Soot Load

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Hey all,

I have read a bunch about monitoring options with the Scan Gauge II, but haven't run across an answer to this one...

Can I add a gauge to measure DPF soot load? If so, what parameters are you using?

Thanks!

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Busydiver,

I have a ScanGauge. Was looking to add soot loading to it if possible. Was just thinking it would be nice to see where the soot load is at when she goes into regen... I am going to drop an email to Linear Logic just to explore it with them. Can't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
I dropped them an email. I will post back when I hear from them. They have always been very responsive to questions, so I would think ill hear back early to mid week.

Until then, cheers!

Aaron

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Update with Coding

Hey all,

I indicated I would follow-up, so here's an update. James, with Linear Logic, and I have been passing emails back and forth. I apologize, James sent the first iteration last week, while I was in Charlotte on buisiness. So I didnt get a chance to try that first iteration until Thursday last week. Today he sent me an update after the last iteration would return a value "0" when under normal driving and "1" during a regen. He modified that last iteration and now I am seeing something.

Here is a pic of my SGII from my commute home, showing the DPF Load (I called it "SOT" in the lower right quadrant of the gauge) at 37%.

I have not had a chance to verify. Based on my average mileage between regens, the car should go into its next regen tomorrow on my commute home. I'll also hook up to VCDS when I get a chance.

Anyway, here is the coding:
[FONT=&quot]DPF Soot Load (%)
TXD: 07E0018B
RXF: 0541068B0000
RXD: 4008
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: SOT or maybe SUT or whatever makes sense to you....

If anyone tries it out and has a chance to verify, please post back here.

C[FONT=&quot]h[/FONT]eers[FONT=&quot]![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Aaron[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yay, Aaron! I'm going to code my scangauge in my 2014 Passat, see what comes up!

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Yay, Aaron! I'm going to code my scangauge in my 2014 Passat, see what comes up!
Sweet! I know its not displaying in grams, so I would like to correlate the percentage to gr of load. I have read many posts indicating most folks see regens at 16.5 gr, some as high as 23gr, so the more folks that try it, we can get some data and draw some corollaries to loading in the DPF.

Cheers!

Aaron

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Since my exhaust flap seems to have given up on my current trip it would be nice to know what my soot load is now before I get 100 miles between nowhere. I think I will try to set mine in the morning.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WooHoo!!! Programmed the ScanGauge according to ABS' numbers from SG, and showed 80 for the soot load. Drove a few miles (8-10?), surprisingly, the next time I looked, it was at 100, and EGT temp was over 1200f (cruising @ 65mph, fully warm engine).
After regen finished, soot load number showed 23.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Got mine to work this morning.

Unfortunately, if I can't regen because of the exhaust flapper, I doubt I am going to. Make it back to DE tomorrow.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Here are a few pics. The first shows the SGII during a regen. Just prior to the regen, the soot load was 62% and once it went into regen the soot number jumped to 100%. My apology for the pic, the sun was shining and I couldn't get an angle without the glare.

Then as it finished, the soot load percentage dropped to 13%

Again, if any of you have time to log the actual loading in grams via VCDS, feel free to send me any data including load in grams from VCDS and % load from SGII before and after the regen, and I would be happy to compile the data to get a correlation.

Also, if any of you just want a simple indicator for a regen instead of using both EGT (pre Turbo) and DPF temp numbers, and would like one gauge to determine if a regen is occurring. Which would free up a gauge for another data point, use this coding:

[FONT=&quot]Regen? Yes/No
TXD: 07E0018B
RXF: 0541068B0000
RXD: 3808
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: RGN[/FONT]

A "Zero" (0) value means your car is operating normally. A "One" (1) value means your car is in a regen cycle.

Cheers,

Aaron

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Since my exhaust flap seems to have given up on my current trip it would be nice to know what my soot load is now before I get 100 miles between nowhere. I think I will try to set mine in the morning.
The exhaust flap will not keep your DPF regen cycle.

Mine was locked up, and I drove from VA to VT and back, watching a couple elevated exhaust temp cycles.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Found that out one way to the dealer this afternoon. Soot hot 100% and the regen kicked in at full temp. What is the exhaust flap do then? Feel like I may be waiting $500 for the repair that does not seem to be covered by warranty.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The exhaust flap regulates airflow through the system to maximize regeneration efficiency. The computer may be able to do a regen without it for a period of time, but you having a long-term broken exhaust flap will cause problems.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Can't complain too much... After 62k mostly trouble free miles, this is the first I have paid for anything beyond routine maintenance. Still have to occasional NOx gremlin that shows up but I will continue to clear them until they become more than just every 2-5k miles.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I loaded the parameters for percent of soot this afternoon, and she showed 69% when I cranked her up to test my entries. I think this is going to be very helpful in "seeing" re-gens coming.
Many thanks to the OP!

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Just programmed mine up, called it SLD. It's currently at 78 so I will try to pay attention to it.

Thanks ABS

Still wish we could get a reading to flash when it hits a parameter. The eye will typically pick up a flash. Even with the scan gage set up I rarely catch a regen while on the freeway, it's only when I glance as I get close to my destination that I am really watching. This may help catch more. Pretty slick.:D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(just contacted LinearLogic, hoping they had a similar XGauge for my 09...no such luck...sigh...)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The exhaust flap regulates airflow through the system to maximize regeneration efficiency. The computer may be able to do a regen without it for a period of time, but you having a long-term broken exhaust flap will cause problems.

careful read of the self study program reveals that the exhaust flap is used to regulate EGR, and is used in the regen for NOX.

DPF regen is regulated by intake restriction, and fuel injection.

the responsible driver will want them all fixed and working properly.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Many thanks to the OP!
Just programmed mine up, called it SLD. It's currently at 78 so I will try to pay attention to it.
Thanks ABS
Cool information! :)
Very welcome guys. No Worries, that's why we're here right! HerkGuy I agree on the flash/blink, but its not an option on the SGII. You may try the "On/Off" indicator I posted. Your eye might catch that zero turning to a 1..? maybe.

WooHoo!!! Programmed the ScanGauge according to ABS' numbers from SG, and showed 80 for the soot load. Drove a few miles (8-10?), surprisingly, the next time I looked, it was at 100, and EGT temp was over 1200f (cruising @ 65mph, fully warm engine).
After regen finished, soot load number showed 23.
Mines been through four regens since I programmed the X-Gauge. My consistent "trigger" point is a load of 62%. Its interesting to see that point different between the cars for those who've posted their numbers, considering those of us that have had all the software updates, share the same programming. Certainly driving style is a big factor, but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for posting the formula! I will try this in Torque.
Did it work?

Thanks for the feedback folks. I am happy many of you found it useful!

Cheers,

Aaron

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I know I shouldn't have, but I put about 5K miles on my car with the exhaust flap stuck and causing a CEL, no apparent issues. I bought a new exhaust flap and gaskets from 1st VW parts for about $250. Be careful, some parts places are listing the wrong part numbers. The latest rev that I know about is "G", some places are still listing rev "D" as being correct.
I have an old rev of ScanGauge that is now sitting in a box ready to be shipped out for upgrade. Can't wait until I get it back so I can program in these latest codes.

Costello

TDI
no longer
So far no luck, coded the regen and the soot load, but the SGII returns no value for either, the field just stays blank.
I have double checked the config, and it matches what was posted.. :confused:
Is it not a feature compatible with the '12 model? Or is there a rev needed on the SGII?

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
So far no luck, coded the regen and the soot load, but the SGII returns no value for either, the field just stays blank.
I have double checked the config, and it matches what was posted.. :confused:
Is it not a feature compatible with the '12 model? Or is there a rev needed on the SGII?
How old is your SGII? You may need an update. Check your firmware version. The most current version is 4.13, these gauges may not be supported if you have an earlier version.

Follow this link, as it has the instructions for checking your version and instructions to get your SGII upgraded with the latest firmware. http://www.scangauge.com/support/upgrade/

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Harrumph. Soot load number quickly went from 23 to 100, probably less than 65 miles city driving. Soot load now says 100, I've driven 10 miles, fully warm, and no regen.

Gee..."Linear Logic" might not be so "linear" after all! HAHA!!!