basic settings on vcds version 14 help finding fuel pump bleeding

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI
Had 74 to date 2006 Mk5 custom TDI
Hi All,
It's been a long time since I've had to use my vagcom because I don't really use it all to often anymore. Today I had to reprime an 2012 passat because the body shop removed the tank to repair a rear clip for me. I opened it up and started to try and find the group 35 under basic setting in engine and NOTHING!!! I look up some youtube procedures but their version was a 11,? not 14. What happened to the boxes in basic settings? and nowhere was the old fuel relay test like the older versions..
I got so pissed I threw the laptop and started cracking lines. I went OLD SCHOOL but I made a mess.
What the hell did they do to VCDS. Is version 15 or lite better?
I'm I missing something or did they change the verbage for bleeding fuel system?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Hi All,
What the hell did they do to VCDS. Is version 15 or lite better?
I'm I missing something or did they change the verbage for bleeding fuel system?
I seriously doubt that they did anything to VCDS. Apparently the procedure is different for a Passat than for a Golf/Jetta. It is VW that is to blame not VCDS.
The latest version (15.7) will always have the latest label files, so it could know more about your car than version 14 did. However, I am no expert on your car. However, I do know that VCDS-Lite will not work with your car. The lite (shareware) version of VCDS does not support CAN bus cars at all.

Have Fun!

Don

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks don
So if I understand you correctly your saying the VCDS format changed because of my car?
Ver 11 and 12 looked alike , the old way. When you logged into basic settings you would get three rows of boxes and you could type in what channel you wanted. The 14 version has a drop down menu with categories. NO ability login to a channel. I'm not sure if the type of car would do that?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Thanks don
So if I understand you correctly your saying the VCDS format changed because of my car?
Ver 11 and 12 looked alike , the old way. When you logged into basic settings you would get three rows of boxes and you could type in what channel you wanted. The 14 version has a drop down menu with categories. NO ability login to a channel. I'm not sure if the type of car would do that?
Actually no. I do not think that VCDS changed at all except for now covering all the latest VWs. The method you mention (basic settings 35) is still the correct way to prime the system in your 2010 Jetta. That will still work with VCDS versions 11, 14, & 15.x. I have seen no change in the way VCDS looks or works. In your OP you said this was a 2012 Passat that you were trying to prime. The Passat has a very different fuel injection system than the Jetta. Therefore, the procedure for running the electric fuel pump could well be different as well (I believe that there is no Aux fuel pump in a Passat TDI).

As I said before, I am not very familiar with the Passats. I have never even tried to run any fuel pumps. I am pretty sure that my VCDS cable has only ever plugged into a Passat once and that was only to activate the rain/light sensor. I have never even looked at the engine controller. Since the basic settings method obviously doesn't work, I would start looking under the engine controller output tests. There should be a way to run the lift pump from there. That should be all that is needed.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
The Passat's ECU uses a totally different diagnostic protocol than the older Jettas and that protocol (UDS) does not support the old numbered Basic Settings (or Measuring Value) "Blocks" or "Groups".

-Uwe-

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI
Damm uds

Well awesome ??. I can always count on this site for the answer. So apparently
My car has the UDS crap. Thank you Wolfsburg d for the direct answer.
Ok so to recap 2012 Passat was being repaired at a body shop in which they had to remove the fuel tank. When they installed it air was induced into the fuel system. They then tried to move it which resulted in engine shutdown. I tried to use my vagcom with but found the UDS format confusing and since my experience with Vw s has been pre 2010 I was at a loss as to how to bleed the system. Turning over the engine, filling the fuel filter housing and cracking the injector lines DIDNT work. I did find the fuel fill test but the program asked for two fuel quantities (min fuel in full and something else?) of which no guesses worked. Sorry this was a few sleeps ago.
Needless to say we pushed the car into the paint booth!
Turns out later after paint work that the ground for the harness off the passenger inner fender was removed to clear for repair. After I put the harness bAck into place the pump primed when KO and startup was achived.
I 'm documenting this so maybe my folly will help someone else in the future?