light accelleration=howling/whirring

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I notice over the last 1K miles a noise from what sounds like the front driverside. Light accel mostly. Its not the grinding/growling i read about in the search i did, and once again its under light load, not all the time while coasting, etc.

On saturday im going to get it up on the lift and poke around. Anything i should pay special attention to? I have a new clutch, the outer CV's looked good when I replaced the boots. Maybe inner CV? the trans fluid is fresh as of 181K when i did the clutch. Car has almost 184K now.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
as i get past light throttle and get on it it sounds good up to 4000 rpm id think that would make alot of noise and have low power?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Does the noise change pitch consistent with road speed? Engine speed? Boost pressure?

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
It's pretty much the same. It SEEMS to go away in upper rpms/heavier accel but I think it may be engine noise drowning it out.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Mine has the light growling sort of noise, just very light throttle in or out of gear. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

My experience of the inner cv's is they make a hellish loud clicking noise in a straight line or turning.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Any changes when turning? My driver's side front wheel bearing was almost like differential howl, pretty subtle. I could hear it best when coasting down hill and turning (right).

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I have to check it in a parking lot. Swerving when I hear the racket makes no difference

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Parking lot test a-ok, no noise driving full lock in circles either direction
My wheel bearing failing didn't sound off with simple turning, just long, higher speed turning/cornering. I'd initially thought it was a differential noise.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I put it on the lift yesterday, gave the front end a check, checked wheels for up down left right play, they were fine, grabbed the axles and checked the cv the same way, nothing found. Ran the car while on the lift looked at everything turning, seemed ok. Unfounded at this time, when whatever it is decides to grenade I'll be sure to come back and update. Hopefully not this weekend got about 500 miles of driving to do.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Still about the same, a month later. Drained the trans oil today and it looks metallic. The oil only has about 4k miles on it. Shafts have a bit of up and down play at the transfer case. Guess it will be needing a rebuild soon.