Resale value in light of recent events

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
So. In light of the VW emissions debacle, anyone care to weigh in on what the resale value will be for TDIs?

Will it plummet or maybe even increase since no used or new TDI's can be sold through dealers?

I got a 2015 TDI SEL, which I love...Just wondering.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I have same car as you it looks like.

I am more worried about gas mileage getting worse

pillboxhat

TDI
I'm aware of the official discussion about emissions... but this seemed like a fairly specific topic/question and I think warrants a separate thread considering the users of this particular forum.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Well, it could go either way, i guess. Hard to know what the mob mentality will be. Could be general disinterest from most people, but hardcore enthusiasts looking to buy-in during the turmoil. I've seen both opinions on other threads.

If you are serious about selling (assuming you're talking about private sale), you could just list it, and if you don't get any offers you like, don't sell, right?

pillboxhat

TDI
Yeah. Can't hurt to try and see. Car is mint and I DO love it...Just feel a little bummed about this whole thing ...and I usually change cars every couple years anyway. Might be a good time...or not :)

Might grab a used glk250 to replace it.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I have same car as you it looks like.
I am more worried about gas mileage getting worse
You won't have to worry about gas mileage getting any worse since it's INFINITE at all times due to zero gasoline being used. Maybe try DIESEL instead of GAS?? :p Sorry, couldn't resist. :) If new TDIs become unavailable due to recent events, your TDI's value will likely go UP over time. No need to worry. You are one of the lucky ones that have one! :cool: Regardless of what happens as whole story unfolds, take good care of your TDI and hold onto it! :cool:

If I still owned my 2010 JSW TDI (sold it in 2013 at 102k miles) or any CR TDI for that matter, I absolutely would NOT allow the recall to be performed to my car.

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:

Last edited:

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
Too soon to tell. I say wait until the dust settles and see what it all means.

For now, doesn't appear there is any recall. It's a great car. Drive it and enjoy it.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
35MPG city average and 50MPG highway average is just fine with me. I'll drive the wheels off my 2015 Golf TDI.....:D

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I was thinking of selling it if the market is hot for them right now.
I'm keeping my ALH for at least another year, or as long as I can shift.... Maybe I'll get more money in a few years?

Bueller

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL
If TDI's disappear from the market for a year or more resale will definitely go up. Really love my '15 Golf SEL and intend to drive the crap out of it, but should resale rise appreciably I'm never against flipping a car for little to no loss, or perhaps a profit. Looking at it like that I'll be happy either way.

tdi.in.va

TDI
1Z
Resale will go up if new sales cease.

Remember, it was geeks in a research lab that identified this emissions issue - it wasn't customers. There is no symptom that is perceivable by the owner of the car.

If an ECU flash fix is developed, you can bet MPG's will down because of it. A savvy new TDI owner today might want to buy a used ECU from a salvage yard in order to "swap back" after getting their car "upgraded" by the dealer.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Don't forget that if the 2016s never hit the dealers, your Mk7 will be part of a very limited line of cars. That alone will pique the interest of collectors or enthusiasts. In the dealer's eyes, though, it may be worthless.

It's still way too early to know what will happen once this blows over. Personally, I'm part of the camp who thinks the Mk7s will luck out in this debacle due to the UREA system. There's a chance that the "fix" for our cars won't be that drastic. Unless there are some pretty catastrophic changes to my car, I have no intention of getting rid of it. It's still a fantastic machine.

I DO, however, feel that we deserve some form of restitution.

Last edited:

rdtompki

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
Saw a news note about a class action lawsuit in Canada based on owners' loss of resale value. I guess it all depends on how big the a hit mileage takes. I'm very happy with my 2015 GSW DSG, but the mileage is definitely less than the 43 mpg my 2002 JSW Manual TDI gets (and with 360K miles at that). If mileage were to drop into the mid-30's I'd be joining a lawsuit trying at least to recover the difference in cost between diesel and gasser.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have an 09 JSW with 34,000 miles and it's not going anywhere near a dealer for a "fix". I'm in a non test state. If they want to buy me out ,it will have to a very good deal. I'm a happy camper with my JSW.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I kind of wish I'd bought a '15, as a hedge against changes to the newer cars. Not sure how this will play out. Most people we talk to say that TDIs will be back in the US soon, so resale would be unaffected. You could argue that VW now has a diminished reputation which could negatively affect values. Or you could argue that no publicity is bad publicity, and that this will enhance awareness of TDIs and they'll become more popular. Most data shows that model sales are largely unaffected by recalls (think Prius).

cbrowning

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TDI Manual
Only the EA189 diesel engines are involved in the current EPA action in the US. The new 2015 EA288 diesel engines are not involved, but US sales of the EA288 engines have been halted temporarily until these engines can be double checked by the EPA, I have read.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Only the EA189 diesel engines are involved in the current EPA action in the US. The new 2015 EA288 diesel engines are not involved, but US sales of the EA288 engines have been halted temporarily until these engines can be double checked by the EPA, I have read.
Source? The original release clearly stated Golfs through the 2015MY, which are all EA288.

bloodycelt

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Don't 2015 Golfs use AdBlue which is UREA?

I can't imagine the cheating device to be that far off, if we also are using urea.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I kind of wish I'd bought a '15, as a hedge against changes to the newer cars. Not sure how this will play out. Most people we talk to say that TDIs will be back in the US soon, so resale would be unaffected. You could argue that VW now has a diminished reputation which could negatively affect values. Or you could argue that no publicity is bad publicity, and that this will enhance awareness of TDIs and they'll become more popular. Most data shows that model sales are largely unaffected by recalls (think Prius).
What IBW said. The situation sort of makes me wish I had held onto my TDIs I had years ago. OTOH, my BMW diesels are definite keepers and won't be for sale anytime soon. And my BMW X5 35d (E70) was the model tested that continued to meet the emission limits in the WVU LDDV study. :cool:

I think the SCR TDIs will fare better than LNT TDIs will in whatever ECU reflash is done to fix the non-compliance. The SCR TDIs should be easier to fix too. It could be as simple as slightly increasing EGR rates and increasing the AdBlue dosage. IIRC, in the WVU study it was found that NOx emissions significantly increased in the LNT TDIs during DPF regen operations and my gut feeling is that it may make the noncompliance harder to fix. If there is any hit in performance or MPGs from an ECU reflash I expect the LNT TDIs to take the largest hit.

I agree that the situation may help increase awareness and interest in TDIs and diesel vehicles. It's also a wakeup call for the auto industry and regulators. IMHO, whether there is cheating involved or not, emissions non-compliance under real world driving conditions is a problem not limited to VW and not limited to diesels. I think a lot of gassers would fail to meet emissions certification levels when operated under real world driving conditions. WVU, please test some gassers!

Somebody pass the popcorn. :)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Lots of misinformation out there. Every Audi and VW 2.0L diesel since '09 is affected, including 2015s. All NMS Passats are affected as well, even though they don't appear on some lists.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This article says only the EA189 is affected.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/v...ined-the-truth-is-in-the-software-100219.html

I also read that from another press conference with the VW CEO.
Volkswagen is saying only the EA189 series engine. The EPA's notice of violation includes 2015s, which are EA288 series.

Are we discussing resale value or is this just an extension of the big thread? Also, general resale value discussion should be in TDI 101, since Mk5, Mk6, and NMS owners are likely asking the same questions.

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SEL, '15 GSW S
I have an 09 JSW with 34,000 miles and it's not going anywhere near a dealer for a "fix". I'm in a non test state. If they want to buy me out ,it will have to a very good deal. I'm a happy camper with my JSW.
I'm not sure a "test" or "non-test" state matters - if no fix is installed, your registration renewal could be denied, making your car illegal (bigger problems), or possibly revoked entirely. Speculation of course, but just be aware that you may not have a choice. Good luck. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm pretty sure that Massachusetts has no way of telling whether or not software is updated. All they can tell is if emissions equipment is functioning.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
That is a good question. OBD standard includes query of the ECU name. wonder if version is provided for.

I am pretty sure VCDS reports several fields that update with software changes.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
It's very easy for the state to verify. Believe me VW will be *very* competitive and will gladly hand over a list of VINs that have/have not had the recall/update done.