell curve - plot the number of failures on Y axis and mileage on X axis.
- It might be a good idea to replace HPFP at or before 120K mileage... like timing belts....

Last edited:

unsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
Just got a call that my fuel test came back and VW is covering the repair. Might get the car back as soon as tomorrow. Crazy.

rncatt1211

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan
Two and a half weeks of waiting, 2 fuel samples, multiple calls to the dealer, to corporate VW and to their regional office and today I get the call that my Jetta is going to be fixed under warranty for free. Fuel samples came back clean. What a relief. And now I can officially trade this car into the dealer that i made a deal with for a 2013 Honda Accord. Goodbye Volkswagen forever. It was fun while it lasted. But I'm done with it

Rustydog

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
2014 VW TDI JSW
Mine gave up at 25k miles last week. Waiting for fuel test report.
Whats the going rate to repair this out of pocket?

UPDATE: 11/20/15
Fuel report came back clean. Dealer repairing under warranty.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Zero, if the fuel comes back clean and you have a VW dealer looking at it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry I was a little snarky Rustydog. IIRC, no one has been declined repairs if the misfuel guard was in place and car was under 120k miles. Keep pushing your dealer for getting it done.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Having just purchased a 2013 Golf TDI back in August, these posts have me a bit worried. Luckily I got the car as a certified used but knowing how a PITA that VWoA can be about repair this has me a bit worried. I'm still in college and commute a lot between school, home, and work which pushed me to get the TDI more than a 2.5L Golf.
I wonder if the owners in Germany have these HPFP issues. Can't imagine diesel would be so popular if it had these many expensive problems with it. but I digress.
Plus, I'm sure with this whole TDI scandal going on that VW will have to make some kind of extended warranty to prevent them from losing even more customers.