TDIFest 2016 location discussion

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I'd probably come to a Tahoe/ Reno TDI fest, I've got family in Reno.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
TJDI fest just does not happen it takes a team and a lot of work.

Just posting does not help. JUST do it.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I'd definitely come to a TDIFest in South Louisiana. Why don't you put something together?
Because it's birthday week around here. And I should be working that weekend anyways.
In all seriousness I suck at organizing events anyway.
If there is something I can do to help outside of my busy seasons (spring and fall) I'd be happy to.
Edit:
Also I would never recommend a far out planned event here between August 1 and October 1. We have 2 options as far as weather during that period 90+ humidity and temps OR hurricanes. During that time there really isn't much else.
"Winter" is fantastic here, normally it falls on a weekend, but some years it is longer.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'd definitely come to a TDIFest in South Louisiana. Why don't you put something together?
Have you ever been to south Louisiana? They bring a whole new meaning to the term 'miserable heat'. Being from Maine, I had no concept of the term before being stationed there in the Army. It was so hot I have no desire to relive that again in my (or any other) lifetime.

The gator was awesome though, they know how to cook.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Have you ever been to south Louisiana? They bring a whole new meaning to the term 'miserable heat'. Being from Maine, I had no concept of the term before being stationed there in the Army. It was so hot I have no desire to relive that again in my (or any other) lifetime.
The gator was awesome though, they know how to cook.
Yes, I have! :p Before I caught the boat bug, I was a field engineer and one of my customers was New Orleans Public Service. I maintained the stack emissions control system at one of their generating stations. Yeah it is hot, but the people, food and music make it worthwhile. In my opinion, anyway…:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You wouldn't find me there on Labor Day. I skipped the Cinci Fest because standing around in a parking lot in 95 degree weather is not my idea of fun. Done enough of that at track days.

Denver, please!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I like the idea of having it somewhere new. Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary, or skip 2016 Labor Day and have it in early 2017 in Austin, Tuscon, Miami, or New Orleans. I know there's been a Fest in Denver but it was before my time. That would be a no-brainer. Santa Barbara? Bozeman? There's lots of options.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Wis-Con-Sin.....just saying.....
If I got some help from other members I think a Green Bay, Wisconsin TDI Fest would be awesome. The weather has cooled down, plenty to see(Lambeau Field, Visit Door County on a tour Cape Cod of the Midwest :)(Since I live in Door County I'd be more than happy to give people destinations to visit) Bay Beach Park, brewery to visit, and I'm sure If I were to do a little searching there is plenty more to do depending on peoples interest)

If anyone from Wisconsin is able to help me out I think it would be definite possibility :D

There was never a Fest in Denver......there was one in Utah....

I'd be onboard with this too, since I've been out there for many therapy sessions after my accident and again there's plenty to do out there as well Red Rocks, Broncos Stadium, Pepsi Center, great mountain roads to cruise, etc. I'm sure there is plenty more to do out there :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Didn't notice any in Lake Mills back in '06. In fact, I'd say that was still my favorite Fest. Nice drive, beautiful scenery, great people (of course). And I also ended up having a client meeting in Chicago the day after Labor Day, so I spent Labor Day driving to the Iowa border and blasting alongside corn fields at 100 MPH. Then got reimbursed for mileage by my client.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I like the idea of Colorado at 1 of the resorts. It's just beautiful out there and it would give me an excuse to go back out that way (was around there in 99)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I think the problem is one of not being local to the area being suggested. Now if Bend, OR was suggested then there is someone local, but do we know if there is someone local in the proposed areas who has the time and knowledge to put on an event? Just because someone has put on a GTG at his house or business location does not mean they can put on a several thousand dollar full blown event. Unfortunately, IIRC, there was a member who does this type of thing for a living that offered to help awhile back but the response seemed negative to a having a "pro" being involved even gratis.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Lots of people with ideas of where they would like to see the next TDIFest.

Not too many stepping up to do the work. That is the issue..
...every year.
If I got some help from other members I think a Green Bay, Wisconsin TDI Fest would be awesome. The weather has cooled down, plenty to see(Lambeau Field, Visit Door County on a tour Cape Cod of the Midwest :)(Since I live in Door County I'd be more than happy to give people destinations to visit) Bay Beach Park, brewery to visit, and I'm sure If I were to do a little searching there is plenty more to do depending on peoples interest)
If anyone from Wisconsin is able to help me out I think it would be definite possibility :D
i also vote Wisconsin... but i might be a touch biased...

near house on the rock maybe?
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2254

really anything within an 8 -10 hour drive would be good though.
Like I stated, with some help from other Wisconsin TDIClub members, I think a Green Bay Fest would be doable. As some of might know I'm wheelchair bound and it leaves me with a fair amount of time to make calls, research hotels, etc. That is also a hinderance on doing the leg work and setting up booths, registration, etc. So that is where other members would have to step up.

So who's onboard?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Like I stated, with some help from other Wisconsin TDIClub members, I think a Green Bay Fest would be doable. As some of might know I'm wheelchair bound and it leaves me with a fair amount of time to make calls, research hotels, etc. That is also a hinderance on doing the leg work and setting up booths, registration, etc. So that is where other members would have to step up.
So who's onboard?
Sounds like a challenge to me... :eek:

Panoramica

IDParts Associate
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 1979 German 2 door Sunroof Rabbit w/1.6 TD,1990 Doka w/AHU
Why not continue the good relationship we now have with Boyne Resorts (the owner's of Sunday River) and stay at another facility they have in other parts of the country?
Big Sky Resort, Montana & Brighton, Utah to name a couple. This idea (not mine) came up in conversation last night at the banquet and I thought I would mention it as I thought it has merit.
What a great time, again, by the way!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Why not continue the good relationship we now have with Boyne Resorts (the owner's of Sunday River) and stay at another facility they have in other parts of the country?
Big Sky Resort, Montana & Brighton, Utah to name a couple. This idea (not mine) came up in conversation last night at the banquet and I thought I would mention it as I thought it has merit.
What a great time, again, by the way!

That exact topic is being discussed as we speak.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Big Sky is nice. I've been to that resort in summer. When I was there in July there was still snow at the top of the mountain.