stick with G52 in your tranny - here's why...

BLKGTTDI

TDI
Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI
any of the SM fluids will work fine in your box ... i've used them in 02M's with no issue
Cheers for the info jimbote. Just ordered 3 bottles of Penn SM I'll post up the results after a couple weeks!

stamar

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
is there anyone at all that can tell me if bought the right manual trans fluid for my 2005 bew tdi jetta

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
So what is the OEM fluid for the 6 speed 2015 TDIs?

(Are there pictures and or videos describing the process of replacing the MT fluid in Golfs?)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My 2011 golf w 02Q trans has 105 k miles. I will be replacing the fluid soon with 1 quart pennzoil synchro mesh and 1.25? quarts valvoline full synthetic 75w-90. I'm not too concerned about compatibility issues. Yes, I am a wild man. Not a suggestion, just what i will be doing w/ my car. Will post back how it works.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm pretty sure the 02Q transmission requires 3 liters of oil for a drain and refill.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I have 1 quart of synchromesh, and 2 quarts of the synthetic 75w-90 sitting in the garage. If three quarts is a bit shy of full, i will probably top off w ATF. The car shifts like new as is, but I have a hard time believing in a lifetime fill.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I just dumped the Pennzoil 75W-90 synthetic after 75K miles and put in Synchromesh. it is smoother
Car has 375K and tranny fluid always exchanged every 90-100K

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Only the original OEM fill (I forget the G number for that- which was full synthetic) was as smooth as synchromesh in both cold and hot temperatures.

The newer G70 was good in the cold but notchy when it got hot. It was analyzed to be THINNER than synchromesh which is around an "80". The oem 75w90 spec was just a name, even the original G synthetic was thinner!

vitza

TDI
2000 golf
does anyone have any updates regarding Synchromesh vs synthetic GL-4?

specifically in use on the 02J 5-speeds...

im kinda curious what the results are after people put some miles on the trannies and if there are any wear/failure issues.

lots of great info here, just having a hard time choosing between the synchromesh vs amsoil gl-4 or vw g70/g50.... so many choices:confused:

Last edited:

tdi.in.va

TDI
1Z
I've always used a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and Redline MT-90. Yes, it's more viscous than the VW G50/G51/G52 fluids. This is in VW's from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. Havent owned anything newer than that.

Having never experienced a manual transmission failure in a VW, even after 300,000+ of driving with this MTL/MT-90 combination, I think it's safe to say there no harm in it. Of course the VW OE fluid may well deliver the same longevity. At a fraction of the price however, the Redline fluid is a better value than OE.

IMO the fluid selected is of lesser importance than actually changing it. I've bought many used VW's and I always change the gear oil right away. Considering how cheap and easy this fluid change is to DIY, I'm amazed at how many of them drain out a foul brown/black color as if it's never been changed. Change the gear oil every 30k - 60k (depending on your driving conditions), and the gearbox will last forever.

F6Hawk

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
Ok, so I found this kit available: http://www.idparts.com/dsg-transmission-service-kit-40k-p-941.html

Just so no one gets caught up in the mess I made, please ensure you put BOTH your state and zip code in the shipping estimator. If you just put zip, you will not see the cheapest shipping methods. If you just put state, you will not see the "specialized", faster shipping methods.

Kudos to the great folks at IDparts dot com for offering up this good deal for us TDI owners!

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A

carkey351

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed 157K(to replace 09 when it goes away)2009 Jetta 6 speed-414K (and climbing), 2002 chevy duramax (303k and climbing).
have used syncromesh fluid for last 40k in a 390k car and it is great. factory fill is junk. When i got car at 360k i dumped fluid and put in the factory fill thinking it was better. it was notchy and junk shifting. then i put syncromesh in and its wonderful. I think previous owner was running syncromesh but didn't tell me. when i got the car it shifted like it does with syncromesh....for what it is worth.

BLKGTTDI

TDI
Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI
Brought forward from post 236. One new VW fluid - G052911 - thanks to LC.

(Manual Tranny Fluids)

VI Vis@40C Vis@100C
128 159.0 18.3 = AMSOIL CTL SAE 50 Powershift GL-1
..............16.7 = Motul MOTYLGEAR 75-90 GL-4/-5
..............15.6 = VW G50/G51
GL-4
185 90.0 15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90 GL-4
..............15.2 = Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90
GL-5
..............15.2 = Motul Gear 300 75-90
GL-4/-5
..............15.0 = Elf Tranself Synthese FE 75-90
GL-4/-5
132 116.0 14.9 = AMSOIL AGL 80W-90
GL-5
177 84.5 14.7 = AMSOIL MTG 75-90
GL-4
..... 76.6 14.2 = VW G052-911
133 76.2 11.0 = AMSOIL CTJ SAE 30 Powershift GL-1

183 56.2 10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80 GL-4
194 47.1 9.6 = AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh Trans fluid (GM/Chrysler) GL-?

208 41.6 9.1 = Penzoil Synchromesh trans fluid GL-?
198 34.0 7.5 = Redline D4 ATF Dexron III / Mercon / API GL-4
138 40.5 7.1 = AMSOIL CTG SAE 10W Powershift GL-1
..... 31.2 6.5 = VW G-052-171-A2 GL-?
..... 35.1 6.4 = VW G-055-726-A2 GL-?
..............6.3 = VW G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601) GL-?

I'm interested as to how the above information was obtained for the VW 052 171 A2?

According to this
http://www.vwparts.com/pdf/VW-fluid-capacity-chart-2003.pdf

G 052 171 A2 is reffered to as a SAE 75W90, surely that would make it thicker than 6.5 at 100C? Would an oil thats 6.5 at 100C be more like SAE 70W75?

Last edited:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
They sent the fluid for oil analysis.
Yep VW spec says 75w90 but is thinner than 70w80!

Thats why running a 75w90 aftermarket synethic was giving shift issues for some. It was assumed that the VW fluid was superior, until found that they "liedv about viscosity!

GM or Penzoil Syncromesh works best and doesnt have the hot shifting issues that OEM VW had for me.

Last edited:

BLKGTTDI

TDI
Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI
They sent the fluid for oil analysis.
Yep VW spec says 75w90 but is thinner than 70w80!

Thats why running a 75w90 aftermarket synethic was giving shift issues for some. It was assumed that the VW fluid was superior, until found that they "liedv about viscosity!

GM or Penzoil Syncromesh works best and doesnt have the hot shifting issues that OEM VW had for me.
Thank you for this information it's been really helpful.

BLKGTTDI

TDI
Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI
I'm not sure if Andy is still around here but these comments interest me.

I really like the way the G052 171 shifts and I like what it does for mileage. (update: 4000 miles after installation, it's taking more force to get into first from a stop.
And..

I've been switching fluids in my car over the past couple of years and have found that it takes 4000-5000 miles for shift feel to settle down after a change.
How can it take up to 5000 miles for a gearbox/transmission to adapt to a new fill of a different oil and change characteristics during that time?

Just interested.. Thx!

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
The stock VW fluid is very thin and I have noticed that in hot weather or when fully heated after a long drive it was a bit crunchy into 1st and sometimes 2nd. It got worse with time, making me think that the fluid was shearing (thinning out).
Before then, I ran Redline MT-90 which was notchy (because 75w90 is not the proper viscosity as we found out), and redline MTL which was pretty good but not as good as the oldie OEM VW synthetic factory fill in my '01 (g050 IIRC?). It wasn't until I went to the syncromesh fluids that I got back that almost perfect feel of the old type OEM VW synthetic

Thinner means better mileage though. I just don't like that the OEM VW is around the viscosity of ATF!

Settling in could be from the additives used to help the syncros grab. This sometimes takes time depending on the additive. Some additives come to life after so many heat cycles.

I still have some of the latest version OEM fluid and it mentions some special chemical on the back label. Like automatic trannies have friction modifiers to help the clutch packs smoothly grab, manual transmissions can be picky with their syncros not grabbing fast enough or too fast.

From the history of GM's Syncromesh fluids, they had a problem with the corvette transmissions grinding some gears (IIRC 5th,6th?) using the stock ATF type fluid (close to viscosity of OEM VW). Syncromesh fixed the issues. I have also had good results using syncromesh in BMW's that spec'ed ATF like fluids. My friend was ready to take apart his tranny to rebuild the syncros until I got him to try it! I also read that it helped other picky notchy transmissions, such as the 3000GT/Stealth (which is known to be "made of glass" lol).

The Pennzoil syncromesh has been known to be not as long lasting as the GM one. I got the GM "friction modified" version on ebay. The regular is fine too, I just wanted to try the FM version last time.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just did a gear oil change in my wagon last weekend as I was starting to have a little difficulty on downshifting from 5th to 4th. I had about 30K on the oil that was in there. Replaced it with Liqui-Moly 75w90 GL5 and a half can of Ceratec. I have no idea whether or not the Ceratec is worth it, but it makes me feel better.

It's warm here right now so I have to take that into consideration, but my car is noticeably quieter. Odd, since I didn't really notice transmission noise before. And shifting is much improved.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
From the history of GM's Syncromesh fluids, they had a problem with the corvette transmissions grinding some gears (IIRC 5th,6th?) using the stock ATF type fluid (close to viscosity of OEM VW). Syncromesh fixed the issues. I have also had good results using syncromesh in BMW's that spec'ed ATF like fluids. My friend was ready to take apart his tranny to rebuild the syncros until I got him to try it! I also read that it helped other picky notchy transmissions, such as the 3000GT/Stealth (which is known to be "made of glass" lol).

The Pennzoil syncromesh has been known to be not as long lasting as the GM one. I got the GM "friction modified" version on ebay. The regular is fine too, I just wanted to try the FM version last time.

When I was focused more on building my honda's back in the early/mid 2000's, GM syncromesh was the fluid to use on those particular and notchy honda D-B series transmissions.

I have yet to put it into my 03 wagon but I am looking forward to it.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I just drained the GM Synchromesh from my 02M and replaced it with G070 and found that it shifts much "cleaner" and the 1-2 shift that has been stiff for the last 50k miles is now just like the others. There's a distinct and consistent feel as you disengage one gear and then engage the other that was never there with the synchromesh.

Now, to the recent posts about the G070 being "crunchy" when hot, we'll see how that goes this summer.

For reference, on my 02J, I ran a wide variety of fluids in that over the 170k miles I had it, G052, Redline MTF, Redline D4 ATF and finally the G070 (there might have been another Redline in there somewhere?).

The D4 ATF and G070 were by far my favorite - very smooth and consistent shifts, good feel, etc. The G052, and MTF were ok and if I had never tried the D4 or G070 I would have thought they were just fine. In the cold the G052 and MTF were really stiff for the first 3-4 shifts whereas the D4 and G070 were much less stiff on the 1st shift and almost normal after the 2nd or 3rd shift. No hot issues with the D4 or G070 either and I do a lot of trailer pulling which will heat up the oil more than just driving along.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, just my experiences.

BLKGTTDI

TDI
Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI
Settling in could be from the additives used to help the syncros grab. This sometimes takes time depending on the additive. Some additives come to life after so many heat cycles.
This is interesting. Is this actually a "thing"? I've often wondered if oil itself has to "break in" as such. Do additives really need heat and cooling cycles to begin to function properly?

BLKGTTDI

TDI
Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI
I just drained the GM Synchromesh from my 02M and replaced it with G070 and found that it shifts much "cleaner" and the 1-2 shift that has been stiff for the last 50k miles is now just like the others. There's a distinct and consistent feel as you disengage one gear and then engage the other that was never there with the synchromesh.

Now, to the recent posts about the G070 being "crunchy" when hot, we'll see how that goes this summer.

For reference, on my 02J, I ran a wide variety of fluids in that over the 170k miles I had it, G052, Redline MTF, Redline D4 ATF and finally the G070 (there might have been another Redline in there somewhere?).

The D4 ATF and G070 were by far my favorite - very smooth and consistent shifts, good feel, etc. The G052, and MTF were ok and if I had never tried the D4 or G070 I would have thought they were just fine. In the cold the G052 and MTF were really stiff for the first 3-4 shifts whereas the D4 and G070 were much less stiff on the 1st shift and almost normal after the 2nd or 3rd shift. No hot issues with the D4 or G070 either and I do a lot of trailer pulling which will heat up the oil more than just driving along.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, just my experiences.
Thanks for your experience. Is the G070... oil even thinner than the G052... oil do you know? Cheers.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The G070 is for sure thinner than the G052, but I don't have the data at hand to quantify it and I didn't see it in a quick scan of this thread though it's probably in here somewhere.

Put a liter of each in the freezer overnight and shake them both in the morning.