Rear Beam Broke

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
The rear beam broke in my '01 TDI Jetta. It broke where the beam attaches to the frame (on the front side). My tire slid back and is just touching the rear side of my wheel well. I was able to drive it home (about 300 feet).

Without knowing anything else, what should I being doing - looking used? getting new?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Without knowing anything else, what should I being doing - looking used? getting new?
I'd be looking for a newer used one if it were me. That same rear beam was used right up until 2010 on the City Golf/Jettas (I assume they're the same), and some of those are starting to get parted out now too.

Harrington's just parted out an 08 City Golf recently...I only know because it was my co-worker's car. Timing belt broke and the car was worth more in pieces than fixed up.

In any case, it shouldn't be hard to find one...there's about 20 old MK4's on Kijiji getting parted out at any given time.

Rem

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
That is good to know. I just now have to figure out if it is worth it to fix all the issues. I have a few rust holes that need to be fixed along with a leaking/noisy rack and 350k km suspension that is overdue....I can see (at least) a couple grand going into this. Then I still have a 14 year old car...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
That is good to know. I just now have to figure out if it is worth it to fix all the issues. I have a few rust holes that need to be fixed along with a leaking/noisy rack and 350k km suspension that is overdue....I can see (at least) a couple grand going into this. Then I still have a 14 year old car...
You have to base it on replacement costs. What are you going to get for a couple of grand or so?

While age is a factor, it's more so about how well the vehicle is maintained. A two-year-old car can be trashed. In the end the BEST position to be in is one in which you have a well-maintained vehicle (and keep it that way).

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
This is always an issue isn't it?...Trying to decide, and justify spending more money on an old car. I get it. Uhoh makes a good point too.

If it makes you feel any better, I've spent more than a couple grand on my 03 Golf in the past six months. New turbo, new cylinder head and timing belt job, new DMF clutch and all new engine mounts, new starter, etc, etc.

I paid $2500 for the car....and I'm into it for well over $5000 now. I have a hard time justifying spending the money every single time...but...on the up side, I have no car payments, and cheap insurance. The car doesn't burn (or leak) a drop of oil, and I can get 54 MPG (US) on the highway with it...or roughly 1300 km per tank.

Take some time to evaluate the rest of the car...some of them are worth dumping money into, some of them are not.

Rem

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
The body work is what is bothering me with the decision making. I am pretty good with mechanical maintenance, but I am not one to maintain the body. Now it is coming back to bite me in the @$$.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
So I was told that any axle beam will replace my beam from model years 2000 to 2010 (City versions, anyways).

upon searching junk yards there are 3 different options:
SW (I assume this is the wagon)
0BC - 17mm stabilizer
0BB - 21.7mm stabilizer

Will any of these beams work in my Jetta or do I need a specific one?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Thought I'd posted a response... You can see if the part numbers are the same by looking them up at/from partsbase.org.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem is that I don't have my Jetta in front of me...
Here is what I found at partsbase.org:

1 1J0500051J rear axle beam with; stabilizer; also use:; comprising:; item:; 21,7MM; 1J0 501 541 C; 8,11; PR-0BB+0N1 1
1 1J0500051L rear axle beam with; stabilizer; also use:; 18MM; 1J0 501 541 C; PR-0BC+0N5

I guess there are two axle beams...unbeknownst to everyone I have talked to. I have emailed my mech to try to figure out which one I have.

Last edited:

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
This is always an issue isn't it?...Trying to decide, and justify spending more money on an old car. I get it. Uhoh makes a good point too.

If it makes you feel any better, I've spent more than a couple grand on my 03 Golf in the past six months. New turbo, new cylinder head and timing belt job, new DMF clutch and all new engine mounts, new starter, etc, etc.

I paid $2500 for the car....and I'm into it for well over $5000 now. I have a hard time justifying spending the money every single time...but...on the up side, I have no car payments, and cheap insurance. The car doesn't burn (or leak) a drop of oil, and I can get 54 MPG (US) on the highway with it...or roughly 1300 km per tank.

Take some time to evaluate the rest of the car...some of them are worth dumping money into, some of them are not.

Rem
And I am in the same boat, but at some point, I have to cut ties...I don't think it is time yet though.... :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The problem is that I don't have my Jetta in front of me...
Here is what I found at partsbase.org:

1 1J0500051J rear axle beam with; stabilizer; also use:; comprising:; item:; 21,7MM; 1J0 501 541 C; 8,11; PR-0BB+0N1 1
1 1J0500051L rear axle beam with; stabilizer; also use:; 18MM; 1J0 501 541 C; PR-0BC+0N5

I guess there are two axle beams...unbeknownst to everyone I have talked to. I have emailed my mech to try to figure out which one I have.

The one with the biggest bar, that's what I did although on this side of the pond I got mine from a skoda octavia vrs.

Any of the mk4 beams fit anyway, gti or maybe gls you guys get will maybe have the bigger bar if you want it.

Personally I'm very pleased with it.

Only one question though, how did you manage to break a rear beam axle? :eek:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
If it's just the bolt that failed, you should be fine fixing your old beam. If you do get a used beam, make sure it's from a non-accident car, get the 21.7mm sway bar and replace the bushing while it's off the car.

if the beam is from a 2010 car, then I'd keep the bushings. I'm getting ready to replace my rear beam bushing soon.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This city golf then, they built a newer golf but instead of using the mk5 rear suspension set up they stuck with the mk4 set up? How bizarre and un German like :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
VW wasn't thinking of Germany with the City. They were thinking of South Korea and how to not price themselves too far above the Ki-undai offerings.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Good info, thanks guys.

The axle beam broke half way between the beam and the mount to the car. It is rather distorted/crumpled as well. The break has been a long time coming because most of the break was rusty. Very very little was still fresh looking.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
This city golf then, they built a newer golf but instead of using the mk5 rear suspension set up they stuck with the mk4 set up? How bizarre and un German like :D
It wasn't really a newer Golf...it was the same old Mk4 that it had always been. They sold them in Canada (and some other countries perhaps) right up to 2010....however, from 2007-up, they were only available with the 2.0L gas engine. No TDI. The 2008-2010 models had different headlights and tail lights, more along the lines of the newer Golfs...but the chassis and everything else was still good old fashioned Mk4 stuff;). Same thing with he Mk4 Jetta as well. They're everywhere here...like the plague...lol:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ck/1068914354?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Good info, thanks guys.

The axle beam broke half way between the beam and the mount to the car. It is rather distorted/crumpled as well. The break has been a long time coming because most of the break was rusty. Very very little was still fresh looking.
There's a guy in Chester Basin that should have a rear beam for you...have you talked to him? I was there picking up some parts last night.

He has 9 Mk4 cars he's parting out...couple wagons, the rest are Jettas. About half and half TDI and gas engines. Every one of them would have a rear beam to fit your car. He may even install it for you...not sure.

Lots of the Mk4 TDI cars with the auto trannys go straight to the junk yard when they quit...kind of a sin really, some of them are even pretty low mileage...in TDI terms.

Rem

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
VW wasn't thinking of Germany with the City. They were thinking of South Korea and how to not price themselves too far above the Ki-undai offerings.
Yes - I was just in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, where you can still buy a brand new City Jetta, called a Classico, for 140,000 pesos, roughly $10,000 US.

They don't even have airbags on this model in Mexico :eek:

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
Picking up a rear beam local for $125. My mechanic will swap it over next week. What else do I need that can't transfer over? Bearings, bushings, etc?

Much appreciated.

I think I have a line on an 2003 Audi A4 Quattro too. It doesn't need any body work and it looks to be in pretty good shape. Its a V6 so I would take a huge hit on fuel $$.

Going to fix the Jetta regardless (and maybe sell it).

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
When I did my rear bushings I picked a used one at a local yard for $30, painted it up nice put in the new bushings and just swapped it out. I then scrapped the old one, that was about 3 years ago. It seems the prices for used beams have really gone up.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I didn't price shop, I might be getting hosed...
The cheapest I found was in Delaware for $90, pick up only. In Maryland, I found a place for $100.00. Includes stub axle, wheel bearings and splash shields. No calipers or rotors

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
My mechanic has said that he had never seen an axle beam rust out where mine had broke. Two days later, someone had brought their TDI in for an inspection and he was about to pass it and then he went back to the axle and tapped it with a hammer. Next thing you know, the rust had broken off and there was a crack all the way around in pretty much the same location where mine broke.

Two axles in three days...and probably more to come as the MKIV's get old.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Picking up a rear beam local for $125. My mechanic will swap it over next week. What else do I need that can't transfer over? Bearings, bushings, etc?

Much appreciated.

I think I have a line on an 2003 Audi A4 Quattro too. It doesn't need any body work and it looks to be in pretty good shape. Its a V6 so I would take a huge hit on fuel $$.

Going to fix the Jetta regardless (and maybe sell it).
You are fretting whether to fix the TDI but you want an Audi ?
That car will nickel and dime you

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh I like audi's but man they're a pain in the butt to sort and pricey with having so many parts per strut up front. Can't beat a mk4 for the simplicity imo.

Last edited:

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
I am getting the TDI back on the road with the axle. Going to decide whether to fix it and keep it for my daughter, or sell it.

I bought a '11 Sonata (eeek) for a stable family car (hopefully). The Audi was just too much risk as well.