When will we see the 2016 Passat?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I've tried using phone nav, but between the tiny screen and low volume level, I personally think they will never replace an in-dash unit. Especially with states clamping down even harder on using a phone in-hand. My current phone (Nokia 920) can't seem to keep the battery full even when plugged into the car power if I'm using the nav. I will say it worked great when I took my daughter to London a couple of years ago to study abroad. Since I didn't want to pay for data roaming, the Nokia can download maps from all over the world and just use its GPS. But I was only on foot there. Wasn't going to try figure out that driving on the left nonsense!:p

I bought a cheap TomTom a number of years ago for traveling on business. The Gov didn't want to pay for renting one with a car, and I didn't like trying to get around with paper maps. I got totally lost leaving Philadelphia airport trying to find my way to Atlantic City at 11PM one trip. At least with the TomTom I can put it up in the windshield to keep it in my line of sight. Yeah, there are mounts for phones, but I prefer the TomTom in that scenario.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I have a note 3 which does make it easier to see. I run it through the cars built in BT so I get voice directions on what to do-I'd rather have it tell me to turn left in 800 feet than having to rely on looking at a screen on my GPS. I have a regular GPS as well, but don't see the need for it any more. As far as data usage goes, I have an unlimited plan. There are a few options for smart phones that only need a one time download as stated in a previous post.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
both Apple carplay and android audio will fully support screen mirroring, so your phones nav will show up on the 2016's rumored 12" screen if they allow full support. I work for the largest wireless provider in the world (cannot name drop) and get to play with every single phone for several days. as for navigation, I prefer Google nav. I still have a Nuvi that I use on the water and on long trips, the stand alone Garmin re-routes much quicker and is smarter when it comes to things such as truck parking, hours, ect :D

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Once Apple or Android get their car systems deployed, that will likely change my opinion. I also have an unlimited data plan, so that doesn't concern me. If I'm not listening to music from my phone, I can't have just the nav voice over BT. So there's no way to have the directions and music at the same time.

With screen mirroring, I think things will certainly change for the better.

And the government just replaced my Blackberry with an iPhone 5S, so I'm ready for the new systems!

Last edited:

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
waze for the win

If they go with Apple Carplay you won't need a nav system because your smart phone will be the nav system. I'll take Waze any day over a built in system.
+1

Ron

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I also have an unlimited data plan, so that doesn't concern me.
Uh oh, you better PM me, no one has unlimited data, everyone has a hidden cap- even cable providers like Comcast
Anyway back on track, man I cannot wait for the 2016's and also start the math game of more payments of get this one free and clear :D

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Given VW's history don't be surprised if you give a few things up when they do an upgrade to the car. I"m still slightly peeved that my GTI, which stickered for 4K more than the Passat has neither the power driver seat or the mirror that adjusts when people come up behind you with headlights that blind you. The auto dim was very nice sometimes.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Given VW's history don't be surprised if you give a few things up when they do an upgrade to the car. I"m still slightly peeved that my GTI, which stickered for 4K more than the Passat has neither the power driver seat or the mirror that adjusts when people come up behind you with headlights that blind you. The auto dim was very nice sometimes.

VW seems behind.... This will be my last VW....

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
VW seems behind.... This will be my last VW....

Agree when you start looking at the specs of other vehicles side by side with the Passat/Golf and Jetta. If you want some the technology package on these cars you quickly out price the competition making the others manufacturers a better deal.
Looking to replace my toted Passat right now. If I did the same Passat SE/Sunroof one disappointment is the 18" rims. Driving 20-25k a year those tires get very expensive. The Golf I really like but not sure I can give up the trunk space which is my delima right now. I like the Jetta but can't get comfortable in the seat for a driving position.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
What about the Golf Sportwagen? That would give you a good amount of room. I may go kick the tires on one this weekend if anyone has one I can test drive. Haven't given up on a 4 door Golf either.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
WHen I bought the Passat for $25K the JSW was over 30K

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm pretty sure these are the real deal: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/lighting-3/oem-3ab941751-3ab941752-original-vw-passat/

discussion here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375226

more discussion here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431254

I have a set sitting in my bedroom waiting to get installed... one of these days. :)

It's noteworthy that the LED arrays are not daytime running lights. They are regular parking/running lights, as China does not use daytime running lights (at least not on the Passats or anything else I have come across in my research thus far).

Last edited:

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I'm pretty sure these are the real deal: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/lighting-3/oem-3ab941751-3ab941752-original-vw-passat/

discussion here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375226

more discussion here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431254

I have a set sitting in my bedroom waiting to get installed... one of these days. :)

It's noteworthy that the LED arrays are not daytime running lights. They are regular parking/running lights, as China does not use daytime running lights (at least not on the Passats or anything else I have come across in my research thus far).

Cool deal. do you mind posting a picture of yours? curious to see what they look like

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
The ones compu_85 posted plus the following...

low beam

high beam

dude, those are nice. I'm Jealz.. I'm having Nav issues right now and My 510 is scheduled to be replaced.. I've been reluctant to spend money on anything until this issue is resolved.

The ones you have is it plug and play installation?

and what made you choose those over this one? (this is the one Im considering)

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-r...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=PASSAT+B7+NMS+BI-XENON

VeeDubTDI

TDI
They are definitely not plug-and-play. Getting them working correctly (with AFS and everything) requires extensive modification to the vehicle's lighting including upgrading to OE Chinese market LED tail lights, adding wiring, recoding the body control module's lighting program, and more.

The ones you linked from Amazon are just Chinese reproductions that have limited functionality by comparison (no AFS, for example) and likely have an inferior build quality. The trade off is functionality and quality for plug-and-play operation and low price.

Jason and I are OEM+ guys and we're willing to spend the extra money and time to get a top-notch final product.

Last edited:

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
They are definitely not plug-and-play. Getting them working correctly (with AFS and everything) requires extensive modification to the vehicle's lighting including upgrading to OE Chinese market LED tail lights, adding wiring, recoding the body control module's lighting program, and more.

The ones you linked from Amazon are just Chinese reproductions that have limited functionality by comparison (no AFS, for example) and likely have an inferior build quality. The trade off is functionality and quality for plug-and-play operation and low price.

Jason and I are OEM+ guys and we're willing to spend the extra money and time to get a top-notch final product.

Ok, Pardon my ignorance but what does AFS stand for?

the ones you have where are they from?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Adaptive Frontlighting Systems (AFS), otherwise known as "steerable" headlights. The projectors will actually turn with the steering wheel a little bit to give you more light around a corner. It's an awesome feature that is difficult (but not impossible) to retrofit on these cars.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Adaptive Frontlighting Systems (AFS), otherwise known as "steerable" headlights. The projectors will actually turn with the steering wheel a little bit to give you more light around a corner. It's an awesome feature that is difficult (but not impossible) to retrofit on these cars.

Well you should post step by step instructions once you guys are done.. its sounds way over my head and with my ride being brand new, I do not feel comfortable cutting wires, especially still under warranty

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Its May, still no sneak or any pics of any kind of the Tenn built 2016. Seems weird if its coming out in say August like "normal". Thats only 3 or 4 months.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Local dealer didn't have a clue, or an expected cut off date for ordering 2015's. Test drove a Passat last night, and there's simply no way I'll ever buy a car again without Xenon headlights. Not that VW ever listens… But seriously, I wasn't sure they were on after driving there in my GTI. I ain't no spring chicken, and really need the good lights. I don't want to have to hack the car, I want them available on the option sheet. Good news is if you don't drive like an idiot GTI can get decent mileage.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Thunderstruck: I hear you re: HID headlights. I'm no spring chicken either, and notice headlight deficiency, but I'll wager the car you test drove came from the factory with the headlights focused too low. I have no idea why they come that way, but they do. A very minor adjustment improves the visibility a great deal.
Still, not even close to HID, but MUCH better than what you experienced.
As for VWoA never listening: mgmt. has done their research, they were looking for a price-point to compete, and in 2012, they nailed it with a very successful rollout of a completely new factory, new car, new engine, etc. etc. Now, several years later, keeping costs down is more important than satisfying the few (yes, the few!) folk that know the difference between a regular headlight and an HID headlight.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
jrm-yes, that's from the head unit on my GTI.
tdiatlast-could have been badly adjusted headlights, but they seemed so dim compared to what I'm used to. As good HID headlights become more and more widespread, I'm guessing they'll start to feel the pressure. I'm not saying they have to be standard, but make them an option on all trim levels. Passat is a great car, just hope they decide it's time to revise it.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
several years back they were quoted that they "must go big" on the mid model refresh in order to stay current, we should see much more updates than what the jetta did. Oh, and they also stated that they wont make the Passat look like a huge jetta minus bumper reflectors ever again