Consumer Union weighs in on 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I realize the transmission will shift itself before reaching red line, but I rarely push it that far. For me, it's a) less hunting for a gear and b) better economy, because I'll get it into the highest gear available for the speed while cruising along. I also use it to hold a gear while climbing a grade, again to stop any unnecessary gear hunting.

If I need a spirited romp to merge on the freeway or to pass some imbecile, the DSG seems to know what gear works. Love that low end torque!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Put the transmission in manual/tiptronic mode, perhaps?

I don't own a DSG-equipped car, but if I did (especially if it had shift paddles), it would live permanently in Tiptronic mode except when N, R, or P were employed. I can operate + and - paddles quite capably, and would quite willingly. D would be reserved exclusively for when my [less fanatical, but still manual-capable] wife were driving. If she can stomp & go, she's a happy camper.

Tiptronic has the added benefit of letting you lean on the torque in the 1800-2800 RPM range like a manual while you're 3/4 on the throttle whereas most computer controlled shift logics have you in the 4000+ RPM range at that pedal position, which is a detriment to economy.
You need to drive a TDI with the DSG. For economy and emissions, shift points in D are around 1500 rpm, not 4000+. Puts you in sixth gear around 45 mph. In S (sports mode), IIRC, the shift points are bumped up 500 - 600 rpm. In manual mode, the DSG will still shift once you hit about 3500 rpm. Unless I'm towing a heavier trailer with my JSW, I just leave it in D. Or if I'm stuck in heavy traffic, I might put it over into manual 1 or 2 and let the car creep.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
You need to drive a TDI with the DSG. For economy and emissions, shift points in D are around 1500 rpm, not 4000+. Puts you in sixth gear around 45 mph. In S (sports mode), IIRC, the shift points are bumped up 500 - 600 rpm. In manual mode, the DSG will still shift once you hit about 3500 rpm. Unless I'm towing a heavier trailer with my JSW, I just leave it in D. Or if I'm stuck in heavy traffic, I might put it over into manual 1 or 2 and let the car creep.
On my JSW TDI the 'D' mode shift points are quite a bit higher than what you quote, more like 3000 rpm (assuming you are stepping on it); it will go to the highest reasonable gear though once you let off.
'S' mode shift points are 4000 or 4500 rpm.
In manual it definitely goes higher than in S mode before overriding your input (or lack thereof) and force-shifting, but the extra rpms don't buy you any more horsepower.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yes, it will shift that high when you're getting into it, but I was talking about leisurely cruising for best economy. It's the same in my truck, if I shift when the nanny light tells me too, I changing gears around 1500. 20 minutes after shifting from third to fourth, I am up to enough speed to shift into fifth. Not really that bad, but the there is no power down where the truck thinks I should shift. If I had the low end torque of the diesel, those shift points may work better.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyways, I find the shift points quite reasonable, except that when not under load it should be smart enough to shift earlier even in 'S' mode.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To clarify: I checked it out in moderate traffic the other day. Just easing the throttle in D, most shifts are around 1700 rpm. If you have room to play, yes, you can get it to shift above 3500. Then you look down and realize that your already pushing 75 in a 55 zone.

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Differences between 2015 TDI and earlier TDI & DSG ???
I am new to TDI (July purchased used 2014 JSW TDI DSG) but a long time Gearhead. When I look at all the replies above they are 2012 2013 & 2014 owners commenting about CU's report on the 2015 TDI. I did some research on other reviews and tests of the MK 5/6 TDI's and the New MK 7 GSW TDI with 150 HP engine. It appears there may be a significant difference in the Tuning of the Higher MPG and HP engine??? Test even from 0 - 60 show the new car is up to 1/2 second slower (yet it is Lighter?). Is the Higher HP lost to Mapping the DSG for better EPA MPG or has the gearing changed?
I just happen to love the DSG in my "older" TDI but it is clearly a different experience in "D" verses "S". And I would not doubt that VW wanting to improve EPA #'s would design the new car for less responsive acceleration in Drive for the average driver to get better MPG. In a way they may have forced "Hypermilers" techniques into the transmission mapping. You still have the "S" or TIP options, but CU and other testers very seldom report on anything other than "D".
I am really glad we found a low milage 2014 to purchase, as the new 2015 interior styling is not to my liking, and the AdBlue and loss of IRS is a detraction from what drew me to the JSW TDI DSG package. Just MHO.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like maybe I should test drive the new 2015 'modular queer' (MQB, 'modularer Querbaukasten') JSW just to appreciate my 2012 version more...

chronoreverse

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/DSG
I seem to be able to avoid the brake-to-accelerator lag by shifting to S just before I step on the gas. Placebo maybe but seems to work.

simmer

TDI
2013 JSW
As likely noted in my profile, I have '13 JSW.

Last week borrowed a '15 GSW TDI DSG for a 15 mile test drive, and 1st gear was ridiculously slow... Absolutely no comparison to my '13. Regardless of what improvements the '15 may have from a chassis perspective, the car just was not pleasant to drive... my '13 is positively lively by comparison.

Anyone else have first-hand experience with both?

-Jeff

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
http://www.vwdieselinfo.com/?cid=sem_w9QQH23Q_10254433532_c

This link is for the official VW site set up for the situation .

Under the FAQs area they state that they do not expect emission testing or vehicle inspection problems in any states.

My guess is that state emissions are tested at idle while the "gamed" EPA testing is at varied speeds and loading.

I'm getting my Jetta inspected and serviced next month and will then wait on the results of the "fix" and what VW will do for owners to compensate.

If VW wants to sell cars in the US they'll need to step up in this case.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The law firm of 'Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe' is likely very interested in this event . . :p:D

- Tim

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
If not for greedy ppl looking to turn a quick buck (and sadly, in many cases looking to pass the buck,) there wouldn't be that many lawyers trolling the waters.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I see it the other way . . . the scumbag lawyers embolden the parasites . . . folks would rapidly quit sticking thier paws out if the legal profession judged actual merit and not just potential income.

- Tim

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I won't quote the last four posts, only say that I agree. I've been in several class actions over the years and the results have varied from back up software that still didn't work right to maybe a high payout of $50. I'd sooner go camp out in the dealer's show room until I got arrested or an acceptable trade in. If it came to that.