VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
My parents have a 2012 Outback, and it can pull their 2000# A-liner popup trailer, yet still gets 30mpg average during the summer without the trailer. And the current refresh is even nicer inside and out than their 2012. Stiff competition for an AWD Sportwagen.
I'm holding off any move right now until springtime 2016. Praying we get what we want. My youngest kid will get the outback and I'll be behind the wheel of a SW stick shift

workcar

TDI
2003 JSW 5-speed, Custom 2" reciever
I too don't care much re infotainment but many in the market do. I posted up because the addition of adaptive cruise and added/improved safety features does interest me much more and I assume the AWD wagen will see them. Again some write it all off as nanny stuff and feel it serves to further disconnect the driver from the tasks of actually driving the car, others see the value for aging or distracted drivers.

Personally, I am not setting foot in a VW dealer until I can get one with a nice cloth interior in the USA. May mean never purchasing a new VW ever again. May seem odd to many. If I have to resort to having a custom cloth interior installed then it won't be in a TDI, have a BIL who recently purchased a 328d xdrive wagon and is in the process now.

So the market values all sorts of things, I thought the safety software upgrades were worth a mention since the infotainment upgrades were mentioned/posted up. Sorry if it is all too OT.
You are in luck, the 2016 Golf Sport Wagon S models come with cloth seats.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I don't see VWAG bringing a all wheel drive diesel auto here until we hit $4-5 a gal.

Aww WHAT THE HECK??!! Just had a 2015 TDI Beetle come in with AdBlue cap next to the filler neck...AND IRS!!!!! If they can squeeze IRS and AdBlue into a Beetle (yes, I know PQ35) they why the heck not in Golf Wagen?

/rant

Jason
Everything with diesel power from this point forward will have add-blue fluid to pass emissions and to maximize fuel economy programming....

The real block on all wheel drive being coupled to diesel power in an auto is not design issue related to the install of an add-blue tank. But is related to higher emissions produced due to increased engine strain which must be dealt with by programming which robs power and kills fuel economy.....

And that lowered fuel economy compared to what can/is be seen today in gasoline powered epa numbers(true or not) kills the main reason the average driver would look at diesel power here, outside of those of us here who just want diesel power option,,,,,,,,,

I don't see VWAG bringing a all wheel drive diesel auto here unless/until we see a sustained $4-5 a gallon at the pump again....

Jagal

TDI
'11 335D '13 Passat TDI SEL
Everything with diesel power from this point forward will have add-blue fluid to pass emissions and to maximize fuel economy programming....

The real block on all wheel drive being coupled to diesel power in an auto is not design issue related to the install of an add-blue tank. But is related to higher emissions produced due to increased engine strain which must be dealt with by programming which robs power and kills fuel economy.....

And that lowered fuel economy compared to what can/is be seen today in gasoline powered epa numbers(true or not) kills the main reason the average driver would look at diesel power here, outside of those of us here who just want diesel power option,,,,,,,,,

I don't see VWAG bringing a all wheel drive diesel auto here unless/until we see a sustained $4-5 a gallon at the pump again....
4wd diesel suv 33mpg:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-GLK/model-GLK250BT

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI

SUV and autos are not in the same class, emissions or CAFE mpgs.
CAFE requirements are completely different for light pickups and SUVs. And that same SUV gets considerably less mpgs in gasoline configuration compared to that diesel powered. The 10+ mpg gain in the SUV class helps quite a bit to meet class CAFE number targets in law.

But in autos, gasoline powered autos get significantly higher in four wheel drive setup, according to the EPA's current test regime you are only talking about a few mpgs gain in auto class. So they do not require diesel power, yet to meet current in law CAFE targets for the current model year or next....

When we get closer to that 54 mpg CAFE required target that math likely will change requiring a diesel be offered in auto class also. But this will not become an issue for at least another 5 years.......

So I stand by what I said, until or when we get back to $4-5 a gal at the pump before higher CAFE regs take effect requiring it, their is today no real incentive yet to offer an all wheel drive auto with diesel power.....

Jagal

TDI
'11 335D '13 Passat TDI SEL
Actually a passat has a larger CAFE footprint than a glk 250, so you are correct in that they are different, however you are also defeating your own point since the passat is "bigger". CAFE is based on wheelbase X avg track width. CAFE standards are also based on the entire fleet of vehicles, not just one model(although one model can incur a gas guzzler tax).

What auto gets higher MPGs in a 4wd configuration??

fuel prices do not correlate to CAFE regulations, at all.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
CAFE standards are also based on the entire fleet of vehicles, not just one model(although one model can incur a gas guzzler tax).

fuel prices do not correlate to CAFE regulations, at all.
Yes, you are correct to a point. CAFE standards are based on the entire fleet, but light duty trucks, which include SUVs, have a different standard than passenger vehicles.

Fuel prices have nothing to do with CAFE regulations but higher fuel prices will help push more economical vehicles.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I agree with your points rotarykid, and it further enforces the point made earlier, that it comes down to the bean counters. My post was more about blowing off a little frustration because I would be one of those at the front of the line to buy one.

Jason

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
...kills the main reason the average driver would look at diesel power here, outside of those of us here who just want diesel power option,,,,,,,,,
^^^^^

Many of whom are early adopters and efficiency nuts, and as such, have shifted our interest to electric vehicles.

After owning Dodge, GM, Mercedes and VW diesels that I loved - I now view them as clumsy unrefined inefficient toilets on wheels. 100 years ago this must have been how people began thinking about horse drawn carriages.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Many of whom are early adopters and efficiency nuts, and as such, have shifted our interest to electric vehicles.
Except electric vehicles can't do what diesels do. Example: I'm driving up to NH this morning, about a 200 mile round trip. Plus I have some errands to do first, about 30 miles worth. There's only one electric vehicle that could (barely) do that and it costs 3-4 times what a new VW TDI cost.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Except electric vehicles can't do what diesels do. Example: I'm driving up to NH this morning, about a 200 mile round trip. Plus I have some errands to do first, about 30 miles worth. There's only one electric vehicle that could (barely) do that and it costs 3-4 times what a new VW TDI cost.
Unfortunately, as we all know, you can not buy a new VW TDI at any price right now. Rather suspect we will not see any on sale for the rest of 2015. The EPA will have to put together their "on the road tests" to satisfy everyone they have a protocol in place to discover cheaters. May be spring 2016 before we see the TDI back on sale. Really too bad for us, but nobody will be in a hurry to solve VW's self inflicted problem.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
Maybe, just maybe this will cause VW to go out on a limb with new TDI platforms in the US: AWD wagon, EuroVan AWD, etc. or maybe Subaru will release their diesel AWD here.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
That trip would be no problem in a Volt / i3, accept the i3 needs its 2 gallon tank replaced 'ala tempo. The Volt's second version has evolution in things like its exhaust manifold coolant jacket. Fast, hot coolant is what you want, and GM also dialed up the kw of the heater (which heats a smaller coolant loop, to heat the cabin). GM also switched the Volt to run on regular gas, 40 cents cheaper than diesel/premium and a smart move. Its 43 combined gas-only mpg's are right on top of the diesel, neglecting that the first 50+ are on battery. In New England, natural gas dominant electricity nets us some low emissions....but to get back on topic, no AWD.

Audi AWD Q7 PHEV, with Volt sized battery, costs 3 times a TDI as well. I was sure to check that puppy out, at the NYC auto-show. Given it is only VW Group's decision to do so, maybe the goings on will finally hasten its arrival. Actually, I'd almost give odds this will be news in the next few weeks/month.
http://insideevs.com/audi-releases-details-gas-version-q7-e-tron-phev/

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
no, this will make everyone cut back on, or abandon diesel plans
A set back for VW certainly, and with the proliferation of law suits, an extremely expensive mistake. VW may back off diesel in the USA. Heck, VW may need to shrink substantially just to survive.

But not necessarily those manufacturers that have not cheated (presumable, MB and BMW have not). Maybe they'll even look at it as an opportunity.

New entries from Subaru and Toyota? I really doubt it. MAYBE Mazda, but only because they've been trying to get their Sky-D models into the US fleet. They've had that engine featured on the USA website even though it isn't available (!?).

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Maybe, just maybe this will cause VW to go out on a limb with new TDI platforms in the US: AWD wagon, EuroVan AWD, etc. or maybe Subaru will release their diesel AWD here.
You know, I thought that this fiasco would cause VW to cut-&-run the diesel market in the USA (which they have done in the past), but the fact that it also affects most of the VW diesels sold worldwide, if anything, perhaps VW will try to redeem itself by winning back the hearts and minds of its maligned customer base.

I look forward to an expansion of TDI products, bargain prices and even doubling of the car warranty (like they did after the Mexico strikes of '93).

They will have to convince Americans that VW is truly honest, can perform up to EPA standards as advertised, and that their cars can be as reliable as Japanese cars. I know it is a tall order, but the survival of the company is at stake.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
That trip would be no problem in a Volt / i3, accept the i3 needs its 2 gallon tank replaced 'ala tempo. The Volt's second version has evolution in things like its exhaust manifold coolant jacket. Fast, hot coolant is what you want, and GM also dialed up the kw of the heater (which heats a smaller coolant loop, to heat the cabin). GM also switched the Volt to run on regular gas, 40 cents cheaper than diesel/premium and a smart move. Its 43 combined gas-only mpg's are right on top of the diesel, neglecting that the first 50+ are on battery. In New England, natural gas dominant electricity nets us some low emissions....but to get back on topic, no AWD.

Audi AWD Q7 PHEV, with Volt sized battery, costs 3 times a TDI as well. I was sure to check that puppy out, at the NYC auto-show. Given it is only VW Group's decision to do so, maybe the goings on will finally hasten its arrival. Actually, I'd almost give odds this will be news in the next few weeks/month.
Except none of those are pure electrics...

Article in the most recent issue of Consumer Reports discusses 4-wheel and all-wheel drives and their effectiveness.
The last paragraph of that article is something nobody seems to get these days...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

So today I drove out to Western MA. My wagon showed 460 miles on the current tank when I left home. I was going to fill it before I left but figured I'd make it out there and back...maybe. Drove 290 miles, low fuel light came on just as I got close to home, at 750 miles. Not even a Tesla would have made the trip starting with a full charge. And I don't think there's a supercharging station in Shelburne Falls, MA. Also, I wonder what a Volt gets for FE when running for an hour at 85-90 MPH, as I did on the way home?

Diesel still has its place in passenger cars. And it's all I want to drive.

Oh, and I wonder how a Volt or Tesla will drive when (or if) it reaches 311K miles? My wagon is still tight and rattle free. Looks pretty good, too.

Last edited: