Windshield Leaks

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
I don't want to go through another winter in Seattle with a leaky windshield. I posted something awhile ago - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=370561 and just sort of dealt with. Sometimes I just can't park it nose up on an incline...
It sounds like an aftermarket brand windshield doesn't seal as well as the OEM brand, Sekurit (sp?) Is this windshield still made? Taking it to a reputable auto glass shop, will they be able to get the correct one?
Otherwise will I need to go to an auto wrecking yard, or find it used somewhere?
And if anyone in the greater Seattle area has a suggestion for a good installer it would be appreciated.
thanks

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Unfortunately,another member purchased the last new OEM windshield a while back.So,you're either stuck w/ an aftermarket or find a used one at a junkyard.My recommendation is if you do find a used one, have a professional remove it for you.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have an aftermarket and its holding up fine. But I was there during the entire installation, and told him to be liberal with the seal adhesive.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My B3 project has several windshield leaks; both lower corners and a spot directly above the driver.

I located a used original windshield at a JY I go to and about 90% complete pulling the little rip cord I found a chip in the center of it....very annoying. I looked at every one of the 8 eligible cars in the JY five had original windshields and all had imperfections that would worry me. The two cars with replacement windshields only one was in a reasonable condition but the molded edging was messed up.

I'm not all that familiar with what the edging does or whether that's part of a new windshield anyway. Anyone know about the edging or whether a new glass comes with this?

I need to have a windshield from a B4 for my B3 because of the rear view mirror. And I agree with Fordguy, they need to be generous with the urethane sealant, especially in the lower corners. I think preparation is the key with success on these.

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
when mine was installed with an aftermarket windshield, it took them 2 tries to get it to not leak. I had all the interior plastic off at the time and it was very obvious where the water was coming in...on the passenger side right where the luggage rack "trough" meets the windshield.
The installer said there was quite a bit of rust, and he cleaned it out the best he could.
Will a liberal amount of sealant solve the leak problem?
What I understand is the OEM windshield has a "lip" on the edge which the aftermarket does not, I don't know if that would make the leak happen or not.
The OEM windshield I removed because it was so pitted, cracked, and scratched did not leak

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
would anyone know if a corrado g60 windshield fits a b4 passat? I've found one available locally from a car thats being parted out.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
would anyone know if a corrado g60 windshield fits a b4 passat? I've found one available locally from a car thats being parted out.
Nope, will not work, they don't interchange. B3 & B4 fit the same opening.

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, this windshield still leaks.
I'm 99% certain it is coming from the point where the luggage/roof rack/rails intersect with the windshield. I've had the interior trim off in the past and seen the water dripping in at that point. Ive checked all the other suggested places for reasons the floor is wet and as far as I can tell everything is clear or operates as it should.
Looking for some advice I guess. I'm about ready to take the rails off and fill the trough full of some kind of goo to keep the water from getting in there.
Would taking it to a reputable window replacement place and getting the correct windshield reinstalled be a good idea? I was told from the Safelite shop that if theres rust in there (which I expect there is) it would need to go to a body shop.
Is it true there are no more of the correct windshields available?
If it goes to a body shop...is it repairable? without going to extreme measures (if welding is needed)
thanks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you're planning on keeping this car I'd have it removed and reinstalled.

Sekurit is a factory glass supplier so this might be your original glass.

The failure points on these tend to form around junctions between different panels where the surface is somewhat uneven, like at the joint between the central roof panel and the side rails or down at the lower front corners where the cowl structure comes together.

If you can see the ripcord behind the dash at the center then this is likely the original glass.

Steve

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
I know with great certainty that this is not the original glass. That's the problem, a previous owner had a new windshield installed and it started the rust problem. The installer didn't use the rip cord to remove it is my guess

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I know with great certainty that this is not the original glass. That's the problem, a previous owner had a new windshield installed and it started the rust problem. The installer didn't use the rip cord to remove it is my guess
Likely the installer didn't prep or prime the flange properly before installing the new glass. That would explain how the rust issue got started. Sekurit is an OE glass though, I wouldn't be afraid to reuse it. The OE B4 glass I got recently is Sekurit and it was a factory install.

If the glass is good I'd still look at having it removed and reinstalled. I know you can mess around with different types of sealant trying to get the leak to stop but the problem is that it usually just comes back later on.

Some installers are in a big hurry to get done and don't take the time to do it properly, or they skimp on urethane sealant. Comments I've heard for the B3/4 is that they need to be generous with the urethane down around the lower corners because of the curvature of the glass.

Steve

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
My car has the same rust above the windshield and the windshield is not OEM - so it was replaced at some point and the rust started. Since I live in San Diego, it is not much and not a big deal. BUT, I went to the TDIFest in Maine this September and hit some heavy rain after the Fest. Found about an inch of water in the driver side of the interior cabin. Both front and back. No clue where it came from - perhaps the same spot you suspect at the windshield. Passanger footwell had some water from the cabin air filter area, but not a deluge.

Anyway, I do have a factory OEM windshield that is going in the car when it gets repainted. So over the next couple of years I wll see if that is the fix. It should be. Lug_Nut posted about this non OEM glass issue years ago. That and a "proper" installation of the windshield should fix the problem. At least I hope it will.

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
this windshield is not factory original. It is the low budget replacement brand, which I didn't know at the time is a bad choice to replace with.

Can OEM glass be ordered still? I've heard both that it is available and is not. If it is available where can I get it?

And taking it to a reputable installer sounds like the way to go. Any recommendations for my area in Seattle?

thanks

apaustin

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat wagon, 96 B4V, 95 glx v6/96 tdi conversion, 97 b4v
The '97 I'm restoring had major sodden dampness under the carpet. I had the windshield removed and reinstalled. Left it out in the rain and only had a little puddle behind the driver's seat area. Hmmm. Windshield seems to be tight. I plan to do the same to the '95 glx/tdi - seems like there's dampness under the carpet but haven't pulled out the interior to make sure yet. I only drive it when it's dry. What a pain in the neck.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The B3/B4 cars can also leak from the roof where the central roof panel is attached to the side rail sections. There's a tiny channel in there that's originally filled with seam sealer but it can dry out and crack.

I had that problem on my B3V project, finally got it stopped by pulling the black reveal strips and putting a thin layer of silicone on top of the original sealer.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure your sunroof drains are clear and that the drain tubes are still attached at the sunroof assembly.

Steve

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday we had some monsoon weather (nothing like the east coast has had) but I had covered the car as I usually do when its going to rain, just the roof area so the windshield is still exposed and the car pointed up hill. The cover drops over the top edge of the windshield where I think the leak is. After the rain stopped I pulled up the carpet on the drivers side and found water. I pulled the passenger side up too and it was dry. It looked like it was coming from under the foam in the general area behind the fuse panel and clutch area.
I poked around and couldn't see an obvious place water was entering. If it was coming from the windshield it wasn't from the top of it.
I'm going to check today to see if maybe the sunroof drain is disconnected? Anything else cause water to come out in that area behind the clutch?
That trough where the roof rails are attached, that is where the leak is coming in, at least on the passenger side. When I had the windshield replaced and then reinstalled for the 2nd time I took a bunch of that black goo they used and put it in that area the rail meets the windshield. I mentioned earlier I was thinking of removing the rails and making a dam out of some kind of goo inside the trough. I just wasn't looking forward to removing the headliner to do it. Maybe I will be doing it now.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yesterday we had some monsoon weather (nothing like the east coast has had) but I had covered the car as I usually do when its going to rain, just the roof area so the windshield is still exposed and the car pointed up hill. The cover drops over the top edge of the windshield where I think the leak is. After the rain stopped I pulled up the carpet on the drivers side and found water. I pulled the passenger side up too and it was dry. It looked like it was coming from under the foam in the general area behind the fuse panel and clutch area.
I poked around and couldn't see an obvious place water was entering. If it was coming from the windshield it wasn't from the top of it.
I'm going to check today to see if maybe the sunroof drain is disconnected? Anything else cause water to come out in that area behind the clutch?
That trough where the roof rails are attached, that is where the leak is coming in, at least on the passenger side. When I had the windshield replaced and then reinstalled for the 2nd time I took a bunch of that black goo they used and put it in that area the rail meets the windshield. I mentioned earlier I was thinking of removing the rails and making a dam out of some kind of goo inside the trough. I just wasn't looking forward to removing the headliner to do it. Maybe I will be doing it now.
My B3V had numerous leaks. Windshield above driver and passenger lower corner, plus the rain tray was packed full of debris from sitting for eight years so I think water was also flowing up and over the hvac air intake on the passenger side.

Additionally, this is what I found when I pulled the headliner out:

The hose was completely detached from the sunroof drain above the driver. With the roof closed the leak was modest but when it was open it would just pour into the car. I'm sure this was the reason for the rust in the floor in the rear. Needless to say those drain tubes are now all secured with zip ties.

After all of the above were identified I still had water coming in the back and collecting in the quarter panel pocket areas behind the plastic inserts. It was only after I applied the sealant to the area under the roof trim strips that I finally got that stopped.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I just gutted the interior of the sedan since I'm swapping in a black interior TDIDaveNH so gracious gave me from his white sedan that was totalled. I'll be addressing this before it goes back together.

Right side of the windshield frame corner:

Left side corner:

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess my plan of attack should be to remove interior trim, headliner so I can see the perimeter of the window.
Will the dash have to be removed? I'd rather not.
Then have a reputable company remove and install the correct windshield.
I haven't seen anything that confirms/denies that the OE windshield is still available.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The last time I had the windshield replaced in my 99.5 (which i believe is windshield #6 or #7) I sent it to the bodyshop to have all the glue removed, rust bubbles removed, new paint applied, and a new windshield put in.

It didn't cost much (insurance was paying for the windshield) and I'm glad I had it done.

-J

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The rain tray is a common spot for problems especially if it's full of junk. Pretty sure the B3/B4 has seam sealer around the hood release cable where it goes through the rain tray like the Mk3 platform too. Definitely a source of issues.