Removing TDI on cars trunk....

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Anybody thinking of removing their TDI emblems from their car?
Not exactly cause I am ashamed, but in a real sense...maybe....
Hate to say I am no longer proud to be driving a "clean Diesel"...
kinda hard to brag about 50 MPG when the car did it by cheating the rules....

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Just get an extra badge so you have an extra T and take off the DI and replace it with IT so it spells TIT.

People might be anti TDI but no one could argue against tit.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Honestly most people don't know what it means, even if they bother to look. And since VW has TDI and TSI badges on its new cars, I think it's even less likely they'll notice.

I mentioned VW to a couple of friends yesterday and neither of them had heard anything about it. Same for my daughter, who drives a VW (gasser). Don't con yourself into thinking that most of the world is paying any attention to this.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I removed mine 3 years ago because I didn't want badges on the trunk. I need to get an extra T now! didn't think of that.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Put a little pirate flag decal next to it.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Anybody thinking of removing their TDI emblems from their car?
Absolutely not.

to say I am no longer proud to be driving a "clean Diesel"...
I was never "proud" about emissions. I didn't boast how my car was superior than any other car with respect to pollution. I only talked about it's size, it's fuel efficiency, it's long range, and it's affordable price tag. None of that has changed a bit.

I recall people testing different fuels, testing different additives, testing tunes and the like to increase power, or increase fuel mileage. I heard lots of discussion about hypermiling. I don't recall EVER seeing a specification on emissions, or anybody discussing their pollution output and bragging about how they decreased it by 3%, etc.

hard to brag about 50 MPG when the car did it by cheating the rules....
Well, if they can fix mine by increasing the amount of Adblue, my MPG won't change. Therefore, could still brag as nothing had changed.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
This occurred to me. I park on the street in a neighborhood where the people who throw paint on furs for PETA flourish. Many of them traded their Hondas and Toyotas for TDI Sportwagens, some even manuals. So they are aware. For the moment, my vintage (read: NOT clean diesel) cars are tucked away in a safe place. I have to say that my imagination has flashed the image of a keyed Windsor Blue TDI more than once. Good news is the badges for my Princess wagon are currently on my fridge {{cute story: my 14 year old niece asked why my fridge and car were the same brand :)}}. Bad news: I have a TDIClub/"Yes, it's a diesel" plate frame. Easy enough to replace with the diamond studded frame I have on my Audi Cabriolet.

Lucky for VW that the Pope is in the US!

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Honestly most people don't know what it means, even if they bother to look. And since VW has TDI and TSI badges on its new cars, I think it's even less likely they'll notice.
I mentioned VW to a couple of friends yesterday and neither of them had heard anything about it. Same for my daughter, who drives a VW (gasser). Don't con yourself into thinking that most of the world is paying any attention to this.
Same here IBW most people have no idea what is going on. It did cross my mind though. But in my opinion it has less to do with their image of TDI. Rather this is tainting VWs image. As long as people keep the cars and pass them on to children it will help VW.
What VW needs at a time like this is a humble approach. Their advertising to deal with this situation in the news will be interesting. People's perceptions are sometimes formed with these ads. TV commercials can help restore their business.
I doubt a tiny 2.0s TDI badge will draw much attention.

ramblek

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
2009 TDI Sportwagen Owner

So, VW is no longer selling TDI's and I planned on trading for a new one this month...also found out I cannot trade my ride for any other brand (I have been a VW/Audi loyalist for over 45 years!). Can anyone point me to a site that is talking about options until/if a repair is found?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Options? Drive it, accepting that absolutely nothing has changed that affects how the car performs for you . . .

- Tim

ramblek

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Options?

Baby needs about 5k+ (timing belt, brakes/rotors, sunroof leak into spare tire well, new windshield, tires, rust repair (in spite of inside storage and religious detail)) in work and I had hoped to go new rather than dump more money into her.

So, anyone talking options? I know CA has already begun a class action suit.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
No I am Polluting even more!

Just had Malone 3.5 installed, so there you have it glad to be in a state that doesn't do Emissions Testing and look good polluting and passing the clean cars
lol.....;)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Even in "cheat mode", the TDI is remarkably clean. Compared to the big V8 and I6 diesel inside the huge city trucks, TDI is STILL cleaner. Much less CO2 emission as well!

Quick7

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2011 Golf Wagon Highline
I was never "proud" about emissions. I didn't boast how my car was superior than any other car with respect to pollution. I only talked about it's size, it's fuel efficiency, it's long range, and it's affordable price tag. None of that has changed a bit.

Right on the money.
Don't forget safety and performance.:cool:

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
Just get an extra badge so you have an extra T and take off the DI and replace it with IT so it spells TIT.

People might be anti TDI but no one could argue against tit.
If you paint TIT pink you are doing it for a good cause!

vfrav8r

TDI
2006.5 TDI Special Edition Jetta (A+), 2010 JSW TDI (short lived), 2010 Touareg TDI(C -hard on tires), 2014 Jetta TDI- TDI (little de-cultured)
I've been disappointed with political parties, presidents, bikes and vehicals by Toyota, Honda, Ducati, Ford and now with VW TDI. It's a fallen angel. I want a decal around my TDI badge with flames. Yes red hot flames.

I always wondered why the MPG on the EPA minded window sticker was far better. I don't any more.

Hey Fred please change the blue boarders here to red. Burning love.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I've had diesels since 1983 (off and on). The people I know never thought I bought my 2012 JSW because it was "clean" but because they know I've long liked diesels.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The west coast needs to suceed from the union,we'll all help you with the campaign to make it happen. Must be in the water.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Really, you all need to look at something like a map of "Purple America". It shows quite a divide in how people have voted. To listen to some of you, it sounds like you think that every person on the West coast is an ultra-liberal hipster.

Just you probably think that all of Oregon and Washington are covered in rain for 9 months out of the year.

Blankets are good for sleeping under, but they aren't good for judging others.