P3 Cars multi interface gauge

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have one and it works great. It looks like OEM built-in and it does everything it says it does. The only drawback is that it only displays one reading at a time. You can monitor Boost (in psi), EGT, Watertemp, etc one at a time, but you cannot set it up to display more than one reading at a time. The plus side to this is that the numbers are big and easy to read.

I first bought one of these almost 3 years ago and it did not work on our diesels. I tested several beta versions of software for P3Cars and they finally had to completely redesign their control box to speak VW's own native protocol (language). Now it works perfectly. Just make sure that it is setup as a TDI in the configuration. There are several of us here who have these mounted in Mk5 and Mk6 cars.

Have Fun!

Don

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Have had one in my TDI for a couple of months now. Blends in well and works great.

As JSWTDI09 said, drawback is that there is only one display, not like a Scangauge.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
thanks for response.

Did you get it already installed in the vent?
did you get an Analog boost sensor?

theses added on the site add more money to the overall cost, just wanted to see what you did. Since i thought it came with the boost already programed in the vent to the OBD. does it read actual boost you think?
I just want to make sure its actaully reading real boost that im making, and not the sensor going as high as it can and maxing out while its actaully making more. is PSI or BAR? Same with EGT temps, does it seem pretty correct?

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
As far as being correct, it is reading what the computer is putting out - I would assume it must be correct otherwise the car would not run very well if the computer didn't know these values...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for response.

did you get an Analog boost sensor?

theses added on the site add more money to the overall cost, just wanted to see what you did. Since i thought it came with the boost already programed in the vent to the OBD. does it read actual boost you think?
I just want to make sure its actaully reading real boost that im making, and not the sensor going as high as it can and maxing out while its actaully making more. is PSI or BAR? Same with EGT temps, does it seem pretty correct?
I installed mine into an existing vent assy. Here is more info on my installation. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=364533

and here is more info about this P3Cars Digital Interface.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=322019
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362557

Have Fun!

Don

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Don, awesome write up, if i get this gauge ill be looking into your posts. Ive emailed them to double check all the kinks have been worked out and all good for a tdi.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
thanks for response.

did you get an Analog boost sensor? QUOTE]

Got mine already installed in the vent. Installation was a PITA. Not as easy as the video shows. VERY difficult pulling the vent out of the housing.

Did not get the analog boost sensor.

Works with no issues. Even had "TDI" written on the control module.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got mine already installed in the vent. Installation was a PITA. Not as easy as the video shows. VERY difficult pulling the vent out of the housing.

Did not get the analog boost sensor.

Works with no issues. Even had "TDI" written on the control module.
I did not find it to be a PITA to install. My vent came out quite easily. The trick is (in my case, anyway) to use the right tool and I also did not follow the instructions exactly. The instructions call for prying it out from the bottom, but I found it to be easier to pry it out from the left side. This way I could pry with the trim removal tool while also pushing it out from the back through the fuse box access on the end of the dashboard. Mine just popped right out. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe yours was tighter or something.

I did buy the analog boost sensor, but when they finally fixed the OBDII boost readings I never bothered to run the tubing and install it. Therefore I still have the analog boost sensor lying around in my garage, unused.

Have Fun!

Don

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just installed my 2nd P3Cars VIDI in my 2013 Jetta Hybrid!! and previously had one in my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen!!
I love this thing! it displays Info that comes directly from you ECM!! and looks factory Very Simple install!!
They also just came out with one for MKIV Jetta's!! Check them out guys!!

as installed in 2013 Jetta Hybrid!!

Last edited:

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
any one have this with a stage 2 tune? what boost (psi) is it showing?
thinking about pulling the trigger on this gauge this week.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How much vent flow do you lose with one of these?
The display covers about half of the vent, so I would assume that it cuts the flow about in half. That said, there is no reason why the display has to be mounted in the vent. It looks OEM when installed there, but the display could (in theory) be mounted anywhere the wire will reach to - like at the bottom of the instrument panel or somewhere else.

Have Fun!

Don

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It works great, looks great, and it's easy to install. I love mine! Just get it. After getting an idea about the boost, the best thing for me has been monitoring EGT to see the regens.

Here's mine (reading coolant temperature in my driveway)

Tekd85

TDI
mk6 golf
It works great, looks great, and it's easy to install. I love mine! Just get it. After getting an idea about the boost, the best thing for me has been monitoring EGT to see the regens.

Here's mine (reading coolant temperature in my driveway)
Looks nice...I was considering this then I calculated shipping from USA...a lot of money for me...

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Has anyone found somewhere for us Canadian folks to order from and not get killed on the dollar right now?
It's a US company, I think they're in Ohio, so I suspect there is no way around the conversion from the dollar. The only way might be finding one used from someone in Canada, but that's probably not very likely. You could try calling the owner to see if maybe he'd give you a break. He was nice to me one time when I called about swapping for the newer version with white numbers. He was still charging a fee, but it seemed reasonable. Maybe he'd give you a bit of discount to make up for the conversion.