Audi bringing A4 TDI to US- 190 hp/295 lb/ft

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Interesting that they are speculating a TDI Quattro version. And the engine has more power than the VW version, so something's different there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wonder if it's a transverse engine or if the modular platform can accommodate a longitudinal engine?

Whatever it is I'd buy it for the cluster display. I love that.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
It annoys me that Audi marketing selects the Allroad over the A4 Avant for the US (**if** they even make a TDI wagon available here). I guess it must be that idea that everyone in the US wants an A$$UV. :rolleyes: Any weight savings will be taken up by all the Allroad bolt-ons. Although, that huge plastic rim around the wheels help prevent shopping cart chips in parking lots, I guess.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Whatever it is I'd buy it for the cluster display. I love that.
I developed instrument clusters for a couple of years, from 2012-14, and worked on the beginnings of the Lincoln Continental cluster for 2017 which will be a big display. We're seeing more instrument clusters in that price range (Cadillac CTS, too, I think?) that are just big TFT displays. No more dial gages with pointers with stepper motors. Like anything else, we'll see that technology trickle down to average vehicles in the next decade.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It annoys me that Audi marketing selects the Allroad over the A4 Avant for the US (**if** they even make a TDI wagon available here). I guess it must be that idea that everyone in the US wants an A$$UV. :rolleyes: Any weight savings will be taken up by all the Allroad bolt-ons. Although, that huge plastic rim around the wheels help prevent shopping cart chips in parking lots, I guess.
You can get a paint option that eliminates the contrasting color wheel arches and bumpers, makes the Allroad look less like a Subaru.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Did a search and couldn't find anything on this. Looks pretty awesome to me
This motor + 7 speed DSG + Quattro + beautiful interior

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-audi-a4-official-photos-and-info-news
Not saying it won't happen but that article is not authoritative. No one from Audi has actually stated the TDI Quattro is finally coming to the A4. It would be nice if it did but until Audi announces it as such, there's no guarantee. Too many assume these speculative articles as fact and get disappointed when it doesn't happen.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I developed instrument clusters for a couple of years, from 2012-14, and worked on the beginnings of the Lincoln Continental cluster for 2017 which will be a big display. We're seeing more instrument clusters in that price range (Cadillac CTS, too, I think?) that are just big TFT displays. No more dial gages with pointers with stepper motors. Like anything else, we'll see that technology trickle down to average vehicles in the next decade.
The day will come where TFT screens will be the norm on all cars, and only the most expensive, luxurious cars will have retro dial gauges.

While I get the technical superiority of TFT, I don't really look forward to it - I look at TFT screens in cars like I look at linoleum floors and vinyl siding.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yep Audi is not bringing the TDI quatro to the US.
Not sure why you feel confident about that. They already have several here. They've stayed away from the transverse engine TDI Quattro, but I think we have a good shot at getting the A4 with a TDI and Quattro. Much, much less confident about seeing a manual transmission...or a wagon.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
The thing the other TDI Quattro Audi's have in common is a single TDI engine and transmission combo. Once you certify that engine/transmission in one application, its easier and cheaper to certify it in other applications. This 2.0 TDI isn't transverse, uses a transmission not used in other 2.0 TDI applications, and a unique hp rating (engine map). It would need to get certified without other vehicles helping to offset the cost and effort.

I'm not terribly optimistic. It is VWAG. They often show exciting things just to pull up short in the end. Its habitual for them.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
I typed, then deleted the line I wrote about global warming, the Greek financial crisis, and fairies.
Careful there....the PC police will show up on your desktop.
Non acceptable speech will not be tolerated, to hell with the 1st amendment or whatever..:rolleyes:

I did not delete the above, but I did type it. :p

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Non acceptable speech will not be tolerated, to hell with the 1st amendment or whatever..:rolleyes:

1. This site is hosted in Canada :)
2. The First Amendment only applies to government regulation of expression, not private norms :D

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)

As a fairy myself, I was not offended.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Yeah, I would also like a TDI Passat Wagon with a manual tranny. We had one in Germany and loved it. The A4 Quattro with a 6-speed would be nice too.
LRTDI;4853230]But we can't get a simple Passat Wagon tdi?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:[/QUOTE]

WagenFan

TDI
2013 JSW TDI Black/Black DSG w/ pano
The thing the other TDI Quattro Audi's have in common is a single TDI engine and transmission combo. Once you certify that engine/transmission in one application, its easier and cheaper to certify it in other applications. This 2.0 TDI isn't transverse, uses a transmission not used in other 2.0 TDI applications, and a unique hp rating (engine map). It would need to get certified without other vehicles helping to offset the cost and effort.

I'm not terribly optimistic. It is VWAG. They often show exciting things just to pull up short in the end. Its habitual for them.
Couldn't there be other vehicles that use the same power train? Upcoming Q5 (will be a huge product for Audi), next gen Q3 as well maybe? Merc and BMW both offer 4 cyl diesel power in their small Utes- seems like Audi would move that way as well.

Seems to me like the six cylinder diesel in the current Q5 was implemented because they had that power train certified and ready to go, kind of like when BMW offered the 335d. While those are great fun I'm sure, the current 328d has the more traditional balance of economy and performance for a diesel passenger car.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
Couldn't there be other vehicles that use the same power train? Upcoming Q5 (will be a huge product for Audi), next gen Q3 as well maybe? Merc and BMW both offer 4 cyl diesel power in their small Utes- seems like Audi would move that way as well.

Seems to me like the six cylinder diesel in the current Q5 was implemented because they had that power train certified and ready to go, kind of like when BMW offered the 335d. While those are great fun I'm sure, the current 328d has the more traditional balance of economy and performance for a diesel passenger car.
They could migrate the Q5 and A6 to the 2.0 TDI but currently they aren't so there's no offset. I don't think they'll carry two TDI options for the Q5 in the US/Canada. The Q3 is transverse not longitudinal so the transmission would not meet the simularity standard. That's why the 'new' Q3 uses the old TSi engine from the Tiguan of 2009-current. If the Tiguan has it, the Q3 has it too since they share the PQ35 platform.

With the new A4, you'd still have a car and powertrain with single model use. Single use in a relatively modest volume car. VWAG doesn't do alot of that these days. If the Q5 and/or A6 migrate from 3.0 TDI to 2.0 TDI it makes more sense. Then you need to find new uses for the 3.0 in that case.

I say let's wait for Audi to annouce the powertrain line up before we say its a done deal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You realize that this is all speculation, including the original article. However, Audi has promised an A4 diesel since 2011, and many think they were waiting for the next generation as it wasn't worth it to certify one in the current model for a year or two.

Unless fuel prices fall through the floor I believe this will happen. CAFE standards for luxury car makers like Audi and BMW are creating pressure to improve fleet economy, and diesel is the best way for them to achieve that. And I bet we'll see the same 2.0L engine in the next gen Q5.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
With falling fuel prices, diesels become harder to justify in the consumer market. People don't always act rational and ignore the fact that fuel prices can go up just as they go down. Look at all those people who jumped on variable interest rate mortgages who were prepared for what happens when rates were low but couldn't handle it when the rates were high. Gas is relatively cheap at the moment and people are back to their old habit of buying bigger, less efficient vehicles.

SUV and truck sales are strong and small car and hybrid sales are going soft. It makes for a harder business case to launch a diesel powered car. I won't bet on an A4 TDI Quattro. If it does come, I wouldn't be too surprised if they pull an A3 and make it FWD only.