Considering selling the Golf

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
We have baby number 2 on the way in October so I need something bigger, and I have been eying a new truck for quite some time.

As with the rest of you, I have put a TON of time and money into this car in order to get it where she is right now. Below I will list everything that has been done in order for you guys to help me gauge an good asking price for both the buyer and myself.

2003 4 door Golf. Silver, 5 spd manual 225,xxx miles. Keyless entry, power locks, crank windows.

-Rebuilt Head from Frank, everything replaced. new head bolts
-New Garrett VNT-15 turbo including oil return and feed lines
-Atlas Skid plate
-Literally every gasket and seal on the engine
-Timing belt kit
-Transmission mount and Dogbone mount
-Brakes all the way around
-Tie rods
-ball joints
-control arm bushings
-rear axle beam bushings
-2" lift kit from metalnerd
-Jetta wagon springs front and back with new struts/shocks to go along with it for a total of 2.5"-3" lift with a fresh alignment
-109 Relay
-rear wiper motor
-Antenna
-drivers side window regulator
-HID headlights with lowbeam/highbeam/foglight/city light (need euro switch to be able to use fog lights, but all bulbs are in the housings and ready for use)
-block heater (installed, never used)
-new set of 205 70 r15 General artic studless snow tires
-throwout bearing
-output shaft seal

I am sure there are numerous other things that I am forgetting about but I have receipts for everything that I have done. As well as plenty of pictures of the processes. CEL is on for the egr valve and I am getting the typical oil "wheep" out of the egr assembly.

What would you guys say is a fair asking price for this car from a buyer and seller standpoint?

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Personally I would rather have a nice car like that than a baby -no contest
Don't feel bad, I'm just not into screamers.-some are.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think your car has to be an '02, not an '03. AFAIK '02 was the last year any VW had crank windows in the US. Starting in '03 even the GLs had power. Check the build date.

Regarding value, see what folks say here. My .02 is that A4s have fallen a lot in value in the last year or two, and what you get for your car depends on cosmetics and how much someone wants what you have. Seems that nice A4 Golfs are in the $4K range these days.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Mine is actually a "Canadien" model. Purchased in Canada and resided in Upstate NY its entire life.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Personally I would rather have a nice car like that than a baby -no contest
Don't feel bad, I'm just not into screamers.-some are.

I actually bought my Golf from your hometown! I live about 45 minutes from you.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Why is your car not good for a Baby.... Should be just fine.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
2 carseats in the back would be a nightmare. Doable but it would push me into the steering wheel. Especially considering that the front facing seats generally take up more room, and my 3 year old in his car seat has my wife's knees about 3 inches from the dash (she is 5'2")

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
guess the jetta has more room. drove 3 years ago with car seats(2) and now just one. i'm only 5'10" though. plenty of room.
lets see pics!

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Euro people get along fine with 2 kids in a Golf .

Gas prices won't stay low

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Euro people get along fine with 2 kids in a Golf .

Gas prices won't stay low
With/for kids 4drs are just better... (more things to go wrong, but better)

I wouldn't speculate on fuel prices being "high" or "low." What one should embrace is the notion that "fuel will become less and less affordable" (reduced wages or unemployment and low fuel prices can be equal to higher wages and higher fuel prices; six of one half a dozen of the other).

InSaNeBoY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I have two kids and I can fit a big ole car seat in my mk4 jetta. It's snug, but doable. I would not sell my TDi unless we were talking three kiddos(or until we move and I can walk to work)...

That said, we just got a 2015 Jetta, to replace my wife's B5 Passat. That car has quite a bit more rear seat room, there is now a gap between the car seat and the back of the front seat.... Of course that new jetta is only 2" shorter then the B5 passat(and its slightly wider)

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
hmm, all excellent thoughts and bits of advice. I would certainly have a hard time getting rid of it, especially for anything under $5500. Going below that number just wouldn't make sense.

With the amount of fuel savings I get from the golf, in comparison to anything else I am considering, it pays for itself. With that theory in mind, it is essentially a free car to drive that pays me more the longer I keep it.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Keep it. Those prices are depressing to me! But I wasn't about to sell mine anyway.

JustinVT

TDI
00 ALH Golf GL
I picked up a 00 golf that had a similar pile of receipts dating back to purchase from the original owner for $4500. 165k on the clock.

InSaNeBoY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Yeah I would not pay 5500 for a 225k mi TDi golf. Figuring I'd only get $6k for my loaded Jetta wagon(has 168k mi, full maintenance records etc)