Regen every day? Is this right?

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I drive a 2013 Passat TDI with 60000 miles so I drive 30K a year. My daily commute is 30 miles mostly highway plus when I visit customers I often drive 200-300 in a day. Mostly interstate miles. I noticed last week that nearly everyday when I got home after the 30 mile commute that the car was in regen. Is this normal? Or maybe it is starting and not able to finish before my commute.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I drive a 2013 Passat TDI with 60000 miles so I drive 30K a year. My daily commute is 30 miles mostly highway plus when I visit customers I often drive 200-300 in a day. Mostly interstate miles. I noticed last week that nearly everyday when I got home after the 30 mile commute that the car was in regen. Is this normal? Or maybe it is starting and not able to finish before my commute.
My regens typically occur in the 265-280 mile range; what you're describing is normal for my operating conditions.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...and it's not an "exact science", as the regen is based on soot load, not miles driven. So, shorter trips, cold starts, etc, build more soot.
"...nearly everyday..." sounds normal, based on your description of your driving style.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Are you using a scan gauge to monitor the exhaust temps, or is the fan simply running after you turn the car off?

Whenever the coolant is above 212*F (which happens easily on warm days) the fans will turn until the engine cools some.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
How are you determining that the car is in regeneration?

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
How are you determining that the car is in regeneration?

Good question. I think I am just assuming it is because the "hot" smell and the fact the fan runs after I cut it off. It doesn't run after every time I get out of the car but nearly every day after work lately. Maybe because its warming up outside and it is 5-6pm when its the hot part of the day.

I dont have a scan gauge but am thinking of getting on of those OBDII blue tooth plug in deals

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Like compu_85 said, the fans will run any time the coolant is over 212F, so that isn't a reliable indicator of a regen. Time to invest in an OBDII gauge. :)

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Good question. I think I am just assuming it is because the "hot" smell and the fact the fan runs after I cut it off. It doesn't run after every time I get out of the car but nearly every day after work lately. Maybe because its warming up outside and it is 5-6pm when its the hot part of the day.
I dont have a scan gauge but am thinking of getting on of those OBDII blue tooth plug in deals
My fan will continue to run if I have the AC on and it's a hot day and if I don't take 1minute to let the car cool down and turn the AC off.

I know it's not a regen because I have an uptragauge and temp is never over 250C.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Are you letting it finish the regen, or shutting down?

Maybe you just never let it finish so it starts again over & over which would be very bad.

If regen then idle should be about 100 RPM higher than normal.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Hey PowerSlavePA- seems like you should be able to squeeze in a few episodes of Comedians in cars ...coffee ?

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England