2004 Jetta wagon axles

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2004 BEW / Tiptronic combo in my 04. Can I use axles from other years/tranmissions? Reason is they seem way cheaper to repair then mine.

I'm pretty sure I have a bad inner CV joint and the rebuild kit is ~500$(CAD ~(320$ US)

Not sure I can get away with just cleaning/greasing since I have a pretty bad wobble when accelerating between 10-20kph (don't notice anything at any other speed or rpm)

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
Unfortunately, you can not use axles from another transmission on the Tip.
You can buy the boot kits, and swap the CV joint from the left to right, so the CV will push on the unused side of the bearings and cage.

Jake

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok well that would of been my followup question :) Can I buy more time by swapping the inners sides :)

I might buy junk chicom axles do a quick swap use them until I can clean and rebuild the stock one. There isn't much choice up here in canuckistan

Of course the more logical answer is manual swap... I'm not ready for that yet :)

Last edited:

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
I used Carone axles on mine. They have decent quality, and will last long enough for me to do the CV joint swap with my stock axles.

Jake

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Read this thread for more info and pics: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396756

Get OEM VW reman right from the dealer. Price is very good (Can't remember exactly, think just under $200)

JZW407449RX (driver's side)
JZW407452CX (passenger side)

Last ones I got weren't even re-maned. They were new, with re-man part # stickers over the original new part # sticker. The old sticker could be read through the new sticker.

Same warranty through VW as new.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'd go with those VW remans.
:) Can I buy more time by swapping the inners sides :)
:)
It might, if nothing else, you'll get a good look at everything and know what you do need.
You can probably save $100 with cheaper parts- don't do it!