NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^yup. :)

I agree Claudio. I love my 2010 tdi and was planning on keeping it forever. I already had my entire fuel system and fuel tank replace at around 60k in October 2012...after fighting with vw as they replaced only the filter (failed again), then the filter and another pump (failed yet again) and finally the whole system and tank.

Now I have 117k miles on it and this extended warranty does me no good, unless they will consider my in service date as the date they installed a brand new fuel system and tank at 60k. hmmmm...that may take me to 180k (or the year 2022). Any thoughts on getting extensions for those who have a lot of miles and who already got the system replaced?
That is so ridiculous... that they made you go through all of that instead of doing it right the first time... If you really want to keep the car long term (or maybe even short term, lol), look into the 2micron kits... It has been on a car with a failure, and contained the damage to the pump... no other damage was done; I think the pump is around $400, and then you'd have labor... but I can handle that... it was the $7,000 failure I was more concerned about... not anymore!

I have no answers to your warranty question... I decided, before VW's decision, to do what I could to protect the car and the just relax, drive, and hope for the best!

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I got a Warranty Extension for the High Pressure Fuel pump today thru the mail. Will keep the letter. The info is not kept under the recall section after looking up my VIN number.

2012 VW jetta tdi .

IT covers the fuel pump for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

I am covered now. So no need to do any mods, just will add a few additives.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......MY 2013 - 2014 are conspicuously absent from the warranty action. Bean counter economics? Would they have additional statistical data not known to others?

Great car, dogxxxx component(s)

ez

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
.......MY 2013 - 2014 are conspicuously absent from the warranty action. Bean counter economics? Would they have additional statistical data not known to others?

Great car, dogxxxx component(s)

ez
They will likely be gathering statistical data for awhile. The unwritten good will repair program was not reassuring. It was always subject to change at VW's whim. Drive more, worry less only worked until the policy changed. VW has the statistics and loss ratio figured out for 09-12. Time will tell for the newer models.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm not surprised about the extended warranty but am sorry to see that it may mean the loss of the "good will" repairs. At just over 5 years and approaching 80,000 miles, I will at least be covered for awhile.

I recommend that everyone that continues to have failures still file a claim with NHTSA.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
Whole reason to buy a TDI is the mileage throughout several 100Ks. Makes 120K+ miles very interesting.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
So, now what should I do, I had my pump and fuel replaced @ 113k 3 years ago, and now I got this letter for reimbursement, bit the MA and pa shop closed down last year.

I have all receipts, should I submit and see what happens?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
That is what I would do... A well worded letter explaining the situation probably wouldn't hurt!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Did anybody in Canada get this infamous letter yet? I haven't. Wouldn't surprise me if it's US only...
Dealer told me the US extended warranty doesn't apply to Canada at the moment.
He further explained a US car in Canada can't get service under warranty in Canada and vice versa. They are separate.
We haven't received one.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Anyone good at writing form letters? Maybe us Canadians should write to VW corporate Canada and voice our displeasure?

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone good at writing form letters? Maybe us Canadians should write to VW corporate Canada and voice our displeasure?
I agree with the displeasure but I am probably thinkin of something different than you..lol
A person being racked over the coals by VW of Canada would have better luck getting the CBC GO Public involved than trying to appeal to VW of Canada.
I have spoken to reception and they are nasty, even up the corporate ladder, when you are trying to help them from a dealer trying to rip them off they are stubborn and nasty.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=322557&highlight=shift+blame
You need to talk directly to the people who have the power to make a change, politely appeal to them while pointing out all your evidence and see what happens.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410742

Last edited:

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Dealer told me the US extended warranty doesn't apply to Canada at the moment.
He further explained a US car in Canada can't get service under warranty in Canada and vice versa. They are separate.
We haven't received one.

So if I drive to canada for vacation, and my car has a critical failure of some sort at 10K miles, I have to tow it back to the states for repair?

It's VW's dime. Thier call if they want to tow it 500 miles.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
So if I drive to canada for vacation, and my car has a critical failure of some sort at 10K miles, I have to tow it back to the states for repair?

Yep:cool:
But I would call your dealer from Canada at one of our dealers to have them make the decision.
Don't be surprised if you have to put out the money to get it State side based on faith.
A Canadian on the TDI forum who bought an American TDI had it towed from Canada to US to get Warranty (I think it was a HPFP failure).
Not sure who paid for the tow....think he did.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Your talking something different, they are talking about Canadian cars getting CANADIAN VW warranty.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No you are mis understanding turbo
He is American on vacation in Canada in a stressful situation.
Reread it
Later man
That's a differnent situation than you are in Joe. If you have a US car and in Canada, you will get warranty IF you have warranty coverage, been there with a my only new car I bought, went to the US and the alt died, it was covered under my warranty. When I worked at the dealer, we repaired many US cars under warranty, even recalls. :p

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I agree with the displeasure but I am probably thinkin of something different than you..lol
A person being racked over the coals by VW of Canada would have better luck getting the CBC GO Public involved than trying to appeal to VW of Canada.
I have spoken to reception and they are nasty, even up the corporate ladder, when you are trying to help them from a dealer trying to rip them off they are stubborn and nasty.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=322557&highlight=shift+blame
You need to talk directly to the people who have the power to make a change, politely appeal to them while pointing out all your evidence and see what happens.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410742
The backstory I suspect with Canadians not getting the letter, is that VW negotiated with the NHTSA to extend the warranty rather than having a full-blown recall forced on them. A recall would be difficult because I don't think VW really has a fix for the problem.

Since the NHTSA only has jurisdiction in the US, they probably think they can get away with not covering Canadians.

Personally I'd prefer the extended warranty. It would give me 10,000 km advance warning on when to trade the car. I'm at 135k now and it would mean I could make it to about 185k free of the concern of a $7k fuel system replacement, and that's just under 3 years in which I could save more and be able to afford a nicer car. As it is I doubt I'll go beyond next spring with my TDI. I'm retired, my budget is limited and while I can steadily save for new cars my cash flow can't take $multi k hits too often...

I already had to change the HPFP once out of warranty (it didn't grenade so they only changed the pump), and I managed to negotiate 50% reimbursement by VW, but I'm sure that would go down substantially as mileage increases.

Plus if we got the letter, it would mean I could apply for reimbursement of the other 50% which could go into my savings fund to by my next GASSER. No more DPFs, urea tanks to replenish, failing exhaust flaps and HPFPs (or at least when they fail on a gasser the repair isn't as expensive).

I should point out that my 2007 Passat 2.0T wagon also had an extended warranty on the HPFP; in that case it was the cam follower that would wear through and take out the camshaft. While that was a $2k or so repair, still much cheaper than a TDI HPFP.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a differnent situation than you are in Joe. If you have a US car and in Canada, you will get warranty IF you have warranty coverage, been there with a my only new car I bought, went to the US and the alt died, it was covered under my warranty. When I worked at the dealer, we repaired many US cars under warranty, even recalls. :p
Really....Things might have changed with the grey market being more prevalent...
According to our latest dealer he said they can't get warranty for US cars.
Said they can't touch them.
???
Tah Dah
Knew I remember reading this
Taken from
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854&page=5
American vehicle in Canada towed to US to get warranty coverage
I realise this is third party warranty only valid in US
but I have heard the same thing concerning manufacturers warranty of US cars in Canada.

Year: 2009
Build Date: don't know, car in shop
Make/Model: Jetta sportwagen - US car new in North Carolina but imported by me into Canada Feb 2010 - 6k miles on it when I bought it used from original owner.
Tranny: 6 speed manual
Mileage: 42000 miles/68000 km
Diesel Fuel Source: mostly Shell ULS diesel
Additives: (Never)
Problem: Never had a problem with the engine ever in this car, and have been totally pleased with it until last night. I was aware of checking for metal shaving issue when changing the fuel filter (done 2 months ago at dealer, no shavings). For the first time ever last evening, it hesitated on starting and did not start with first turn, but did on second turn. Drove fine for 1 km when there was a slight hesitation, a weird metalic tinkling noise in the engine bay passenger side, then Engine light and blinking glowplug light came on with a brief info center message saying something like Failure / Workshop. I was 1 km from the dealer and decided to drive straight there. After 1/2 km more (very low power in engine, still making noise but no lights flashing on dash or info message), the engine stopped. I pulled over and it restarted, but 200 meters later stopped again. I was not able to restart and had it towed 1/4 km to dealer.
The fuel tank is 1/4 full and I usually go until warning light comes on before refueling.
Dealer: Queensway VW
Status: Service technician told me today that the fuel pump "exploded" sending metal debris through entire fuel system downstream. Needed to replace everything downstream at $6000. He told me that he has seen this in other cars. This car is now out of warranty (36K US warranty) but I have a third party insurance package transferred from the original owner (Zurich Ins in Washington State). They are sending an "inspector" tomorrow to investigate the claim. Ugggggh.

UPDATE Dec 15, 2012 - Just got my car back from Buffalo ... I had it towed there (thank you CAA AAA) - they did a full fuel system replacement at Northtown VW, all covered under warranty. I don't know what I would have done if this was not covered ... would have been a really big paperweight ... who can afford a $7-10K fix on a "new" tdi for a HPFP failure?
I took some time an google this
From here
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f63/warranty-restrictions-driving-in-canada-86546.html

Warranty Restrictions - Driving in Canada So, thanks to this forum, I have unfortunately decided NOT to purchase a Touareg as my next vehicle.

I live in the USA and have for ten years; however, I travel to Canada (where I am from) often. I was planning on purchasing a Treg in advance of a road-trip vacation to my sister in-law's cottage in Ontario and see my grandparent's in Quebec to celebrate their 90th and 95 year birthdays this July.

To make a long-story short, I stopped the deal at the 11th hour because VW USA informed me that if I had an issue that required warranty work while in Canada, the warranty would only be valid at US dealerships. So, I'd either have to: live with the issue until I got back to the US (could be a serious problem if my issue was safety related); pay to tow the beast back to the US to have it fixed if it was something that prevented me from driving; or, pay out of pocket to have the vehicle fixed at the nearest dealer.

For anyone who drives to Canada, this is a BIG deal.

What is the reason for this stupid warranty restriction? I believe it is to protect Canadian Dealers and VW profits. You see, the 2013 TDI LUX is $15,000 more expensive in Canada ($70,500) than in the US! It seems VW has market-based pricing and they do not want people to arbitrage their pricing strategy by going to the US to buy their vehicles.

I'm sad and angry as a result. Sad, because I thought I had found the perfect vehicle, mad because VW's policy screws it's customers.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, thanks for digging that up. I'd be pissed if I had a VW car under warranty and they refused to fix it because I wasn't in my country.
GM didn't care back in the day and maybe they changed to. That's total BS. :mad:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
VW changed their warranty policy a few years ago - US dealers can't honor CA warranty, but we were instructed to inform customers that VWCA would reimburse them for said repairs. My understanding was the reverse is also true. While I do understand both entities do have a bottom line (including warranty) to protect, I don't know why they couldn't just change the warranty coding to make sure the right company got charged.

BTW @PlaneCrazy - we have had 2 broken camshafts in the last month in 1.8TSI engines. I would wait to see what they figure out. Also just saw a bulletin come up about loose torque converter bolts and replacing the flex plate. There are some teething problems with the new TSI.

Jason

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
BTW @PlaneCrazy - we have had 2 broken camshafts in the last month in 1.8TSI engines. I would wait to see what they figure out. Also just saw a bulletin come up about loose torque converter bolts and replacing the flex plate. There are some teething problems with the new TSI.
Good to know thanks. At least the torque converter bolts won't affect me ;)

But the cam issue is worrying. Maybe I should save a few more pennies and spring for a base GTI...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I see your faith in VW is lacking. :eek:

Can you please explain why ? Are they going to deny HPFP repairs and look for a way out ?
You are correct, I have very little faith in VW or others these days. It seems to be the norm to screw over car owners, I guess they figure we have no other choices! The way VW handled this whole HFPF thing is pretty sad and the new letter just pours salt on an already sore wound, IMHO. We buy diesels to go the distance, the CR's just aren't. You pay a premium for the CR and for that "bonus" and you are getting cheated.

You get an HPFP replacement but nothing else so says the rumour and that's also the way the letter reads, and before, they were doing goodwill for whole shebang. Now, even if you're one mile or one day over, you will get shown the door.

Last edited: