New intercooler & pipes installed, higher boost at idle and crusing now?

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I just installed the Darkside upgraded SMIC w/ 2'' piping kit on my BEW which still has the KP39 turbo installed (vnt17 coming soon). Running an RC1 tune.

The intercooler is roughly 50% bigger than the original + added volume from the new 2'' piping. My IAT decreased about 10-15 F degrees now going down the highway and it cools down extremely fast.

What I've noticed on my scangauge II is that the boot pressure reading is now higher at idle and on cruise control @70mph by about .7-1.0 PSI. I used to boost about 1.3-1.6 with the factory IC/pipes @70mph. Now I'm seeing about 2.0-2.6. Idle is also up around 1.3 psi from around .8 psi.

I'm trying to make sense of why this is happening. I've actually noticed in the past boost would be higher when it's really cold out, but not by this much.

Is it as simple as the OEM piping was probably leaking at a few joints and causing pressure loss? The old interconnects definitely wept some oil, so it wasn't air tight sealed. The new system is sealed up extremely well. Or is it the system is just more efficient at moving air so I'm seeing higher pressures at the MAP sensor.

Where I'm more confused is I would think that if the ecu is calling for X specified boost, then it should get very close to that number. Even if there were leaks before the MAP sensor on the stock setup, the turbo would just work harder to pump more air out to compensate. With that considered, I'm not sure why the PSI would go up. The ecu map calls for x pressure and adjusts the VNT actuator until it reaches that, no? Regardless of leaks or efficiency, it should be at the target boost psi?

I have some old vcds logs measuring rpm, boost, duty cycle etc. Haven't grabbed a new log yet to compare the values. Unfortunately, the logs are mostly WOT pulls and not cruising.

I'm not overboosting at WOT and the engine definitely is pulling faster and feels less restricted. No boost leaks that I have found either.

On another note, the Darkside kit arrived in 1 day from the UK, installed effortlessly and perfectly. Super happy with fit, finish and performance!

Last edited:

Jason Rowe

TDI
Jetta mk 4, Golf mk 4
Re: Intercooler mounting

Hi I am assuming you did all this to your 04 jetta? The intercoolers are front mount, there is hardly any space behind the bumper for a bigger intercooler! How did you manage to mount a bigger intercooler?

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
I had the same exact issue on my PD. I upgraded to a tacotaco, pancake pipe lower and 2" aluminum upper pipe.

Beforehand the boost requested vs actual tracked extremely accurate. I'm talking within 1%.

After the change it's erratic. Usually up about 3% across the board. Up at idle as well.

I then changed to a VNT17 and 3 bar sensor. I got a Malone Stage 4 tune. The requested vs actual is back to 1% again and correct at idle.

TDI
2005 BORA Kombi PD
Hi I am assuming you did all this to your 04 jetta? The intercoolers are front mount, there is hardly any space behind the bumper for a bigger intercooler! How did you manage to mount a bigger intercooler?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=441095

my how to thread shows how it fits....

I am running the KP39 as well + Malone 1.5 tune. The "pancake pipe" is VERY restrictive so the turbo was not physically "allowed" to spool up as well. With the upgraded piping options the pressure is a bit more as the turbo had little restricting the flow. I think that the KP39 is balanced for the back pressure.

for the normally aspirated motor heads know that if you increase the exhaust pipes, this can sometimes have a negative effect on the engine power if not done correctly.

This in mind (and I would think people will ridicule me for this) I would think that the KP39 spooled better and was controlled better with the wastegate with the back pressure the pancake pipe provided. Since that is open - the wastegate cannot "keep up" properly.

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I had the same exact issue on my PD. I upgraded to a tacotaco, pancake pipe lower and 2" aluminum upper pipe.

Beforehand the boost requested vs actual tracked extremely accurate. I'm talking within 1%.

After the change it's erratic. Usually up about 3% across the board. Up at idle as well.

I then changed to a VNT17 and 3 bar sensor. I got a Malone Stage 4 tune. The requested vs actual is back to 1% again and correct at idle.
Glad I'm not the only one. Figured it might be tuning related. My VNT17 goes in this weekend then new tune and 3bar soon after.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
Glad I'm not the only one. Figured it might be tuning related. My VNT17 goes in this weekend then new tune and 3bar soon after.
Wait a minute, that 3 bar needs to go in at the time of tuning to allow the tuner to maximize output.

The trick is that you can't install the 3 bar without having a tune. I installed mine in Andrew's parking lot while I waited for Mark Malone to send back the tune file.