Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
Many, regardless of how long ago they purchased, are in your position. Be patient and, more importantly, enjoy your new ride in the meantime.

All the hyperbole and speculation of how this will all play out amounts to nothing more than a long discussion until the EPA and VW come to terms, which could take some time.

Again, be patient and drive. I expect to hear from VW, the EPA or both, at some point in the future. Nothing more, nothing less.;)
Thank You akjdouglass... I will just relax, not think about it and enjoy my TDI!

Cheers!

Serra

TDI
2014 Passat
Regardless of what pickups and SUVs are spewing - VW led us to believe that we were driving clean cars...instead, it turns out we were adding to smog.
Vehicle emissions are only 5% of the total NOx emissions that contribute to smog. You can feel safe that your emissions aren't really having much of an effect.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I'd bet that the majority of TDI owners would be happy to have their car left alone, and compensated fairly for being lied to.

Not every - just simply the "majority"

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
the long time TDI owners appear to have a different take on this than folks like me who only went diesel because it was a sportier hybrid alternative - i was going green in my own way - now i am wondering who at VW knew what and when (i bought the car a couple months ago) - i feel duped

romroc

TDI
United States
I believe Volkswagen is a positive company. Too much negativity on these posts. Come on guys give VW a break.
Let's all try to imagine and envision a win-win situation because that's what VW engineers are doing. I hope it is possible but I am no engineer.
Is there a way VW can make this right for everyone ? Is it even possible to improve these cars with the modification of an AdBlue system/tank set up by eliminating the spare tire well ?
Is this mechanically possible and it will not hurt performance nor fuel economy. Will it cure the NOX problem ?
It will be an expensive fix for VW but that seems like the only WIN WIN situation as I see it. Can it be done ? You know VW engineers are smart and are working on a solution. Why don't we offer constructive advice instead of bashing them. They're a company with people, stop treating them like criminals. We have to get over the past and move on guys, come on now, I know you guys are able to see and find a solution and help VW.

Are you a closeted wife beater? Do you take pleasure in being obtuse? People have a perfect right to be upset about all this. VW is a villain here, pure and proven.

GoBucks!

TDI
2014 Passat SE 6M
So despite this being dream thinking. I'll throw water on something else.

What is a "compliant TDI"? They don't exist at this moment. Who is to say VW can even manufacture a "compliant TDI" without making HUGE changes to the engine, and other components. How long will that take to produce for 500k people? (in America alone).

If they did some sort of buy back if won't be for another TDI, that's for sure.
What part of "the emissions passed the test" in the story did you miss? Of course the car can be made compliant with the existing hardware.

rhino4evr

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I'd bet that the majority of TDI owners would be happy to have their car left alone, and compensated fairly for being lied to.

Not every - just simply the "majority"
raises hand. I'll make sure to read impressions, and actual real life performance before I do anything to my TDI. Sorry EPA.

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What part of "the emissions passed the test" in the story did you miss? Of course the car can be made compliant with the existing hardware.

I think that is more a maybe, if you consider reliability. The most recent update didn't fix the issue, so compliance may have large enough impacts on performance or reliability (at least on some models) that additional steps will have to be taken to reimburse consumers.

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Fraud?

Notwithstanding the CEO's recent announcement of full cooperation with the EPA and a corporate culture that does not tolerate fraud, the timeline of story is impressive:
  1. VW introduces a software program no later than 2008 to circumvent emission requirements in the US and leaves it in, operational, until the present day
  2. May 2014: VW is notified by the EPA of large discrepancies between dyno and road testing and clarification is requested. At this point VW knows the fraud is unravelling, so what do they do ?
  3. VW is granted permission by the EPA to update the affected cars to bring them into compliance. This turns out to be a half-hearted attempt at best. Presumably a delaying tactic.
  4. Over the next ~ 12 months VW CONTINUES to deceive the EPA with attempts to explain the results as technical problems. During this period VW continues to sell cars to the public.
  5. EPA threatens to halt sales sometime in the last 3 months, and then VW admits to the fraud
I don't know if the EPA intends to pile on the fines, but obstruction sure seems like a reasonable charge.
I'd like to understand what virtual reality the VW decision makers operate in. None of these decisions seem rational to me.
If this timeline is accurate. Then after May 2014 VW knowingly sold TDI vehicles that should have never been sold. They should have stopped all sales at that point. Instead they started offering incentives to entice buyers to purchase these vehicles that VW did not want to take a loss on.
If I make a bad purchase then shame on me and I take full responsibility for it.
But when a company knowingly sells you a vehicle that does not meet government standards and knows that the EPA is close to blowing the whistle on this scam. So they increase advertising and incentives to unload this loss onto unknowingly consumers. That is fraud in my book.
I think we are stuck with these vehicles now and are at the mercy of VW to do the right thing. The purchase of the car was just the foreplay to what is coming next.

rhino4evr

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Of Course it can? How can you be so sure? The car was designed to operate on the road, not just in a lab. We could be seeing a major downgrade in performance and MPG. Your sporty/efficient TDI will become a boring limp gas guzzler.

wolfman

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Passat 2013 TDI SEL; Former - 1999 Jetta TDI, 1994 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD, 1983 Ford 6.9 IDI, 1986 Chevy 6.2 Diesel Pickup, VW Rabbit Diesel pickup
The software update probably is going to increase urea and fuel consumption, and lead to more of the pollutant CO2.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Oh, and I told my wife to avoid driving next to any sidewalks this morning on her commute to work. The exhaust might kill people instantly.

I was/am being sarcastic. Lots of jump to conclusion people are talking about how horrible they feel for driving a VW diesel now...I'm sitting here thinking of how cheap I will be able to buy another one in the coming months.

BTW, Autoblog is now reporting that its 11 million vehicles worldwide that are under investigation.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/22/11m-vw-diesels-affected-porsche-audi-under-investigation/

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Honestly? I'd almost say to short VOW, given the scale of this. (I'm faaaaar from an investment professional, but the bleeding is getting far worse now.)

I think they'll survive, but I also think they're going to lose a crapton of value.
not a good idea. the stock was already beaten down due to china exposure. once the panic subsides, it will recover. the commercial investors will jump in and crush shorts at some point.

klelmore

TDI
None yet
For a long time, I've been enamored with the VW TDI Jetta (now Golf) Sportwagen. I've been looking for a good used one for a while. As of yesterday, I'm very glad I don't own one. Maybe VW will fix it and it'll still be a great car, but I'm skeptical. If they can, why did they try to cheat on the EPA testing in the first place? What an amazing car: great fuel mileage, good performance and very low emissions. Almost too good to be true. Except now we have to strike the "almost." Very disappointing...

Here's what really irks me: This was a clearly deliberate scheme with many, many engineer-hours dedicated to the software needed to game the test. This screw-up cannot be attributed to a couple of rogue engineers working late hours when no one else was around. This was a plan with a budget.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hybrid diesel technology will come out of this. It's been in the back pocket of VW for a long time...tested in Lemans a few years ago.

The unfortunate part, if the EPA would step back, we would probably have better cars than what we have currently, as ironic as it sounds.

Oh, and speaking of ironic, didn't VW recently vote to not unionize about a year ago...around the time this was brought to light. Nah, nothing fishy at all.

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
The 23o6 update already droped my 44 MPG down to the sticker advertised 42 MPG and it did not correct the problem. I think it's obvious that a "true" software fix will only make the MPG even worse. I also have not seen anyone comment on the fact that the 23o6 udate notice was "a nother LIE" by VW. It stated reason for being applied was correcting a flaw in the MIL/CEL for some special somthing or other. IT did not say it was to fix exess NOX out the tail pipe.
texsize

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
not a good idea. the stock was already beaten down due to china exposure. once the panic subsides, it will recover. the commercial investors will jump in and crush shorts at some point.
Timing is critical for the sell order on this one. Do you know if ADR's are subject to similar NASDAQ delisting rules of below $1 for 30 days and minimum company valuation? I made money on MCI Worldcom back in the days when I was trading it on pinksheets because I knew they'd bounce back due to their network being an instrumental part of the FAA. I know it sounds morbid here asking about VW.AG heading to pinks but was just curious.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
If this timeline is accurate. Then after May 2014 VW knowingly sold TDI vehicles that should have never been sold. They should have stopped all sales at that point. Instead they started offering incentives to entice buyers to purchase these vehicles that VW did not want to take a loss on.
If I make a bad purchase then shame on me and I take full responsibility for it.
But when a company knowingly sells you a vehicle that does not meet government standards and knows that the EPA is close to blowing the whistle on this scam. So they increase advertising and incentives to unload this loss onto unknowingly consumers. That is fraud in my book.
I think we are stuck with these vehicles now and are at the mercy of VW to do the right thing. The purchase of the car was just the foreplay to what is coming next.
you could start complaining, or you can just keep driving it. this isn't like some cheap weedwacker made in china that broke after the second use... the car still works and gets better than stated fuel economy in many cases. It's not spewing big black clouds of soot, its still quite clean and efficient. no one was here complaining that they got better fuel economy than the window sticker stated prior to Friday.... In fact, the majority of the number of folks that signed up for an account in Sept. seem to just be passing through to figure out how to wrangle cash for their hurt, or just to let us all know how wronged you feel. I for one wish that VW didn't do this either but pushing the boundries happens when the yardstick is moved too fast. it happens in sports, racing, school, and work. that makes it no less forgivable. now all of a sudden, everyone is an environmentalist here(i am guessing that may be influenced by the thoughts of something free).
just drive the car if you like how it drove before last friday and wait and see how they will remedy it for us. there are plenty of schools that could use your volunteer hours vs. wasting it on this thread. (I already did my good deeds for the day LOL)

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Vehicle emissions are only 5% of the total NOx emissions that contribute to smog. You can feel safe that your emissions aren't really having much of an effect.
So maybe I shouldn't recycle my plastic because it doesn't make much of a difference, right?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I absolutely LOVE all the fear mongering going on, how VW is done, the TDI is dead, and we'll all die of cancer now that VW 'lied' to us.

Meanwhile I'll continue to smile while driving my trusty B4's with bigger injectors and chips that put out a lot more 'pollutants' than anything in this decade.

I have perused this thread (minus the last 12 pages that cropped up overnight....c'mon guys!) and have some tidbits that warrant a response:

dst5 said:
It doesnt matter how small a number you start with they fact is VW committed fraud against the government and every citizen that breathes air by lying purposefully and error of omission is a lie. If you don't think so than maybe you should reevaluate your morals.
We can talk about your morals when you put them on display for us or we catch you at something. Until then, the EPA doesn't exactly have the highest moral standing either. Maybe it's time to reassess your morals if you aren't looking at the history on both sides of the equation. As to the 'fraud against the government', I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that one! Oh that is just too funny.

Aquaticmind said:
The EPA bashing is without merit. The Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act have improved the health of millions on Americans and healthy people are necessary for a strong economy. I'll take the clean air and water, you can have a burning Cuyahoga River and chronic asthma.

Try to remember that the "EPA spill" was caused by a private contractor (i.e. a private business) working for the EPA at an abandoned private mine site. The EPA and the contractor were trying to clean up a mess left by a private mining company, since the mining company abandoned the site after the cave in happened and the private mining compnay left the toxic mine waste behind for someone else to clean up. The mine waste would have leak out sooner or later had the EPA and contractor not been there.
Without merit? You mean like the spill they knew was more than likely beforehand (AP FIOA request), the lack of a suitable disaster plan, the denial to release initial analysis data to state agencies, and the doctoring of the video they put up on their own website because it painted them in a less than positive light? Oh no my friend, the EPA has earned its reputation.

And don't get me going on the Clean Water or Air Act since I have dealt with those regulations and regulators over the last 24 years as an environmental engineer. I have stories that would make Mother Teresa's blood boil. Suffice to say, the EPA does NOT have our best interests at heart nor are they concerned with anything so noble as protecting us. You agree with them because you see what they want you to see and not behind the scenes. They are not your friend.

That is not to say I agree with what VW did, but I understand it.

As to the private contractor ricochet, they were hired by the EPA who was on site directing them. That they were not in the operators seat is irrelevant. They were also not there trying to clean up the mess, they were doing a site assessment, try to get your facts right if you're going to deflect responsibility. To anyone who doubts this, do the research, there is plenty out there and how it was mishandled by the EPA from the very beginning. If a private company tried to do this they'd be in jail right now, but the EPA is not culpable or responsible.

rotarykid said:
And on emissions rules, if they were really about the common good making the air cleaner, not about politics the most heavily polluting of what is sold today would be at the top of the list when it comes to passing stronger regulations....

The vehicles which pollute the heaviest today are trucks & suvs, which exist today in a loophole for emissions and CAFE......A loophole bought by the introduction of, a the cost of the current non-existent then or now light duty diesel autos.....

Current over stringent light duty diesel emissions rules on vehicles which no one has sold here since 1986 do not, will never give us cleaner air......

This enforcement of this violation of law, will not ever make any difference in pollution anywhere in the US....this is today a feel good by some enforcement action, while continuing to allow gasoline powered trucks & suvs their loophole operation.
Exactly, it's like dumping a beer on a forest fire. The EPA will go after VW like a rabid dog and VW will pay a huge fine, all while the EPA sells credits to the largest polluters to keep them in operation while doing multiple orders of magnitude more damage to the environment they are supposed to protect. Your credibility as a 'protection agency' goes out the window, and it's all legal.

When they start regulating all forms of pollutant the same, since we 'live in one world', then maybe their rules will have more merit. But so long as the rules are for sale to the highest bidder and ignored by numerous point and non-point sources, they will continue to be ineffective.

Random Vibration said:
2011tdiproject said:
You guys saying what VW did was "wrong", well, let me ask you this, did any of us get to vote on these emissions standards? It's not unethical or immoral to violate something that doesn't have a right to exist in the first place.
No but the people who made these decisions were voted on. Did you talk to your congressmen and senators and tell them you disagree and they should pass legislation to delay or roll back this regulation? Did you post your concerns to the EPA during the public comments phase of the draft proposal? When legislators are voted into office, you have your say. Writing a letter to your representatives is having your say. By the same token, not voting and writing is opting out of choosing.

Choosing not to going along with a decision because it didn't go your way can be unethical and immoral. Society works because everyone does not get to do whatever they feel like is moral and ethical.
Have you been through the comment process? I have multiple times and it's a joke. Individual comments are ignored and not considered and mass comments are dismissed as being from fringe groups without standing. The regulators do as they want since that is their agenda and the ends justifies the means, they know better than some uneducated petulant children. It's all about a cleaner world and you just don't understand. They know better than you since they were elected to office and you were not, therefore they assume their will is to be enforced and not yours, regardless of the science, the ego, or the absurdity.

As to being immoral or unethical to 'go along with' the enforcement and made up laws on which you had no say, I call bunk on that. This very country was FOUNDED on such dissension. No, we as individuals are not ethically or morally obligated to follow such dictated conformity when such rules have caveats for sale to the highest bidder. Sorry, but I will not be some mindless automaton blindly following orders of people with ulterior motives.

So to recap, I do not agree with what VW did, but I understand it. I also do not agree with the EPA's methodology or rationale on clean air or the Clean Air Act (or the Clean Water Act for that matter). VW will pay a hefty fine, make nice with the EPA, get sued by CARB (who does receive money from the penalty even if the EPA's goes to the Treasury), make a correction the EPA signs off on, and this will all blow under the rug in short order. The TDI's will take a hit on the fuel economy and hybrid owners will point to this to justify their purchases. In short, the world will keep spinning as we know it.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my rusty, smokey, dirty old TDI's going as long as I can because that is what benefits me as an individual. If rules are in place to make me an environmental criminal, then I have no problem being one.

Last edited:

rhino4evr

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Good luck passing inspection
we don't have emissions testing in good ol red neck FL.

I've seen black smoke come out of more vehicles down here then I'd care to express.

The only way it would become an issue is if the State got involved with making sure each car was updated at renewal registration. Which I don't see FL doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.