Official list of HPFP Failures

jpx

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
2012 Golf TDI HPFP failure

Just happened to me.
2012 Golf tdi, well maintained and trouble free for ~22,000 miles. Only.
Then.... Sudden failure on a trip.
Towed to a dealership in VT. Great communication/treatment from them.
They claim contaminated diesel fuel. I had to stop for fueling at a less than stellar looking station on that trip. Dealer showed me a sample which looked like oil and vinegar with bits of sediment on bottom. So... insurance claim, not HPHF flaw? Or.. both?
Note that filter and HPFP showed signs of 'gunk'. HPFP had a fine silver/white powder visible inside.
My immediate issue is I have to pay deductible (and higher premiums later?) and if it is really a manufacturer issue also, or instead it would be "better" for VW to admit and pay.
Trying to determine just how common is this problem with TDI's? I understand things happen, but if such a thing as this fuel pump catastrophe is a common occurrence, it's an expensive and huge risk I'd prefer to avoid again. Why own a 'time bomb"?
Your insights are appreciated. Thanks

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Asked and Answered

jpx, haven't you got all the answers you need from your other post.

There have been some HPFP failures--very small percentage. VW has now extended the warranty on some years with higher failure rate. No warranty coverage from events caused by contaminated fuel. What more do you want?

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
jpx, haven't you got all the answers you need from your other post.

There have been some HPFP failures--very small percentage. VW has now extended the warranty on some years with higher failure rate. No warranty coverage from events caused by contaminated fuel. What more do you want?
Bwahahhahaha, small percentage?

As for VW's new warranty, sorry while I mop myself up from the floor laughing.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I frankly don't care WHAT the percentage is. The point is that IF the pump fails, it's a $7,000 repair bill; something I am not going to gamble on. I got the warranty extension letter in the mail the other day. As soon as I hit 110,000 miles, I'm going to start looking for a replacement vehicle.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
I frankly don't care WHAT the percentage is. The point is that IF the pump fails, it's a $7,000 repair bill; something I am not going to gamble on. I got the warranty extension letter in the mail the other day. As soon as I hit 110,000 miles, I'm going to start looking for a replacement vehicle.
Don't blame you, I am upset too, I just haven't got a letter and I like it that way.
Real roller coaster of emotions, VW is doin the right thing...weee:)
Wait....they have limited their liability and haven't fixed the issue...
I knew I couldn't trust em:mad:
Some of us will probably opt out of the cp4 for cp3 while others will cut their losses.
Good Luck

Last edited:

FSHRAM

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Year: 2013
Build Date: Unknown, will provide once I have the car back
Make/Model: VW JSW TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: ~27,000
Date of failure: July 6th, 2015
Diesel Fuel Source: Last filled at Marathon station in Indiana on Rt.20
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP failed
Dealer: Pugi VW in Downers Grove, IL
Status: Dealer stated the vehicle had a HPFP failure which required a tow from VW Roadside Assistance. They then stated the car needed to be tested by an independent lab to determine if I had either put unleaded gasoline or contaminated diesel in the tank. I drove 250 miles on the tank of fuel and knew it could not be because of unleaded gasoline. They sent my results to the lab on July 8th and I am still waiting to hear back on them. I am trying to keep patient and not lose my cool but this is infuriating for 2 year old car that I bought new. I will update this as things happen. Wish me luck.

Ellery

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen
Year:2009
Build Date:
Make/Model:TDI sports wagen
Mileage: 126,228
Diesel Fuel Source: I mainly get my gas most of the time at a chevron on hwy 31 in hoover, AL near the royal VW dealer, but have gotten diesel from other brand name places on trips over the past 6 years
Additives: NO
Problem: Pulled out of schlotskys deli drive through in Tuscaloosa, on 15th street, heard a funny repeating noise, thought it was someone else, hit gas peddle when light changed green, then had sluggish response, managed to awkwardly get through intersection, and drifted off road in a parking lot, and would not restart, towed home, then later towed to Hutchinson Automotive in Birmingham, AL - they said the HPFP went bad and found metal flakes throught the fuel system, 7k repair.
Dealer: Hutchinson Automotive, spoke to dealer today, they are looking further into this and may do the repair leaving injectors as is to make my repair cheaper
Status: VWof America denied my claim, stating 1) I am over the mileage cutoff, and 2) I did not get a "fuel guard", repeated calls back to them and they are not moving at all. Hutchinson said 7K for that repair, I am due for a timing belt. Royal VW dealer is going to call me back after discussing my case further, Age 32 now, pharmacist, first new car I ever bought, first VW, I suspect ill learn some lessons from this all, either way it looks like I either made bad choices or had some bad luck.

Someone earlier said they have not seen any craigs list adds saying "HPFP failure, selling as is..."

I am pretty close to posting that add if I cannot repair for something lower cost.

I have not yet filed with NHTSA.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Year:2009
Build Date:
Make/Model:TDI sports wagen
Mileage: 126,228
Diesel Fuel Source: I mainly get my gas most of the time at a chevron on hwy 31 in hoover, AL near the royal VW dealer, but have gotten diesel from other brand name places on trips over the past 6 years
Additives: NO
Problem: Pulled out of schlotskys deli drive through in Tuscaloosa, on 15th street, heard a funny repeating noise, thought it was someone else, hit gas peddle when light changed green, then had sluggish response, managed to awkwardly get through intersection, and drifted off road in a parking lot, and would not restart, towed home, then later towed to Hutchinson Automotive in Birmingham, AL - they said the HPFP went bad and found metal flakes throught the fuel system, 7k repair.
Dealer: Hutchinson Automotive, spoke to dealer today, they are looking further into this and may do the repair leaving injectors as is to make my repair cheaper
Status: VWof America denied my claim, stating 1) I am over the mileage cutoff, and 2) I did not get a "fuel guard", repeated calls back to them and they are not moving at all. Hutchinson said 7K for that repair, I am due for a timing belt. Royal VW dealer is going to call me back after discussing my case further, Age 32 now, pharmacist, first new car I ever bought, first VW, I suspect ill learn some lessons from this all, either way it looks like I either made bad choices or had some bad luck.

Someone earlier said they have not seen any craigs list adds saying "HPFP failure, selling as is..."

I am pretty close to posting that add if I cannot repair for something lower cost.

I have not yet filed with NHTSA.

DO NOT skimp repairing it properly if you are footing the bill, it will bite you badly.

I would hit up the vendors on this site and go from there, sorry to hear this, what a joke. :mad:

Ellery

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen
thanks for the supportive responses...I really have no idea what to do....Hutchinson has a good reputation. I spoke to them about the possibility that the injectors could be left and be ok...they were highly highly skeptical and said they would never agree to do it...they suggested to me that if dealer will do this, then they should agree in writing to cover the repeat issue if/when it occurs.

Notably btw, the dealer informed me that "recent" warranty repairs on this issue have been approved as such, that VW is telling them to leave the injectors....the rep at the dealer was going to investigate this further as he was also not sure if it is a good idea for sure in my case (although if it is not a good idea for me, it probably is not good for those getting it under warranty??!)

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
ellery---contact NHTSA and report your failure before contacting VoA any further, this MAY help. also, regarding your injectors, there is some recent discussion on the issue in this thread. Reuse without having them properly cleaned would be a fouls choice IMHO, hopefully they have not been harmed beyond repair. Good luck, sorry to hear that VoA seems to be holding the line with regard to the terms set forth within the recent letter.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=443035

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Year: 2010
Build Date: Not Sure
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI
Mileage: 157700
Diesel Fuel Source: Road Ranger
Problem: HPFP failure. My wife was 140 miles out of town, car was running great and out all of a sudden the glow plug light bean flashing and the car went into limp mode. She pulled it to the side of the road and turned it off and it would not restart. Had it towed home at the price of ~$650. Looked into the HPFP and found metal shavings.
Dealer: Lou Bachrodt VW of Rockford
Status: Contacted VWoA and my local dealer, bout refused to do anything because it is out of the extended warranty period even though it has the mis-fueling guard installed. My local dealer quoted me about $6000 to $7000 to preform the repair. A local VW mechanic quoted About $5000. I am currently preforming the repair myself with the help of a few TDIClub members. Thanks guys!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Build Date: Not Sure
Make/Model: VW Jetta TDI
Mileage: 157700
Diesel Fuel Source: Road Ranger
Problem: HPFP failure. My wife was 140 miles out of town, car was running great and out all of a sudden the glow plug light bean flashing and the car went into limp mode. She pulled it to the side of the road and turned it off and it would not restart. Had it towed home at the price of ~$650. Looked into the HPFP and found metal shavings.
Dealer: Lou Bachrodt VW of Rockford
Status: Contacted VWoA and my local dealer, bout refused to do anything because it is out of the extended warranty period even though it has the mis-fueling guard installed. My local dealer quoted me about $6000 to $7000 to preform the repair. A local VW mechanic quoted About $5000. I am currently preforming the repair myself with the help of a few TDIClub members. Thanks guys!
Sorry to hear about this. Is this the first case posted where VW denied because of it being out of the extended warranty?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry to hear about this. Is this the first case posted where VW denied because of it being out of the extended warranty?
No, a few others have posted up, one said he was going to give his car away.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
No, a few others have posted up, one said he was going to give his car away.
Figures, I should have read back further. Total bummer, but I had a feeling VW would start doing this after I got that letter. Glad I got rid of that crappy HPFP!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very sad state of affairs, :(

Ellery

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen
mine is similar to dan.falzone, but I did not get the fuel guard (honestly recall no letter?), but it appears it would have mattered not and VWoA assured me when I asked that it would not matter...they were very clear....any one of 3 conditions unmet and it was a no go

"

1) over 120k mileage
2) no fuel guard
3) testing of a fuel sample showed contamination etc...

I have been playing this joking mindfulness medication youtube clip over and over in the past week or so entitled "F#&* that: a guided meditation" (see youtube for a good laugh)....this has been mildly helpful :(

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
mine is similar to dan.falzone, but I did not get the fuel guard (honestly recall no letter?), but it appears it would have mattered not and VWoA assured me when I asked that it would not matter...they were very clear....any one of 3 conditions unmet and it was a no go

"

1) over 120k mileage
2) no fuel guard
3) testing of a fuel sample showed contamination etc...

I have been playing this joking mindfulness medication youtube clip over and over in the past week or so entitled "F#&* that: a guided meditation" (see youtube for a good laugh)....this has been mildly helpful :(
Got any friends who are mechanically savvy...
dan.falzone just did the job himself and the complete cost was some where around $1000 ish.
Got a local tech school that might be interested in doin some work on a tdi?
Even the mechanical department of some high schools might be interested...
Maybe post up on the the forum asking for some help in your community.
Sorry for your troubles...Good Luck

TDI
Jetta TDI sportwagon
Build Date: At dealer, not sure, late in the year
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Tranny: DSG, 6M ?
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 129,000
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Varies
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
HPFP failed at high speed, no power while on freeway. 16 year old driving, glow plug light came in right before, she felt like it was driving tough, would not accelerate. Metal shavings found in fuel. Vw requested a fuel sample be sent to them. Even before receiving they are saying no to repairing.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
VW Boardwalk, redwood city, ca
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)
Dealer asking VW to repair. VW off America position is top ONLY repair if the failure occurs before 120,000 miles or 10 years. I nee
Build Date: At dealer, not sure, late in the year
Make/Model: Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Tranny: DSG, 6M ?
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 129,000
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Varies
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.)
HPFP failed at high speed, no power while on freeway. 16 year old driving, glow plug light came in right before, she felt like it was driving tough, would not accelerate
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho)
VW Boardwalk, redwood city, ca
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)
Dealer asking VW to repair. VW of America position is to ONLY repair if the failure occurs before 120,000 miles or 10 years. I need some advice here. Still at the dealer, at least $4,000 repair. VW saying it won't budge at all on paying for this known issue due to mileage at the time of failure. I need advice here. Any ideas?

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have no real advice as far as getting VoA to cover your failure, they recently sent out a warranty extension letter covering certain years. You should file a complaint with NHTSA and then contact VoA again. Failures seemed to be covered without regard to mileage until the new "extended warranty" position. There seem to be three qualifications; below 120k, mis-fueling guard installed and that your current fuel passes some type of spec. test.

Unfortunately you are one of the most recent cases of being denied based on one or more of those qualifications. I have not yet seen a "strategy" for fighting to get this covered by VoA that has been developed or successful by any club member.
good luck and welcome to tdiclub (sorry it had to be in such unfortunate circumstances),
you may want to check out this thread, it covers the costs one member who is performing the work himself has seen.

Last edited:

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no real advice as far as getting VoA to cover your failure, they recently sent out a warranty extension letter covering certain years. You should file a complaint with NHTSA and then contact VoA again. Failures seemed to be covered without regard to mileage until the new "extended warranty" position. There seem to be three qualifications; below 120k, mis-fueling guard installed and that your current fuel passes some type of spec. test.

Unfortunately you are one of the most recent cases of being denied based on one or more of those qualifications. I have not yet seen a "strategy" for fighting to get this covered by VoA that has been developed or successful by any club member.
good luck and welcome to tdiclub (sorry it had to be in such unfortunate circumstances),
you may want to check out this thread, it covers the costs one member who is performing the work himself has seen.
^^Ditto
Keep Strong
The Media might be one option

Last edited:

FSHRAM

TDI
So I got an update today from VWofA that the dealership sent my fuel sample to the wrong place. So I have waited 15 days just to hear that and not from the dealer even. Now they sent it to the correct place, but would the sample even be good anymore? Corporate is still saying that this test is the important part before anything can happen next. Why can't they fix the car without this test and figure out liability once they get it? Furious is an understatement. To get an answer and get to this point I had to post on VWofA's Facebook page. So sad....

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
FSHRAM---the sample should be fine, do you have any record of your purchase? It is probably to late to go get a sample yourself but you could contact the vendor and see if they have had any other problems. Maybe check with the State for any reports, Dept. of Weights and Measures. Where are you in the city? I see your vehicle went to Pugi in DG. Hoping for the best but if this is something that you have to tackle yourself I may not be too far and would be willing to help. Sorry, pretty much unavailable during the week but could try to assist. You would be responsible for making all decisions of what parts to replace (obviously) but I would be like have some hands-on learning experience. Anyway, welcome to tdiclub, sorry it was under these circumstances and pm me if there is anything I may be able to help you with.

added---want to be completely clear I AM NOT A MECHANIC, repeat NOT A MECHANIC.

Last edited:

FSHRAM

TDI
waltzconmigo - I have a reciept on my bank statement but no paper receipt as I tossed it after filling up. Something I will never do again. As for as the station I called the day after my pump failed and asked if anyone else had issues and they said they had no other reports of trouble. Would they tell me otherwise; probably not. Thank you for the offer to help me and I may take you up on it. I am trying to not erupt on VW and Pugi until they give me answer on things. If I get stuck with the fix I may just replace the pump and flush the tank and drive it to the closest Honda dealer and get a new car. I really do not feel good about this car anymore after dealing with this.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
FSHRAM: I haven't read about VWoA doing a fuel analysis for a long time. Originally, some dealer's "fuel test" was a Styrofoam cup, if it melted, there was gas in the fuel. Totally bogus.

Now I'm wondering if the fuel analysis is mandatory for any HPFP failures because of the newly released 10year/120k extended warranty that VWoA is offering for the CR VW/Golfs??? Either that, or your dealer is BSing you and just making you wait.

FSHRAM

TDI
Update: The dealer just called that my fuel passed the test and they will be fixing my car with an improved design pump and that this process was a new VW protocol since June some time. I am still livid to have to go through this and am not sure I will keep the car too much longer. Sad cause I really like it.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update: The dealer just called that my fuel passed the test and they will be fixing my car with an improved design pump and that this process was a new VW protocol since June some time. I am still livid to have to go through this and am not sure I will keep the car too much longer. Sad cause I really like it.
So what are they going to actually do? Just replace the HPFP or do the whole meal deal? If they just replace the pump, then yeah, go trade it in. :(

If you keep it, get the 2 micron kit, that way next time it fails, you only need to change the pump.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^this. FSHRAM: Ask a LOT of questions, and feel free to post here exactly what the dealership is replacing.
The full list of parts that need replacing is here somewhere...